Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scottish Politics Thread

Clear as mud to me tbh.

Registering to vote
You can register to vote in Scotland if you are:
  • Resident (usually live) in Scotland, and
  • Aged 14 or over (but you will not be able to vote in Scottish
Parliamentary or local council elections until you are 16. You will not be able to vote in UK Parliamentary or European Parliamentary elections until you are 18).”
Rights
The Scottish Government has assessed the data protection impact of the addition of 14 year olds to the electoral register. The processing of personal data is considered necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest and in the exercise of official authority in terms of Article 6(1)(e) of the General Data Protection Regulation[7]. Processing of some 14 and 15 year olds’ data occurs under the existing scheme. Such data is only provided to Returning Officers and others involved in the electoral process for the purposes of elections. Information in relation to 14 and 15 year olds is not included within the versions of the electoral register provided to non-EROs. The information is not used by EROs for marketing or automated decision making. Section 13 of the Scottish Elections (Reduction of Voting Age) Act 2015[8] places restrictions on EROs from publishing data in relation to young persons.
The version of the electoral register which is used by polling staff on election day does not contain the details of any attainers yet to meet the age requirement. Attainers do not receive polling cards for any election held prior to the day on which they become eligible to vote.
Monitoring and review
Bill - Clause

Aims of measure
Section 7 of the Bill allows persons aged 14 years of age or over to be registered in the register of local government electors in Scotland.
Likely to impact on . . .
14 year olds resident in Scotland who will be eligible to vote on reaching the age of 16
Compliance with UNCRC requirements
Article 12
Contribution to local duties to safeguard, support and promote child wellbeing
Respect for the views of the child

Allowing 14 year olds to register to vote ahead of attaining voting age promotes civic engagement and participation in the democratic process.
CRWIA Declaration
Authorisation
Policy lead

Iain Hockenhull, Elections Team
Date
2 September 2019
Deputy Director or equivalent

Penny Curtis, Elections and FOI Division
Date
3 September 2019

Footnotes

Contact
Email: iain.hockenhull@gov.scot

Thoughts?

Given it contains the ridiculous phrase "having a Sovietised economy" when discussing Scotland my thought, (as a supporter of the Union who thinks independence would be economically damaging) is that the article is contemptible.

Guido now seems to exist purely to inflame the easily excitable with hyperbolic exclamations which have little credibility. A site best ignored, at worst one that does nothing but feed the dangerous polarisation in our society. A man knowingly or otherwise doing Putin's work.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Given it contains the ridiculous phrase "having a Sovietised economy" when discussing Scotland my thought, (as a supporter of the Union who thinks independence would be economically damaging) is that the article is contemptible.

Guido now seems to exist purely to inflame the easily excitable with hyperbolic exclamations which have little credibility. A site best ignored, at worst one that does nothing but feed the dangerous polarisation in our society. A man knowingly or otherwise doing Putin's work.
Sounds like he got under your skin! :)

Last edited:

As a unionist you should be more concerned with the polls within the article, Queen Nipola and her crew have seriously pissed of a lot of verdamt Englanders to the extent they question the union....

You might want to ask the EU how it went when they pissed off the English.....

Or the Germans or French come to think of it....(add many others)

The English are slow to anger, but step away when you've succeeded....

JB

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
As a unionist you should be more concerned with the polls within the article, Queen Nipola and her crew have seriously pissed of a lot of verdamt Englanders to the extent they question the union....

JB
3994D7C900000578-3858780-image-m-33_1477063236971.jpg

JB

My experience day to day is that most English barely consider the issue. Curious that the polls Guido reports only have 'Yes' or 'No' responses. Is it really credible that no-one, when asked, replied 'Don't Know' or even 'Couldn't Give a Shit'? Or, perhaps, have all the moderate, or nuanced responses been stripped out to provide the most provocative report possible?

Edit: Follow the link in Guido's article to the actual polling and its it's perfectly obvious this is exactly what he's done. Turns out that less than half of leave voters asked would support English Independence, not the impression Guido gives with the initial 'shock' headline. Across all English voters support for English independence is a hugely minority view.

@Auld-Yin This stuff does get under my skin. I think the increasing polarisation of our politics has risks. This bullshit perpetuates and encourages it.

Last edited:
My experience day to day is that most English barely consider the issue. Curious that the polls Guido reports only have 'Yes' or 'No' responses. Is it really credible that no-one, when asked, replied 'Don't Know' or even 'Couldn't Give a Shit'? Or, perhaps, have all the moderate, or nuanced responses been stripped out to provide the most provocative report possible?

Obviously, all posters of polls tend to massage the figures, slant the questions, that's par for the course. The concern is that the sentiment is there....

Mrs JB is seriously questioning whether we should remain in South Scotlandshire or cut and run whilst the going is good...

JB

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Obviously, all posters of polls tend to massage the figures, slant the questions, that's par for the course. The concern is that the sentiment is there....

