Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scottish Politics Thread

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You being a Libdem you need all the votes you can get :-D

My current MP is LibDem, And has been since boundary changes formed the constituency in 1997. (Apart from a wee SNP period after their 2015 landslide)

Dredd

LE
Never understand tactical voting.

Even if whom you vote for wins, it's still not your preferred choice.

The purpose is not to get who you want, but to not get who you don't.

Reasonably simple to understand, but is really just the Prisoner's Dilemma writ large.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The purpose is not to get who you want, but to not get who you don't.

Reasonably simple to understand, but is really just the Prisoner's Dilemma writ large.

I understand the principle, just not my idea of how we should vote

I understand the principle, just not my idea of how we should vote

The trials and tribulations of a democratic system, in a perfect system everyone would get the representative they would wish, then unicorns and free stuff would follow.

But until that nirvana arrives, the rest of us must make compromises and vote for the least worse option.

Ask Magic Grandad how that worked for him...

JB

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Vote Tory, get SNP isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Strangely enough, the North of Scotland and the Northern Isles have been LibDem for decades, no hope for SC&U or SLab.

But until that nirvana arrives, the rest of us must make compromises and vote for the least worse option.
Sadly the least worse option is getting worse by the day!(and not just in Scotland)
How long before "None of the above" becomes an option on the ballot paper?

Sadly the least worse option is getting worse by the day!(and not just in Scotland)
How long before "None of the above" becomes an option on the ballot paper?

Unfortunately, if you vote for none of the above, you can't then complain when you are represented by one of the above that collective Muppets have voted for and you have made no attempt to oppose.

Harsh, but such is life...

JB

Dredd

LE
nippy.jpg

Going by the headlines Elsie will cripple the pubs and restaurants in the central belt for another week and as 3 is not enough she is possibly going for a 5 tier system, because it is more Scottish :-D

Going by the headlines Elsie will cripple the pubs and restaurants in the central belt for another week and as 3 is not enough she is possibly going for a 5 tier system, because it is more Scottish :-D
I'm just amazed she hasn't announced a border closure like Wales has, her gusset must be absolutely dripping at the thought.

It's not the will of the English that is helping the independence cause, it's the apathy of the English.

That and support for Scottish independence is stronger in England than in Scotland

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I'm just amazed she hasn't announced a border closure like Wales has, her gusset must be absolutely dripping at the thought.
My thoughts exactly. She would love to put a border between Scotland and England then later point out how well we did without them, conveniently ignoring all the financial and medical assistance flowing north. By med assistance I mean the work being done to find a vaccine and other efforts to fight the virus which we benefit from.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
My thoughts exactly. She would love to put a border between Scotland and England then later point out how well we did without them, conveniently ignoring all the financial and medical assistance flowing north. By med assistance I mean the work being done to find a vaccine and other efforts to fight the virus which we benefit from.

In terms of medical, there are elements of testing that are cross border.

Also the mobile testing was initially carried out by UK Military personnel before being taken over by Ambulance Service

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
In terms of medical, there are elements of testing that are cross border.

Also the mobile testing was initially carried out by UK Military personnel before being taken over by Ambulance Service
I appreciate that but you miss the point of my tongue in cheek post. It matters little who does what and where, SNP pov will be "Look, we don't need England" while ignoring all that flows, both ways, in the normal day to day life.

Dredd

LE

You meant Irish - as they already have the 5 tier gubbins.

And then complain when everyone is confused about the over-complication of what should be simple things.

And just as a reminder - the track'n'trace app they are so proud of is also Irish.

Dredd

LE
I am surprised no one on here has mentioned this one yet:

In essence, Wee Nippy has been called out by the national Government as an outright liar and apart from a brief article or two in the media, it seems to be just accepted.

Is this seriously how far our politics has fallen in that a self-styled statesperson and TV personality can just tell fabricated lies and no one blinks an eye? Of course, it could be one of two things:

A] Doesn't matter what the truth is, the anti-Westminster message is now so ingrained as to be acceptable practice, with little or no foundation necessary, or

B] Since Nippy has no real credibility as anything other than a minor political figure, it means whatever tripe it comes out with is irrelevant.

I am surprised no one on here has mentioned this one yet:

In essence, Wee Nippy has been called out by the national Government as an outright liar and apart from a brief article or two in the media, it seems to be just accepted.

Is this seriously how far our politics has fallen in that a self-styled statesperson and TV personality can just tell fabricated lies and no one blinks an eye? Of course, it could be one of two things:

A] Doesn't matter what the truth is, the anti-Westminster message is now so ingrained as to be acceptable practice, with little or no foundation necessary, or

B] Since Nippy has no real credibility as anything other than a minor political figure, it means whatever tripe it comes out with is irrelevant.
She is indeed full of it. I'll be careful with what I say here, PERSEC and all that, but I'm in a position to know about this.

The Lighthouse labs, like any other have a finite capacity to meet demand within the agreed TAT of test results, when that capacity is reached it is quite right to ship some work to another site that is being underutilised, it's better that than breach the TAT and have a potentially asymptomatic positive case wandering around. Just so happens that the greater Glasgow area (where the Scottish lighthouse lab is located) has a very high incidence rate of COVID at the moment with demand on the laboratories being correspondingly high. The lighthouse labs operate independent to the "normal" NHS laboratory network, ergo, the samples would be sent to the next nearest lighthouse facility (probably MK). Essentially this boils down to, really fecking busy ATM, let's get some of the guys who are not so busy to help out so that we don't end up delaying results getting back, essentially the opposite of what wee Nippy has said.

That's not to say there aren't issues with the Lighthouse labs, but I won't go into that.

Last edited:

Latest Threads