Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scottish Politics Thread

shellbackmac

Old-Salt
Veering away from Scottish politics just a tad but politics none the less.......

I am a Frank Zappa nut and have just finished a biography that I picked up recently. Zappa always reminded his fans of the need to vote as he considered it the bedrock of democracy, even going so far as having voter registration booths installed at the back of concert halls in the States. Famous for his risque sense of humour, during the 1988 presidential election he put out t-shirts and flyers with the following message:

"LICK BUSH IN '88"

Apparently the Democrats liked his support but for some reason didn't think Franks message was appropriate!

:D:D:D:D

Last edited:

Rod924

LE
Kit Reviewer
If you recall Useless' venomous 'White!' Speech, this will make you chuckle

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
You got me there care to shed some light?
Its a spoof. Just a little bit of black humour with some white lies!

A vote for the SNP on Scottish election day does not necessarily mean a yes vote on a referendum (even Sturgeon admitted that). I am still convinced (as I was last time) that the majority of people living in Scotland and eligible to vote on a yes/no referendum will understand that the maths don't add up and come polling day will vote no.

I wish I shared your certainty. Personally I can well believe the polls and am grateful another vote isn't imminent.

Emotion often trumps reason when it comes to nationalism and, since the last referendum, I think events have increased the sense of Scotland being apart from the UK.

The Brexit vote is obvious, but I think the long term damage was less the 'dragged out against our will' but more the fact the leave campaign relied so much on firing up the 'Little Englander'.

Secondly we now have (my opinion, and subject to change through his term) the worst Prime Minister of my lifetime. Significantly he got the job, ultimately, due to him being born into the English establishment.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I wish I shared your certainty. Personally I can well believe the polls and am grateful another vote isn't imminent.

Emotion often trumps reason when it comes to nationalism and, since the last referendum, I think events have increased the sense of Scotland being apart from the UK.

The Brexit vote is obvious, but I think the long term damage was less the 'dragged out against our will' but more the fact the leave campaign relied so much on firing up the 'Little Englander'.

Secondly we now have (my opinion, and subject to change through his term) the worst Prime Minister of my lifetime. Significantly he got the job, ultimately, due to him being born into the English establishment.
There is a long way to go before the Scottish elections. Sturgeon (pbuh) is living on the CV-19 outbreak in which she has used the daily briefing brilliantly - even to the extent that some actually believe her when she says she is being apolitical ! :). Once the actual running of Scotland is analysed and discussed her approval rating may not stay so high. She still has a lot of questions regarding health, police, transport, housing, education in Scotland, questions that to date she has deflected and not answered.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
There is a long way to go before the Scottish elections. Sturgeon (pbuh) is living on the CV-19 outbreak in which she has used the daily briefing brilliantly - even to the extent that some actually believe her when she says she is being apolitical ! :). Once the actual running of Scotland is analysed and discussed her approval rating may not stay so high. She still has a lot of questions regarding health, police, transport, housing, education in Scotland, questions that to date she has deflected and not answered.

Unfortunately I suspect that any questions around such issues will be deflected by reference to Covid, its impact etc.

A vote for the SNP on Scottish election day does not necessarily mean a yes vote on a referendum (even Sturgeon admitted that). I am still convinced (as I was last time) that the majority of people living in Scotland and eligible to vote on a yes/no referendum will understand that the maths don't add up and come polling day will vote no.The SNP will win again in the Sottish elections, but that is down to a poor opposition and the fact that many Scots still can't bring themselves to vote for "Thatchers" party.
COVID has reinforced the idea that we are better together as Scotland could not have survived as well financially without the UK's help and it's recovery will be quicker with the UK's help. Notice I said the UK's help and not England's.
Morning murph.
an interesting post, from the perspective of an Englishman I would say you’ve got a bit of a problem then.
if most Scots “ cannot bring themselves to vote for a party because of a dead leader “, even though the current one is about as far from a Thatcherite as is possible to be, you really have a juvenile electorate.
Scotland may have liked the largess shovelled it’s way by successive labour administrations , but it has successfully shot that pet golden goose on its own. So that leaves you with the current mob.
Better together with the uks help eh! But Cannot stand to admit where most of that help gets payed for.!
It’s juvenile attitudes like that that the rest of the U.K. sees all the time now
and it’s winning you no new friends.
ive said it before but it stands repeating, Scots who want to retain the union had better start standing up and fighting their own fight because to hide behind the old belief that we can pander to the nats ( or at least avoid their abuse by agreeing in public with them) and the english will keep paying because they don’t want to loose Scotland, is now wearing very thin indeed with many voters down here.
Like the bolshy teenager threatening to leave home if you can’t have their friends around scotland is getting closer to hearing “ don’t let the door hit you arse on the way out”
And I say that regretfully as someone who would never have thought like that 10 years ago.

