Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scottish Politics Thread

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
TBH, to create any lasting impression on anyone other than his die-hard supporters he should have gone for the throat immediately his court case ended in his favour. For all those outside his immediate circle I strongly suspect he will be seen at best as irrelevant and at worst a very bitter man.
Not sure I am with you on that. Scotland loves scandal! Also his case was decided almost as we entered into lockdown so that would have held up things. He would also have to find a new lawyer!!! :) Said lawyer would have to weigh the material produced by Salmond against that put forward at the trial and make the case of collusion etc from that. This all takes time. To go at it head on would have seen errors and weaken Salmond's case. It also gives more time to drip feed scandal into the media, see the bits about Nicola not informing/misleading Parliament.

No to have gone bull headed from day one would have been a mistake and Wee Eck is nothing if not an astute political animal.

1. Pressure mounting in opposition to SNP's ill thought hate crime bill.
2. Salmond scandal documentary - Kirsty Wark on BBC2 on Monday

1597139971884.png

Rowan Atkinson joins backlash against Scottish Government's Hate Crime Bill

1597140189503.png

His case came to court earlier this year and he was acquitted of all charges following a two week trial.

Salmond is no longer in the SNP, but his allies believe he was set up and divisions continue to dog the party.

His once-strong friendship with Nicola Sturgeon, who succeeded him as First Minister, is said to be over and the pair are not believed to be on speaking terms.

The hour long documentary - The Trial of Alex Salmond - is listed for Monday at 9pm on BBC2.

Alex Salmond trial documentary to be broadcast next week

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
received_306946533754950.jpeg

received_214175146697833.jpeg

The joys of being on leave.

Not sure I am with you on that. Scotland loves scandal! Also his case was decided almost as we entered into lockdown so that would have held up things. He would also have to find a new lawyer!!! :) Said lawyer would have to weigh the material produced by Salmond against that put forward at the trial and make the case of collusion etc from that. This all takes time. To go at it head on would have seen errors and weaken Salmond's case. It also gives more time to drip feed scandal into the media, see the bits about Nicola not informing/misleading Parliament.

No to have gone bull headed from day one would have been a mistake and Wee Eck is nothing if not an astute political animal.
I can live with that, but I would say to those that uphold Salmond to be an astute political player that if indeed he is so, with the fullsome backing he received from his party :rolleyes: surely he should have been preparing his attack(s) whilst his lawyer was doing their job preparing for his court case.

You can also organise & arrange nowadays by mobile, landline, internet so the lockdown shouldn't have interupted anything other than those things that can only be discussed on a face to face basis. His attacks could very easily have been co-ordinated on his behalf too, as I'm sure the behind the scenes attempts to get the party faithful on board have been. Plus if he's the main figurehead for the toted alternative Independence Party you can virtually guarantee that's the way he'd have gone about it.

NSP

LE
I do think that it is purely aimed at the SNP goal of allowing 16 year olds to vote in any potential independence referendum.
Didn't they do that last time? - and still lost!

I note that the people who bleat on about giving the vote to 16yr-olds are usually the same people who argue that Shemima Begum and similar should be allowed to come home and face no charges because, at the age they went to Syria - 15/16yr-olds, they were "too young to know what they were doing."

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I can live with that, but I would say to those that uphold Salmond to be an astute political player that if indeed he is so, with the fullsome backing he received from his party :rolleyes: surely he should have been preparing his attack(s) whilst his lawyer was doing their job preparing for his court case.

You can also organise & arrange nowadays by mobile, landline, internet so the lockdown shouldn't have interupted anything other than those things that can only be discussed on a face to face basis. His attacks could very easily have been co-ordinated on his behalf too, as I'm sure the behind the scenes attempts to get the party faithful on board have been. Plus if he's the main figurehead for the toted alternative Independence Party you can virtually guarantee that's the way he'd have gone about it.
I don't think Salmond was that sure he would get off with the charges! :). Remember, one charge was 'Not Proven'!

