Scottish Politics Thread

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Do qualifications mean anything nowadays?
They do if the final Senior Secondary year is undermined to University, as has happened in my locale when one lad's history of straight "A" performances in 4th & 5th years entrance to Stirling Uni were grenaded by "guess work".
Suffice to say his professional parents are all over it right now..or were till a reset button was pressed.
He's far from an oddball incident. You could not make it up.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
They do if the final Senior Secondary year is undermined to University, as has happened in my locale when one lad's history of straight "A" performances in 4th & 5th years entrance to Stirling Uni were grenaded by "guess work".
Suffice to say his professional parents are all over it right now..or were till a reset button was pressed.
He's far from an oddball incident. You could not make it up.
The difficulty is that just going by prelims and then teachers estimates has given abnormally high pass rates at National, Highers and advanced Higher grades.
All up at around 85%, about 15% higher than average years. this is why the moderation of adjusting for school was introduced.
We now have a much higher pass rate than usual, this is going to have an impact on university places, especially those who had conditional replies. It may well be that there's going to be a shortage of places for some courses due to this.

The difficulty is that just going by prelims and then teachers estimates has given abnormally high pass rates at National, Highers and advanced Higher grades.
All up at around 85%, about 15% higher than average years. this is why the moderation of adjusting for school was introduced.
We now have a much higher pass rate than usual, this is going to have an impact on university places, especially those who had conditional replies. It may well be that there's going to be a shortage of places for some courses due to this.
Interesting. As you are maybe aware, SWMBO spent 4 decades in education and remarked the other night she is relieved our son (at 30) is into his lifetime career at Polis HQ locally. Dodged a few bullets time scale wise. We'd be worried for him if still at Senior Sec level today.

Dredd

LE
But this was where it was inevitably going anyway, with the "we see greater attainment year on year" measure of so-called success. It's like house prices - it cannot really be going up all the time. Eventually there is a glut of those with the expected requirements and are now finding out that life is actually a competition. It's been amusing to watch supposedly educated individuals assuming that if they get the grades they want they automatically qualify for the next level. Afraid not, chums.

Added to the fact that the places are already rationed due to those truly funding it being accommodated first of course.

If it affects all the ice-cream courses / degrees then no one is going to notice - or care. If the real courses / degrees are packed then good. Those who missed out have other opportunities available, they just need to go find them.

Joining the armed forces would be a start.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Ruth Davidson, now leading for the Tories in Holyrood, has Wee Nippy losing her cool and showing flashes of anger.

giatttt

Old-Salt

Extreme measures!
No doubt thought up by a sub committee none of whose members have ever found themselves in that situation.

I seem to remember that the odds of digging up historic poo when taking a dump on training areas was quite high. Time to bit the bullet, do it properly, and install dry toilets as seen all over Salisbury plain.

Ruth Davidson, now leafingbgirbtge Tories in Holyrood, has Wee Nippy losing her cool and showing flashes of anger.
Ruthy give it her best shot and got it back in spades. The backstabbing in the Tories and her elevation to the Lords has spiked her guns.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Ruthy give it her best shot and got it back in spades. The backstabbing in the Tories and her elevation to the Lords has spiked her guns.
I don't think it did spike her guns as she came back at Nippy. Now Labour are giving her a go, throwing her own words back at her. It appears that demands made by SNP in opposition are not the same as similar demands made by other parties now that SNP are in power.

She repeatedly says she takes responsibility for the exams fiasco but then slides that responsibility off her shoulders.

I don't think it did spike her guns as she came back at Nippy. Now Labour are giving her a go, throwing her own words back at her. It appears that demands made by SNP in opposition are not the same as similar demands made by other parties now that SNP are in power.

She repeatedly says she takes responsibility for the exams fiasco but then slides that responsibility off her shoulders.
Her come back was pretty desperate. She can’t get around the fact that she has accepted an appointment as an unelected member of the Lords, which neutralises her point about accountability.

I don’t know what Leonard said, his voice puts me to sleep.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Her come back was pretty desperate. She can’t get around the fact that she has accepted an appointment as an unelected member of the Lords, which neutralises her point about accountability.

Which has nothing to do with the question asked. Wee Nippy (pbuh) is so glad that Ruthie has decided to leave the wee parliament and go with the grown ups as she will not have to be humiliated by the success that Ruth brings to the Tories.

