Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scottish Politics Thread

Doubt any party would put ending devolution on a manifesto.

Did you not notice all the back pedalling and clarifications from SC&U when Boris denounced it.
What would be nice would be a commitment to put the ending of devolution as a separate question in any future independence referendum.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Devolution for England next perhaps. Then all four regions have devolution but revise how responsibilities are devolved? Try and get the best parts of it to work and reduce the need for so many SNP etc to visit London and lecture everyone else while failing at their primary responsibilities?
A Federal UK, now why has this never been suggested before? ;)

A Federal UK, now why has this never been suggested before? ;)
Listening to a discussion about this on the IEA talk a few days ago, it was mentioned that it's a crap system but under the circumstances it might be one way to keep the Union together. If we are going to have devolved government in three regions of the UK we may as well have four. When people realise how crap and divisive it is they can have a referendum about reform and reducing the responsibilities to more local matters, such as at council level.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
How interesting. I've just switched on Reporting Scotland to hear their slant on it. Pfffffffffff....!
Probably because it was released 3days ago so has already been discussed as whether news worthy or not.

In fact you can read many such letters

Both sides of the spectrum publish them

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
That's just replaced the old GLC, in effect except with added w@nker as a mayor. Not quite the same. But nice try :)

Boris did use London assembly and his Mayor as example of his support for devolution

Michael Gove writes a nice letter and I love the wee twist in the tail at the end:
"The Scottish Government received £1.2 billion additional funding from Spending Round 2019, which included Barnett consequentials in relation to preparations for the end of the transition period. The Scottish Government will also receive a further £19.5 million of Barnett consequentials from the recent borders funding exercise. I would be grateful for an update on how this money has been allocated for the benefit of citizens and businesses in Scotland to support their preparedness. "

HCL

LE
Michael Gove writes a nice letter and I love the wee twist in the tail at the end:
"The Scottish Government received £1.2 billion additional funding from Spending Round 2019, which included Barnett consequentials in relation to preparations for the end of the transition period. The Scottish Government will also receive a further £19.5 million of Barnett consequentials from the recent borders funding exercise. I would be grateful for an update on how this money has been allocated for the benefit of citizens and businesses in Scotland to support their preparedness. "

Just where is a Duke of Cumberland when you need one?

Latest Threads