Mrs JB is seriously questioning whether we should remain in South Scotlandshire or cut and run whilst the going is good...

JB
South Scotland is nice, no need to move further north! ;)

JB

Aye the sentiment's there. However unlike the article's headline it's very much a minority sentiment.

Dredd

LE

JB

And well done for falling for it.

That has been their part of their strategy to achieve their aim.

The sad thing is that while they focused on the objective, they failed to realise that as the nearest neighbour, their largest market and their closest match in terms of mind-set, setting the South against Scotland was going to be Pyrrhic victory.

Noses, faces and spite all come to mind.

wheel

LE
Clear as mud to me tbh.

Registering to vote
You can register to vote in Scotland if you are:
  • Resident (usually live) in Scotland, and
  • Aged 14 or over (but you will not be able to vote in Scottish
Parliamentary or local council elections until you are 16. You will not be able to vote in UK Parliamentary or European Parliamentary elections until you are 18).”
Rights
The Scottish Government has assessed the data protection impact of the addition of 14 year olds to the electoral register. The processing of personal data is considered necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest and in the exercise of official authority in terms of Article 6(1)(e) of the General Data Protection Regulation[7]. Processing of some 14 and 15 year olds’ data occurs under the existing scheme. Such data is only provided to Returning Officers and others involved in the electoral process for the purposes of elections. Information in relation to 14 and 15 year olds is not included within the versions of the electoral register provided to non-EROs. The information is not used by EROs for marketing or automated decision making. Section 13 of the Scottish Elections (Reduction of Voting Age) Act 2015[8] places restrictions on EROs from publishing data in relation to young persons.
The version of the electoral register which is used by polling staff on election day does not contain the details of any attainers yet to meet the age requirement. Attainers do not receive polling cards for any election held prior to the day on which they become eligible to vote.
Monitoring and review
Bill - Clause

Aims of measure
Section 7 of the Bill allows persons aged 14 years of age or over to be registered in the register of local government electors in Scotland.
Likely to impact on . . .
14 year olds resident in Scotland who will be eligible to vote on reaching the age of 16
Compliance with UNCRC requirements
Article 12
Contribution to local duties to safeguard, support and promote child wellbeing
Respect for the views of the child

Allowing 14 year olds to register to vote ahead of attaining voting age promotes civic engagement and participation in the democratic process.
CRWIA Declaration
Authorisation
Policy lead

Iain Hockenhull, Elections Team
Date
2 September 2019
Deputy Director or equivalent

Penny Curtis, Elections and FOI Division
Date
3 September 2019

Footnotes

Contact
Email: iain.hockenhull@gov.scot
I would have though it best described as Pish

And well done for falling for it.

That has been their part of their strategy to achieve their aim.

The sad thing is that while they focused on the objective, they failed to realise that as the nearest neighbour, their largest market and their closest match in terms of mind-set, setting the South against Scotland was going to be Pyrrhic victory.

Noses, faces and spite all come to mind.

Not me Guv, I remain here like a bad English smell....

But I'm afraid my compatriots from South of the Border may have....

You are correct in your analysis...

JB

Have I missed something, when did anyone over the age of 14 in Scotland get the right to vote?

This dropped through my door today and it has the SNP and their thirst for independence written all over it!!!

They can’t sort the education system but can sort this. I have to say I find this a worrying development in their tactics. View attachment 496014View attachment 496014

Is this not simply standard (and nescessary) practice? Capturing everyone who will reach voting age, which is 16 for Scottish elections, within that registration cycle.

Mick9abf

War Hero
Is this not simply standard (and nescessary) practice? Capturing everyone who will reach voting age, which is 16 for Scottish elections, within that registration cycle.

Aside from the fact that 16 year olds being allowed to vote is very questionable IMO, should the text in those circumstances surely be worded that members who will be 16 years of age by (insert date of election)?

I do think that it is purely aimed at the SNP goal of allowing 16 year olds to vote in any potential independence referendum.

An interesting Read Lots of what if's will he wont he? refusal to provide evidence promptly followed by leaking of evidence at a guess. I have no doubt a lot of sweet talking and appeals for loyalty will be going on behind the scenes if the Salmond camp go for the Jugular it will get very messy very quickly.
At the very least it will be entertaining Popcorn anyone ?

An interesting Read Lots of what if's will he wont he? refusal to provide evidence promptly followed by leaking of evidence at a guess. I have no doubt a lot of sweet talking and appeals for loyalty will be going on behind the scenes if the Salmond camp go for the Jugular it will get very messy very quickly.
At the very least it will be entertaining Popcorn anyone ?
TBH, to create any lasting impression on anyone other than his die-hard supporters he should have gone for the throat immediately his court case ended in his favour. For all those outside his immediate circle I strongly suspect he will be seen at best as irrelevant and at worst a very bitter man.

Latest Threads