Scottish Politics Thread

offog

LE
Wee Nippy achieving lift off in 3, 2, 1....

The SNP reaction was predictable - they've been claiming the entire credit for spending, even when the cash has come from Westminster. Now they won't be able to do so. With the added bonus that every time they protest about a union flag going on a project, they remind the Scottish people where the money came from.

This seems to be part of a coordinated strategy to chip away at SNP support:
  • Westminster is no longer responding to Wee Nippy's attempt to pick fights with them - they're pointing out she's part of a co-ordinated UK response. As Wee Nippy's strategy is to portray Westminster as a bully, that's been partially neutralised.
  • Covid 19 money for Scotland was directly allocated by Westminster - stopping the SNP directing the spending and claiming credit for it.
  • UK funded projects are now to be flagged as such, stopping the SNP claiming credit for them.
Reducing SNP support is going to take several years - BoJo's government at last seems to be going about it in a logical way.

Wordsmith
I think at one point during t;he start of the lock down the UK gave the countries money to support business but the SNP only gave out a small amount to start with and then increased it when it was pointed out they have grabbed most of it. This could be why the UK is directly funding items to stop them banking the money and using it latter for other tasks.

A nice big Union Flag on every bottle of Buckie......nice!

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
I see no problem with this at all, the SNP had no problem with the EU doing the exact same thing, again with UK money.
Which may present a further problem to the SNP if they push for IndyRef2 - opponents will point out that (a) as we'll be out of the EU by the time it happens and it'll be 5 years before iScotland could rejoin and suck at the EU tit, (b) iScotland may end up a net contributor like the ROI and (c) it was never EU money anyway, it was Westminster's money being recycled by the EU back into Scotland.

Wordsmith

John Swinney just cancelled all exam results that were downgraded and directed that the assessment given by the Class teacher must be allowed.

Huge U-turn and apology from the Dep First Minister - in days of yore that would have resulted in a resignation, his.
But which is worse, a U-turn and large helping of humble pie to correct an admitted mistake, or continuing blindly on, especially after you've seen someone else's train wreck on the same issue?

'Gavin Williamson is facing increasing pressure over the education department’s mishandling of this summer’s exam results in England, with the Liberal Democrats calling on him to resign and Labour demanding that the results be replaced by teacher assessments.'

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
But which is worse, a U-turn and large helping of humble pie to correct an admitted mistake, or continuing blindly on, especially after you've seen someone else's train wreck on the same issue?

'Gavin Williamson is facing increasing pressure over the education department’s mishandling of this summer’s exam results in England, with the Liberal Democrats calling on him to resign and Labour demanding that the results be replaced by teacher assessments.'

Roll-up, roll-up, read all abaht it....

Opposition parties use exam results as stick to beat government over head with.

All the complaints are about teacher specified results being downgraded to more realistic ones. And surprise, surprise, teachers have a vested interest in showing they got their pupils good results.

Given that teachers are - on average - claiming result are 15% better than last year - despite the lack of face to face tuition and supervision - I'd say there is something distinctly rotten the the state of Denmark.

Or to put it another way, the rise in exam performance is sheer, unadulterated bollox...

Wordsmith

Any administration is weak if they can't admit they're wrong.

They're also weak if they admit they're wrong and U turn.

Day 1, week 1 of the B3 politics course.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

The big question is "Was it a mistake?" The professional body overturned by the politicians. If you were an employer, how much weight do you think will be given to this year's results?

Sturgeon collapsed at the first sign of protest. Weak, lack of leadership and looking very much like Mrs May.

offog

LE

I think the difference was that The Saint stuck her oar in and down graded the results and Williamson left it to those who know what they are doing.

Having met a very upset girl yesterday who was expecting a A,B,B and got a B,C,C and who said she did not do well on her mocks the ball was in her court and she should have taken the mocks a bit more seriously. Having said that they are all in the same boat and as Unis desperately need bums on seats I wouldn't worry too much as it is only a stepping stone to the next level.

The big question is "Was it a mistake?" The professional body overturned by the politicians. If you were an employer, how much weight do you think will be given to this year's results?

Sturgeon collapsed at the first sign of protest. Weak, lack of leadership and looking very much like Mrs May.
Strong and stable May?