You had me on board until the point in bold which is pure crap.

Strong and stable May was far better.

As was Dave.

And Broon.

And the Liar.

And the Grey one.

Same circus, different clowns.
disorder-in-the-court.jpg

You had me on board until the point in bold which is pure crap.

It's my opinion so, whilst you may disagree vehemently, it can not be 'pure crap'.

Johnson is a man of no integrity who, if one follows the history of both his career and personal life, has always put himself first regardless of what lies that has required. I have no idea what his politics actually are. Where's the plan for where we see ourselves at Brexit or Brexit + 5, 10, 15 years? Other than the intellectually empty populism of 'more police, morw NHS spending' where are the policies to effectively improve any aspect of public life?

Where's his confidence to argue the case for his (absent) vision? He ducks any media that would offer serious, intelligent scrutiny and his government is selected on loyalty to the leader, not by ability to manage a government department. Neither Thatcher or Blair for all their faults were afraid to argue their case in public (can you imagine Thatcher hiding in a fridge?) and both recognised the broader strength of having able people cabinet who would offer sn opposing view.

He's a man for whom the achieving the position of PM was the goal not what he might achieve for the country in that office.

It's my opinion so, whilst you may disagree vehemently, it can not be 'pure crap'.

Johnson is a man of no integrity who, if one follows the history of both his career and personal life, has always put himself first regardless of what lies that has required. I have no idea what his politics actually are. Where's the plan for where we see ourselves at Brexit or Brexit + 5, 10, 15 years? Other than the intellectually empty populism of 'more police, morw NHS spending' where are the policies to effectively improve any aspect of public life?

Where's his confidence to argue the case for his (absent) vision? He ducks any media that would offer serious, intelligent scrutiny and his government is selected on loyalty to the leader, not by ability to manage a government department. Neither Thatcher or Blair for all their faults were afraid to argue their case in public (can you imagine Thatcher hiding in a fridge?) and both recognised the broader strength of having able people cabinet who would offer sn opposing view.

He's a man for whom the achieving the position of PM was the goal not what he might achieve for the country in that office.

Boris...grrrr.

Dredd

LE
(can you imagine Thatcher hiding in a fridge?)

No - neither can I imagine a more recent Prime Minister "hiding" in a fridge. As I haven't seen any evidence of that.

Instead I have seen a clip of the current PM on a site tour being hounded by intrusive media asking deliberately facile questions designed to irritate and having the good grace to go to another location on the premises rather than telling them to f*ck off and arrange it via the Media team as per SOP.

Which might have been far more entertaining to be honest.

No - neither can I imagine a more recent Prime Minister "hiding" in a fridge. As I haven't seen any evidence of that.

Instead I have seen a clip of the current PM on a site tour being hounded by intrusive media asking deliberately facile questions designed to irritate and having the good grace to go to another location on the premises rather than telling them to f*ck off and arrange it via the Media team as per SOP.

What's your opinion of him being the only party leader to duck Andrew Neil then?

Regarding the other incident would it make for a healthier democratic debate if the media had simply, without comment, filmed Johnson stacking milk crates?

an interesting post, from the perspective of an Englishman I would say you’ve got a bit of a problem then.
I am English, so my perspective is that of an Englishman. I have lived and served here for over 25 years now. My wife is Scotish and my kids were born here and are being educated here. However I don't have the emotional baggage or the sectarian outlook of many Scots, so I can vote with my head and not my heart.
In my opinion, Scotland hasn't been this divided since the little Italian tried to steal the throne.

I wonder if that's the same media who reportedly 'caught' Prince Charles 'deliberately snubbing' a veteran during a walkabout at the VJ celebrations?

The old boy offered his hand for Charles to shake, but was reminded that current health guidelines make such gestures verboten.

Media scum would've labelled Charlie a threat to public health if he'd accepted the handshake.

Latest Threads