Scottish Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Fang_Farrier, Feb 10, 2015.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So journos are complaining that they aren't able to get their "scoop" because info requested under FOI will be released more openly? I am reading that right, aren't I, they're complaining because they won't be able to manipulate things so easily at the break of the story as everyone will be able to see the offending info at the same time?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Now of the two below which do you interpret as the reasoning from ScotGov.

‘parliament should render government transparent’

SYNONYMS
    frank, open, candid, honest, direct, forthright, unreserved, plain-spoken, straight, straightforward, ingenuous, innocent, guileless, simple, artless

accountable

informal upfront

Or

‘federalism renders the decision-making process opaque and bureaucratic’

SYNONYMS
    obscure, unclear, dense, uncertain, indeterminate, mysterious, puzzling, perplexing, baffling, mystifying, confusing, enigmatic, inexplicable, unexplained, concealed, hidden, unfathomable, incomprehensible, impenetrable, vague, ambiguous, Delphic, indefinite, indistinct, hazy, foggy, nebulous, equivocal, doubtful, dubious, oblique, elliptical, oracular, cryptic, deep, abstruse, recondite, arcane, esoteric, recherché

informal as clear as mud

ANTONYMS
    limpid, clear

3. I am sorry to say that all those who left getting tickets to Alex's show to the last moment will be disappointed, but there may be hope as he has had to extend his run twice to cater for the demand.

4. HMRC will appreciate his additional contributions...once declared.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Like the little known SNP "fancy dress" calendar where Nicola went as a Victoria's Secret model and Eck got the budgie smugglers on?

(Oh, how I love making the hungover vomit on a Sunday.....)

6. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Looks like the media is all for FofI, provided they can control it.

Personally I think this is a brilliant way to deal with FofI requests, somebody asks for the info do tell everyone this making it totally open.

Journal can go and do one if they want exclusive access to information available to all.

• Like Like x 2
  7. As with lots of these FoIs it is knowing what question to ask.

• Like Like x 1
  8. FOI has been a god send for Lazy Journalists who bulk send FOI requests and then build stories around the results they tend not to get scoops from them as we know any damaging Information is withheld by Scotgov

9. I know someone who's job included providing the responses to foi requests. He delighted in answering the requests as literally as possible, and was responsible for one of the most often quoted pieces of misinformation I have seen.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. I think this is little more than the SNP acknowledging they're never going to convince a large number of voters in Scotland of their Independence drive. Change the name, it all goes away and everyone will then vote for them.

Just shows what the sNP actually think of the people of Scotland, the phrase "as thick as mince" springs to mind :x

• Like Like x 2
  11. The SNP taken the Scottish electorate for granted certainly became apparent in the last GE.

Sturgeon admitting the SNP have a problem with staunch nationalism is refreshing a welcome, however getting the SNP to actually action things within the party (i.e. Mindset) rather than simply attempting to just change its party name is pathetic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  12. After two Lid Dem MPs being challenged over expenses,Vince Cable defends MPs over spending claims - BBC News
    The First Minister is covering all demographics with a wee word or two.
    Vince Cable defends MPs over spending claims - BBC News
    Meanwhile the paperwork is still not up to scratch despite the hard work of ScotGov to get it right
    Lawyers' concerns over attempts to fix named person plans - BBC News

Fans of the Purge films may wish to consult the big book of crimes to avoid gaol time.
    Think tank calls for ban on jail terms of less than six months - BBC News

So fellow arrsers which criminal actions can we indulge in without a slap on the wrist.....
    Although pointing your firearm at someone may be a career breaker, the CC is trying to control his temper so is a tad distracted just now.
    Police watchdog investigation after gun pointed at householder - BBC News

13. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

From my reading the LibDems have skirted around the edges of legality with regard to election expenses, splitting costs between National and local to suit their purposes and claiming a certain amount of leaflets as "undelivered" to bring them just below the limits in several constituencies. But I would be surprised if all parties were not doing the same.

The ban on less than 6 month sentences has been called for before, might make sense but where do you draw the line.

Gives guns to people, they tend to point them at folk! Why give them them otherwise.

• Like Like x 1