Polyester

Old-Salt
I have to say I detest the phrase “U-turn“. I fail to see at what point in British history that we started correlating changing tack to accommodate new circumstances or to correct a mistake as weak. I don’t support the SNP and I strongly believe in the union but I can’t get behind the idea of Swinney (Or any minister) losing his job when the issue has been corrected. Or am I alone in this?

Dredd

LE
I have to say I detest the phrase “U-turn“. I fail to see at what point in British history that we started correlating changing tack to accommodate new circumstances or to correct a mistake as weak. I don’t support the SNP and I strongly believe in the union but I can’t get behind the idea of Swinney (Or any minister) losing his job when the issue has been corrected. Or am I alone in this?
I'm actually with you on that.

Constantly calling for heads whenever something is not what the observer actually wants (or just for mischief) has diluted it to the point it is meaningless. Just background noise.

It is why great swathes of the populace have turned off politics now. The theory was that once a population was generally educated it would appreciate the nuances of life to a greater degree. No. No it doesn't.

It is done to feed a media that uses sensationalism to try and draw in the crowds - and boy do the masses keep falling for it, time and again. And while it gives the oxygen of publicity, it also feathers nests.

In the end, no matter how you slice it, it always comes back to one thing:

Somebody somewhere is trying to sell you something.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
If the Minister has been found to be incompetent then they should go. I contend that Swinney has been found to be incompetent in this, and other roles.

Perhaps you could let us know under what circumstances you would expect a Minister to go as you seem to be turning their job into one that is untouchable?

Polyester

Old-Salt
If the Minister has been found to be incompetent then they should go. I contend that Swinney has been found to be incompetent in this, and other roles.

Perhaps you could let us know under what circumstances you would expect a Minister to go as you seem to be turning their job into one that is untouchable?
Not at all. I suspect you and I (from what I have read of your posts) would of similar political leaning. If it had been Ruthie would you have asked for her to go? Dredd has summed it up far better than I. Genuine incompetence should of course be punished, without doubt, but that is the job of the electorate at the polls. No elected parliamentarian is untouchable.

What has happened here is regrettable and did a disservice to a lot youngsters butnobody died and it has been sorted. If the public hate him enough then he will be gone. The proper way.

Dredd

LE
I have no high regard for Swinney either, but I do question the initial assault on the process when heaps of youngsters have been given over-optimistic evaluations and then found they were cut back down to size. There was an appeals process built in but it seems that was never given a chance to work before it was scrapped.

There are a lot of prospective employers and tertiary educators who will be suspicious of the grades handed out with the cornflake packets this year. But I repeat what I said before - getting the grades only gets you into the porch - it doesn't guarantee you get into the house. Those youngsters who deserve to get employment or college / university places will get them. The others will find life doesn't owe them anything if they haven't truly earned it.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Not at all. I suspect you and I (from what I have read of your posts) would of similar political leaning. If it had been Ruthie would you have asked for her to go? Dredd has summed it up far better than I. Genuine incompetence should of course be punished, without doubt, but that is the job of the electorate at the polls. No elected parliamentarian is untouchable.

What has happened here is regrettable and did a disservice to a lot youngsters butnobody died and it has been sorted. If the public hate him enough then he will be gone. The proper way.
I am afraid I disagree with you. To wait for an election just leaves an incompetent person in place for five years. Not a good situation. That is why Party Leaders have shuffles and have certainly sacked people before.

Polyester

Old-Salt
I am afraid I disagree with you. To wait for an election just leaves an incompetent person in place for five years. Not a good situation. That is why Party Leaders have shuffles and have certainly sacked people before.
I believe sackings have occurred to satisfy a capricious media. But that’s fair enough, we can’t agree on everything.

Last edited:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I believe sackings have occurred to satisfy a capricious media. But that’s fair enough, we can’t agree on everything.
He is safe because we are too close to the next Scottish GE plus this is education and Sturgeon said, famously, judge us on education. She can't be seen to look as though education has failed.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
FB_IMG_1597418775315.jpg

It would appear that the political slant of this thread is not reflected in the wider electorate

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Some dentists would like to proscribe compulsory fluoridation of the water supply. A very, very bad idea in my opinion.
Why?

A proven safe method to reduce dental decay especially in Children

Latest Threads