Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scottish Politics Thread

Polyester

War Hero
A question that is also perplexing the Irish...
Would it be safe to say that the current “government” in Scotland are aware of what you now know? I mean in an official capacity. And if that’s the case then they are misleading the voting population?

Apologies if that question sounds naive but you’ve piqued my interest. It aligns (in fact, reinforces) something I heard a few weeks ago.

Sturgeon is lying through her teeth when she says that an independent Scotland will keep Sterling.

Perhaps she's intending to dig up the grave of Sterling Moss so she can keep her promise

Lets give her the benefit of the doubt that she's not lying for a moment

Why is she asleep right now?

Impossible her lips might move in her sleep she might misspeak in sleep, so sleeping is no evidence of not lying

Polyester

War Hero
She’s lying alright. And not just about the EU or her erstwhile boss.

That fool Hamza Yousaf is another one we need rid of sharpish. Nasty piece of work and currently having his backside handed to him by the faculty of advocates. Thank god.

Mick9abf

War Hero
Would it be safe to say that the current “government” in Scotland are aware of what you now know? I mean in an official capacity. And if that’s the case then they are misleading the voting population?

Apologies if that question sounds naive but you’ve piqued my interest. It aligns (in fact, reinforces) something I heard a few weeks ago.

Misleading the voting population.......The reality is that the SNP would grand slam themselves if they gained independence as the reality is they know we’d be making Greece look like an economy to aspire to.

Powers - If they wanted more autonomy they could have had more years ago but knocked back the ones which would make them unpopular; much as the party faithful might be impressed by fatty Blackford strutting about Westminster and St Nic chopsing off with the “we’re doing what we can with the powers we currently have” soundbites a large proportion of people can see they are delusional but maybe ain’t as vocal as the SNP about it.

They also know, as has been covered numerous times, that the reality is that likelihood of the BofE underwriting their bat shit crazy fiscal policies as an independent state are about the same odds as me winning the euro millions not to mention Spain would veto any entry to the EU for the fear of the Catalonia trying to follow suit.

I could go on but it’s all been covered before numerous times.

Misleading the voting population.......The reality is that the SNP would grand slam themselves if they gained independence as the reality is they know we’d be making Greece look like an economy to aspire to.

Powers - If they wanted more autonomy they could have had more years ago but knocked back the ones which would make them unpopular; much as the party faithful might be impressed by fatty Blackford strutting about Westminster and St Nic chopsing off with the “we’re doing what we can with the powers we currently have” soundbites a large proportion of people can see they are delusional but maybe ain’t as vocal as the SNP about it.

They also know, as has been covered numerous times, that the reality is that likelihood of the BofE underwriting their bat shit crazy fiscal policies as an independent state are about the same odds as me winning the euro millions not to mention Spain would veto any entry to the EU for the fear of the Catalonia trying to follow suit.

Besides if the SNP really cared about independence, they would be demanding England have a vote on Scottish independence as it's the only way they can guarantee victory

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Besides if the SNP really cared about independence, they would be demanding England have a vote on Scottish independence as it's the only way they can guarantee victory
True, then if they did get it they could blame the English when it goes tits up or blame the English if they don't get Indy! Job jobbed for the SNP!

NSP

LE
Yep recall reading somewhere the EU is now expecting them to become a net contributor as opposed to the freebie the ROI has been on for the last 20+ years
Presumably Brussels is looking for plugs for the holes in their finances left by us not filling their coffers any more...?

Polyester

War Hero

Understood. I am specifically interested in what the SNP leadership know about the legal and fiscal arrangement with the EU, what discussions they have had with the EU and how they have acted on that information.

Polyester

War Hero
True, then if they did get it they could blame the English when it goes tits up or blame the English if they don't get Indy! Job jobbed for the SNP!
Angus Robertson once told me that the leadership under Alex Salmond never wanted independence. They wanted Devomax. The circumstances of that discussion were pretty strange to say the least given that I am unionist. He only clocked on later in the discussion.

Yep recall reading somewhere the EU is now expecting them to become a net contributor as opposed to the freebie the ROI has been on for the last 20+ years

Ireland has been a net contributor to the EU for the last 7 years.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Ireland has been a net contributor to the EU for the last 7 years.
Is that due to the offshore tax they have been raking in?

giatttt

Old-Salt
Scotland gaining Independence would make the Darien Scheme look like a really good idea by comparison. Only this time England is unlikely to bail us out.

On the plus side, for England and the USA, there will be a much cheaper alternative to Indian call centres, and with a slightly better grasp of English idioms.

Scotland gaining Independence would make the Darien Scheme look like a really good idea by comparison. Only this time England is unlikely to bail us out.

On the plus side, for England and the USA, there will be a much cheaper alternative to Indian call centres, and with a slightly better grasp of English idioms.

But an Indian accent is easier to understand

Latest Threads