Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scottish Politics Thread

I have to say I detest the phrase “U-turn“. I fail to see at what point in British history that we started correlating changing tack to accommodate new circumstances or to correct a mistake as weak. I don’t support the SNP and I strongly believe in the union but I can’t get behind the idea of Swinney (Or any minister) losing his job when the issue has been corrected. Or am I alone in this?

If it was just one thing then I would agree with you but he has a history of mistakes

The exam fiasco
P1 testing
Named Persons Act
Craighouse

Polyester

War Hero
View attachment 497079

It would appear that the political slant of this thread is not reflected in the wider electorate
Forgive me fang, but where was that sample taken? That would be instructive I think. Though I believe the SNP still do lead. Not that I am overwhelmed with happiness about that.

Polyester

War Hero
If it was just one thing then I would agree with you but he has a history of mistakes

The exam fiasco
P1 testing
Named Persons Act
Craighouse
For which the electorate, if they have any sense will not vote for him to fill the fine constituency of Perthshire North. But I understand your point, his record is very poor. The electorate don’t seem convinced however....

If the Minister has been found to be incompetent then they should go. I contend that Swinney has been found to be incompetent in this, and other roles.

Perhaps you could let us know under what circumstances you would expect a Minister to go as you seem to be turning their job into one that is untouchable?
This fence is giving me splinters :)

I agree the calling for resignations is pathetic, particularly in this case. However, if a minister f*cks up badly, then it's not for us mere tax payers to call for them to go, the PM/1st Minister should do that as it reflects on his own job. In the case of Williamson I think he's in the clear (at least until the next cabinet reshuffle) but Swinney is another matter.

Humza Yousaf's proposed Hate Speech Bill has attracted the attention of Rebel News, a right-wing news organisation based in Canada.

I suppose that he should be pleased with the attention, but if he has upset people far away in Canada, then perhaps he should look at his proposals again. It's rather long at 24 minutes, but they accuse him of racism at 4.50 on, so they may fall foul of this law in future.

Humza Yousaf's proposed Hate Speech Bill has attracted the attention of Rebel News, a right-wing news organisation based in Canada.

I suppose that he should be pleased with the attention, but if he has upset people far away in Canada, then perhaps he should look at his proposals again. It's rather long at 24 minutes, but they accuse him of racism at 4.50 on, so they may fall foul of this law in future.

Yousaf? Sounds suspiciously like useless.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The exact opposite, actually.
Unless, of course, he meant prescribe rather than proscribe.

Whi

The exam fiasco
P1 testing
Named Persons Act
Craighouse

Exams is only a fiasco due to the reversal because of the pressure to reverse the downgrade.

P1, a standardised national test rather than all the different versions used by local authorities was not a bad idea.

Named Person. Said enough about that in the past but despite what folk might think is still alive and well.

All changed due to the intense political and social pressure brought about by opposition parties combined against a minority government.

Craighouse I know nothing about

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Forgive me fang, but where was that sample taken? That would be instructive I think. Though I believe the SNP still do lead. Not that I am overwhelmed with happiness about that.

If this result were replicated on election day it would translate into a majority of around 20 seats, which is even more impressive given the Parliament only contains 129 seats, and the election uses a voting system designed to stop majorities altogether

The exam fiasco
P1 testing
Named Persons Act
Craighouse

Wow, he could give Chris Grayling a run for his money.

Dredd

LE
If this result were replicated on election day it would translate into a majority of around 20 seats, which is even more impressive given the Parliament only contains 129 seats, and the election uses a voting system designed to stop majorities altogether

Another spectacular failure then ;)

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

NSP

LE
Wee Nippy achieving lift off in 3, 2, 1....

The SNP reaction was predictable - they've been claiming the entire credit for spending, even when the cash has come from Westminster. Now they won't be able to do so. With the added bonus that every time they protest about a union flag going on a project, they remind the Scottish people where the money came from.

This seems to be part of a coordinated strategy to chip away at SNP support:
  • Westminster is no longer responding to Wee Nippy's attempt to pick fights with them - they're pointing out she's part of a co-ordinated UK response. As Wee Nippy's strategy is to portray Westminster as a bully, that's been partially neutralised.
  • Covid 19 money for Scotland was directly allocated by Westminster - stopping the SNP directing the spending and claiming credit for it.
  • UK funded projects are now to be flagged as such, stopping the SNP claiming credit for them.
Reducing SNP support is going to take several years - BoJo's government at last seems to be going about it in a logical way.

Wordsmith
The signs will not have been up up five minutes before the Union Flag is scratched off or sprayed over. There's probably a label printer somewhere already cranking out weatherproof self-adhesive Saltires for the hardcore to slap over the top.

When I drove home from Montrose a couple of months back there was nothing marking the border going south but a big "Welcome to Scotland" sign in the mirror, and a flagpole. A few years ago going up from Hartlepool to Aberdeen we got to the big blue "Welcome to Scotland" border sign and there was a flagpole with a huge Saltire up it. There was a flagpole for the St. George but the flag itself had been torn to shreds. The "Welcome to England" sign was heavily vandalised and sprayed with somewhat racist graffiti.

Of course, it could have been defaced by English nationalists (or "the far right" as the media like to call them) wishing to hide anything suggesting our Celtic cousins were welcome.

Either way, it all seems rather petty and childish, really. It's a border marker, FFS. Smashing down one side of it out of petty hatred isn't going to change the border, is it...?!

Last edited:

A vote for the SNP on Scottish election day does not necessarily mean a yes vote on a referendum (even Sturgeon admitted that). I am still convinced (as I was last time) that the majority of people living in Scotland and eligible to vote on a yes/no referendum will understand that the maths don't add up and come polling day will vote no.The SNP will win again in the Sottish elections, but that is down to a poor opposition and the fact that many Scots still can't bring themselves to vote for "Thatchers" party.
COVID has reinforced the idea that we are better together as Scotland could not have survived as well financially without the UK's help and it's recovery will be quicker with the UK's help. Notice I said the UK's help and not England's.

Dredd

LE
I love this picture - it looks like the snap was snatched just as BoJo slipped a finger up Wee Nippy's hoop with his other hand.

safe_image.jpg

Latest Threads