Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scottish Politics Thread

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Fancy a job as a contact tracers?

Apparently we need 17 of them up here on 25-31k.

Please apply, if only so I can get some of my staff back who were given no choice in the matter. Still they are finding it marginally more interesting than when they had to stand at health centre doors "gel your hands, wear a mask, gel your hands, wear a mask"

Please apply, if only so I can get some of my staff back who were given no choice in the matter. Still they are finding it marginally more interesting than when they had to stand at health centre doors "gel your hands, wear a mask, gel your hands, wear a mask"
Out of interest is that wage more than your staff are on as it seems quite high for what it is and I’m trying to fathom the rational for the wage vs what they actually have to do (in respect of contact tracers that is).

Is that taking into account the current fiscal deficit of 9% of GDP.

You'll be lucky to be issued a cap gun, just don't hold out for any caps....

JB
Have a look at this, should give you a good laugh. From the SNP defence spokesman and one of their councillors.

Some snippets:

Naval
6 x Frigates
6 x Subs
6 x MCV
9 x O/PV
Faslane to be shared, but no Nukes allowed

Land
3 x Dropshorts
2 x Light armoured
1 x Transport
1 x Medical
1 x Logisitcs
1 x Engineering
0 x Infantry
All described as "units", buggered if I know what that means.

Air
16 x Typhoon
6 x C130J
"partnership" arrangement for Lossie

You genuinely couldn't make this stuff up, these people are absolute idiots, it's genuinely terrifying that they hold the reigns of power in Scotland and have such a massive voter base.

my dentist sent out a signal on faceache last night that she is now allowed to carry out dental inspections - but she still cant do a scale and polish or anything that would risk air particles etc. Small steps - we might soon find out how many people have serious dental/health issues and the cost of the continued moribund on dental health treatment. Bearing in mind Scottish population dental health can be a bit dodgy I am expecting the results are going to be sadly very high.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Have a look at this, should give you a good laugh. From the SNP defence spokesman and one of their councillors.

Some snippets:

Naval
6 x Frigates
6 x Subs
6 x MCV
9 x O/PV

Land
3 x Dropshorts
2 x Light armoured
1 x Transport
1 x Medical
1 x Logisitcs
1 x Engineering
0 x Infantry

Air
16 x Typhoon
6 x C130J

You genuinely couldn't make this stuff up, these people are absolute idiots, it's genuinely terrifying that they hold the reigns of power in Scotland and have such a massive voter base.
They don't need Infantry, they have
maxresdefault.jpg

Some snippets:

Naval
6 x Frigates
6 x Subs
6 x MCV
9 x O/PV

Land
3 x Dropshorts
2 x Light armoured
1 x Transport
1 x Medical
1 x Logisitcs
1 x Engineering
0 x Infantry

Air
16 x Typhoon
6 x C130J

From the link;

“The line from the 2014 White Paper still stands: the speediest, safe removal of the nuclear weapons stored at HMNB Clyde. The process will be Scotland’s first opportunity to demonstrate that it is a reliable and predictable security partner, and similarly it will be the rUK’s first opportunity to demonstrate that it can be trusted to respect Scotland’s sovereignty. The priority must of course be the safety of those in the areas surrounding Faslane, and that of those in the areas of England or Wales where the infrastructure may be rehoused. What is in no doubt is the future of Faslane as the tri-service headquarters of an independent Scottish Armed Forces, with the permanent jobs and residents that this will allow us to create in the local area.”

Chris also references the 2014 White Paper but suggests an approach that would see Trident removed once the system reaches the end of its life

“The policy would be that Trident Nuclear submarines should be removed as speedily and safely as possible. It is almost certain that NATO would make a membership stipulation that Scotland continues to allow the UK to house the Trident Fleet and the successor Dreadnought programme at Faslane and Coulport. This would not be an acceptable criteria for membership and if this was an absolute then Scotland would withdraw support for NATO. However, I believe the strategic importance of HMNB Clyde to the alliance would allow for a softening of NATO position. However, many players would be ‘in play’. To the earlier point on EU/NATO, France is both EU member and NATO member. If the SSBN fleet had to leave Clyde and the UK Government came under extreme risk in that a suitable and affordable position could not be sourced then potential options could be to house the programme in France, the USA, or to scrap the programme completely. Political pressure on the French Government would be immense if both the rUK scrapped its strategic nuclear deterrent – because France would be the only country in the alliance providing the political shield to US possession, or if British Nuclear weapons were to come to French shores. The French relationship with Nuclear power would support the second point which means the French Government may play hardball on the issue.

Therefore a pragmatic, and unpopular political, approach may be to set the deadline for removal of the Trident fleet at the end of its lifespan. With this prospect the UK Gov would likely suspend the successor programme and aim to increase the life of the Trident fleet to 2032. If Scotland were to vote for independence in 2022 then this would be a timeline that would potentially appease partner states. However, my position is for the quickest and safest way to remove the fleet from the Clyde and it should not be underestimated the difficulty for an independent Government to deviate from that position. If it did seek a compromise position to secure removal then this would naturally be a huge issue at a negotiating table.

