Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scottish Politics Thread

Gabion Groyne

Old-Salt
Having never followed the indulgence of local authorities use of ancient language, have they 'invented' ancient words for internet cafe, ambulance etc as the Welsh have?
Remember listening to Radio nan Gael (sp) when in the middle of the discussion the words 'technological innovation' cropped up, so not always. I like the language and had a stab at it initially to understand the meaning of place names and pronounce them properly, but it's bloody difficult to learn.

Having never followed the indulgence of local authorities use of ancient language, have they 'invented' ancient words for internet cafe, ambulance etc as the Welsh have?

Like microwave is Popty Ping in Welsh, literally the oven that goes ping

Like microwave is Popty Ping in Welsh, literally the oven that goes ping
Interestingly the Welsh for "I've put a frog in the microwave" is "poptysplat ping"

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Even more fun is when they try to Gaelicitise some of the Caithness and Sutherland places which are Norse in origin.

Can't say that I have noticed anything on ambulances

But since formation of Police Scotland the new logo is bilingual, fairly phonetic rather than invented, Poileas Alba.
There are several of them lined up outside my office window as I type. All with both Ambulance and Ambaileans printed on them.

Christ knows why, can't imagine there are many Scots Gaelic speakers around these parts, other than (normally) propping up the bar in the Ben Nevis on a Friday night (excellent bar and to say they're generous with their measures would be an understatement).

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I have posted this before but for the edumakashun of site members here is Doric writ loud

Hilarious and spot on.

With the Nipster saying you can have 8 round for Xmas you are going to have to have one hell of a size of table, and a massive house, to accommodate everyone social distanced :-D

With the Nipster saying you can have 8 round for Xmas you are going to have to have one hell of a size of table, and a massive house, to accommodate everyone social distanced :-D

If you spot a large collection of cars parked outside the neighbours house and the sounds of partying inside, then you should go to your fridge and drink a large glass of milk.

Why? Because milk is good for your teeth.

Do you know what else is good for your teeth?

Keeping your fcuking mouth shut.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
More proof that Wee Nippy's daily CV-19 briefings are more propaganda than information. These, even though she declares regularly that she won't politicise the briefings, have been very political right from the start.

The media were very quiet and complacent at first but are now starting to ask serious, probing questions, something that has been missing from these briefings. It will be interesting to see how her 'popularity rating' remains in the early part of 2021. Whatever it is will be highly manipulated by the very effective SNP media team.

doc80905

War Hero
I like how that link describes 15th Century Shotts as a "dreary moorland place".

As if it wasn't a dreary moorland place now!

Up the Shotts Bon Accord!
The weather system round here always confuses outsiders, no snow 4 miles down the road in Newmains, hit Allanton/Shotts and it's baw deep. I remember a few years back I went to the highland games, shorts and t-shirt on (nice day last weekend in June) paying at the turnstiles at the Bonny I'm wondering if I should have brought a jacket with me, half an hour later we're sheltering in the beer tent as outside was lashed with sleet and mega high winds!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The weather system round here always confuses outsiders, no snow 4 miles down the road in Newmains, hit Allanton/Shotts and it's baw deep. I remember a few years back I went to the highland games, shorts and t-shirt on (nice day last weekend in June) paying at the turnstiles at the Bonny I'm wondering if I should have brought a jacket with me, half an hour later we're sheltering in the beer tent as outside was lashed with sleet and mega high winds!
Any excuse to get in to the beer tent eh?

Any excuse to get in to the beer tent eh?
It’s why the game of Cricket was invented! Some of my most memorable (I think) piss ups were at Cricket grounds.

Never, ever, ever go anywhere in Scotland without a jacket ;-)

Latest Threads