You can bet your bottom dollar that one of the mainstays of the SNP campaign next year will be on Ruth going to the HofL, a place that is SNP free.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Leonard asked her, several times, why if she takes responsibility for the SQA f*ck up (he may not have used that exact phrase) why she did not sack the education minister. Reply, bluster, bluster, bluster - camera goes to Swinney who is looking decidedly uncomfortable!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Leonard asked her, several times, why if she takes responsibility for the SQA f*ck up (he may not have used that exact phrase) why she did not sack the education minister. Reply, bluster, bluster, bluster - camera goes to Swinney who is looking decidedly uncomfortable!
The difficulty here is what really is the exam cock up?
A method was developed to give results, prelim results combined with teacher prediction and previous school averages. This gave an overall result that was fairly much in line with previous yeas results.
The subsequent uproar of not fair has caused a retraction of the school average part of the calculations.

This has now given a result table approximately 15% higher than all previous years. Putting pressure on colleges and universities and colleges to honour conditional places.

The fact that the results are now so high would suggest that perhaps the SQA did get it closer to what it should have been.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The difficulty here is what really is the exam cock up?
A method was developed to give results, prelim results combined with teacher prediction and previous school averages. This gave an overall result that was fairly much in line with previous yeas results.
The subsequent uproar of not fair has caused a retraction of the school average part of the calculations.

This has now given a result table approximately 15% higher than all previous years. Putting pressure on colleges and universities and colleges to honour conditional places.

The fact that the results are now so high would suggest that perhaps the SQA did get it closer to what it should have been.
I agree with you. I feel the cock-upnis purely down to Sturgeon collapsing at the first hint of protest. IMO this action by the government has devalued the results even further.

Sturgeon is looking to next year's elections and the last thing she wants to do is piss off the school kids who, she hopes, will be ticking the SNP box.

Very weak performance from her and certainly NOT leadership in any form.

Mick9abf

War Hero
The Green branch of the SNP see off the vote of no confidence in Swindley, surprise, surprise.
I suspect he will be put to a different post after the next Scottish elections (assuming the SNP win) but prior to the education review report being released, if not he may choose that time fall on his sword (although I doubt he will).

That said St Nic is running out of both semi competent allies and talent to choose from should she need to replace him.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
I agree with you. I feel the cock-upnis purely down to Sturgeon collapsing at the first hint of protest. IMO this action by the government has devalued the results even further.

Sturgeon is looking to next year's elections and the last thing she wants to do is piss off the school kids who, she hopes, will be ticking the SNP box.

Very weak performance from her and certainly NOT leadership in any form.
It look like England will (largely) be going with downgraded results when they are published.

Which will have the side effect of making Wee Nippy's decision to rescind the Scottish downgrades look politically motivated.

Wordsmith

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Wee Nippy achieving lift off in 3, 2, 1....

Boris Johnson will stamp major schemes in Scotland that are paid for directly by the UK Government with a Union flag from next year, The Telegraph can reveal. The flag will replace the European Union symbol, which has been used to denote when a bridge or road has been directly funded by Brussels.

But it was greeted with dismay by senior SNP politicians, with one accusing Mr Johnson's Government of "posturing of the worst order" and "trying to force the union flag down people's throats".
The SNP reaction was predictable - they've been claiming the entire credit for spending, even when the cash has come from Westminster. Now they won't be able to do so. With the added bonus that every time they protest about a union flag going on a project, they remind the Scottish people where the money came from.

This seems to be part of a coordinated strategy to chip away at SNP support:
  • Westminster is no longer responding to Wee Nippy's attempt to pick fights with them - they're pointing out she's part of a co-ordinated UK response. As Wee Nippy's strategy is to portray Westminster as a bully, that's been partially neutralised.
  • Covid 19 money for Scotland was directly allocated by Westminster - stopping the SNP directing the spending and claiming credit for it.
  • UK funded projects are now to be flagged as such, stopping the SNP claiming credit for them.
Reducing SNP support is going to take several years - BoJo's government at last seems to be going about it in a logical way.

Wordsmith

Wee Nippy achieving lift off in 3, 2, 1....

The SNP reaction was predictable - they've been claiming the entire credit for spending, even when the cash has come from Westminster. Now they won't be able to do so. With the added bonus that every time they protest about a union flag going on a project, they remind the Scottish people where the money came from.

This seems to be part of a coordinated strategy to chip away at SNP support:
  • Westminster is no longer responding to Wee Nippy's attempt to pick fights with them - they're pointing out she's part of a co-ordinated UK response. As Wee Nippy's strategy is to portray Westminster as a bully, that's been partially neutralised.
  • Covid 19 money for Scotland was directly allocated by Westminster - stopping the SNP directing the spending and claiming credit for it.
  • UK funded projects are now to be flagged as such, stopping the SNP claiming credit for them.
Reducing SNP support is going to take several years - BoJo's government at last seems to be going about it in a logical way.

Wordsmith
I see no problem with this at all, the SNP had np problem with the EU doing the exact same thing, again with UK money.

Latest Threads