Makes for good reading.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Out of interest is that wage more than your staff are on as it seems quite high for what it is and I’m trying to fathom the rational for the wage vs what they actually have to do (in respect of contact tracers that is).

This is very much a depends answer.

NHS pay is banded.
This is a band 5 which is usually around a registered nurse level.
The dental staff redeployed are nurses (Band 4) or Oral health Educators) so for some it would be more money, others equal amount.
However.
They are currently redeployed so their base is still up in East Sutherland or Easter Ross. They are having to travel to Inverness every day. Whilst redeployed they get travel time and paid mileage. Basically 4 days work gives them enough TOIL for a day off. Mileage approx 40-50 miles each way at 49p a mile, no car sharing allowed due to Covid!
Also because not working at their base, they can theoretically claim a food allowance (on production of receipt)
So mileage approx. £5 a day plus food £5 a day is possibly extra £10 per day.

If they applied for a secondment, their base would then be Inverness, no travel time, no mileage. Plus at end of secondment although there will be a post for them, it might not be the same post that they left.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
my dentist sent out a signal on faceache last night that she is now allowed to carry out dental inspections - but she still cant do a scale and polish or anything that would risk air particles etc. Small steps - we might soon find out how many people have serious dental/health issues and the cost of the continued moribund on dental health treatment. Bearing in mind Scottish population dental health can be a bit dodgy I am expecting the results are going to be sadly very high.

Some excerpts rom an email the day.
Basically we can do more stuff but on only a few patients a day, treatment has been free since March, this stops and patients will now pay NHS fees.
Para 5 indicates that they are going to use this to change how NHS dentistry is funded (hopefully nothing like the English model which has been widely criticised)
ScotGov are still providing free PPE for NHS patients, it looks like a mix of standard (for extractions, denture work) and enhanced (fillings, crowns)

Background
1. The majority of dental practices in Scotland are open and have been operating under Phase 3 guidance. This includes providing aerosol generating procedures (AGPs) for patients in need of urgent dental care from 17 August.

2. From 1 November we are moving to phase 4 of the NHS Dental Remobilisation Plan. This means that NHS dental contractors will be able to provide the full range of NHS treatments to all patients in need of both urgent and non-urgent care. We understand that dental practices will require time to fully adapt to this new level of remobilising. It is also recognised that while NHS patients can now receive the full range of NHS treatments, it is not business as usual, because of the current constraints patient numbers will remain lower than normal and dental teams will have to continue to prioritise patients based on oral health needs. Our public-facing exercise in the coming weeks will help support this message.

3. In order to support this remobilisation NHS dental contractors will receive additional stocks of PPE (further details below), increasing the capability to see more patients. We are also increasing the NHS financial support, subject to NHS dental contractors meeting certain conditions, including minimum levels of activity. The financial support measures will operate until they are no longer required.

4. The item of service fee (and patient charge element) is being brought back and integrated within the current set of emergency payments to provide an enhanced package of financial support (again further details below). This is a temporary situation, as we intimated in the recent CDO letter of 12 October we need to bring back a familiar system of dental care as an interim arrangement before embarking on a future reform programme.

The Future of NHS Dental Services in Scotland
5. The Scottish Government recognises that this is a very uncertain time for NHS dental contractors in Scotland. The present situation represents a unique public health crisis that highlights the need for future change. The present payments model predicated on item of service has not performed well in the current set of circumstances. We will therefore be looking at alternative models that offer a more sustainable and predictable income stream for NHS dental contractors in the future. The intention is to consult widely once we have completed this stage of remobilisation on the longer-term outlook for NHS dentistry in Scotland.

Guidance
6. Dental practices should employ all reasonable mitigations to reduce the potential risk of SARS-CoV-2 transmission from dental aerosols. AGPs should only be provided if the surgical space has appropriate ventilation. Clearance of infectious particles after an AGP is dependent on the ventilation and rate of air change within treatment rooms which must be decontaminated after completion of an AGP. Dental teams should be mindful of the need to maintain physical distancing and other measures to ensure a COVID-secure workplace in staff communal areas.

PPE Distribution and Stocks
8. Dental practices will now receive additional stocks of both standard and enhanced sets of PPE per dentist, including single use face masks, to support them in providing the full range of NHS treatments available under these arrangements. It is expected that patient throughput will remain reduced, around 20-30% of pre-COVID footfall. The supply will be based on seeing 10 patients per dentist (and nurse) per day of whom 5 patients can be seen for an aerosol generated procedure.
9. The same process of local distribution will be held in place to support practices PPE requirements. This PPE will continue to be provided free of charge, until the end of this financial year, providing it is used for NHS patients.

I'm not sure what you find "old" about my post @dun_n_dusted the article is from September this year and perfectly relevant to highlighting the utter lunacy that is the mind of a SNP politician.

The story goes on and on

It makes my bloody skin crawl to say this, but, Salmond may be right.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
It's like watching an Old Firm match, where somehow you want both sides to lose . . .
If it is a draw, will there be Penalties?

SWIDT? :)

Latest Threads