I note that the people who bleat on about giving the vote to 16yr-olds.

I'd sooner give a 16 year old the vote, providing they work, as opposed to the hordes of terminally unemployed adults. Then political parties wouldn't have to consolidate the scrounger voter base when running for election :smile:

Aside from the fact that 16 year olds being allowed to vote is very questionable IMO, should the text in those circumstances surely be worded that members who will be 16 years of age by (insert date of election)?

I do think that it is purely aimed at the SNP goal of allowing 16 year olds to vote in any potential independence referendum.

But election dates aren't always fixed when the registration forms are sent out. I too have doubts about 16 year olds voting, and have no doubt that the SNP, when changing the rules, calculated it would benefit them.
But, that's the law, therefore Scottish EROs registering 14 & 15 year olds is no different to English EROs capturing 16 & 17 year olds.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
John Swinney just cancelled all exam results that were downgraded and directed that the assessment given by the Class teacher must be allowed.

Huge U-turn and apology from the Dep First Minister - in days of yore that would have resulted in a resignation, his.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Didn't they do that last time? - and still lost!

I note that the people who bleat on about giving the vote to 16yr-olds are usually the same people who argue that Shemima Begum and similar should be allowed to come home and face no charges because, at the age they went to Syria - 15/16yr-olds, they were "too young to know what they were doing."

Voting at 16 is supported by every major political party and most small ones with the exception of Conservatives

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Just confirming the pie is entering your pie hole.....
Good to see you’re not adopting the healthy lifestyle that most dentists prescribe
I can throughly recommend such dietary items as they are non cariogenic (cause tooth decay)

However Cardiologists and dieticians may disagree on other health aspects of it!

this is the only time i will support sturgeon - for once in her life she is saying the right thing

PS I still believe that she is still over reacting to CV and holding the country back unnecessarily - the death count from CV is now far less than it was at the start either due to it becoming naturally less virulent or better treatments so the risk assessment must change with the new reality and not stay wjere it was when we didnt know what we are dealing with in march/april

John Swinney just cancelled all exam results that were downgraded and directed that the assessment given by the Class teacher must be allowed.

Huge U-turn and apology from the Dep First Minister - in days of yore that would have resulted in a resignation, his.

The SNP talent pool (particularly of those who are team Sturgeon rathe than team Salmond) isn't deep enough to cope with many cabinet resignations.

16 year olds voting
some say that they are old enough to decide the future of the country

then when they **** off and join ISIS they are too young to understand what they are doing

so it must be make your mind up time

this is the only time i will support sturgeon - for once in her life she is saying the right thing

PS I still believe that she is still over reacting to CV and holding the country back unnecessarily - the death count from CV is now far less than it was at the start either due to it becoming naturally less virulent or better treatments so the risk assessment must change with the new reality and not stay wjere it was when we didnt know what we are dealing with in march/april
The Scots are naturally more cautious than their English counterparts so, if given the authority and/or the opportunity to do so, will always err on the side of caution.

In the case of the Premiership footballers I find it strange, but understandable, that she lost the rag, I'd have thought she should have blasted the Scottish Premier League chiefs and Scottish FA for not cracking down on the miscreants rather than her going for them herself.

16 year olds voting
some say that they are old enough to decide the future of the country

then when they **** off and join ISIS they are too young to understand what they are doing

so it must be make your mind up time
But some believe you can go off to fight in a War for ISIS but can't do the same for the British Army!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The SNP talent pool (particularly of those who are team Sturgeon rathe than team Salmond) isn't deep enough to cope with many cabinet resignations.
'talent' ?

Mick9abf

War Hero

Which is alright if your teacher likes you, a problem I never had.....

Still with elections just round the corner best change it so as not annoy any of the 16 year old voters or their parents .

Time for the Deputy First Minister to throw himself on the sword, or maybe he’s waiting for the overdue Scottish Education Review report that they have managed to bury until a month after the Scottish elections citing Covid...... Cynical, me......

Latest Threads