Scottish Politics Thread

Health has an unfortunate habit of trying to conceal mishaps. Individuals and organisations denying responsibility which make such investigations far more complex.

And this is at every level.

The old lessons learned is complete BS. We just don't share information if something goes wrong.

An example, a colleague had a patient who had an allergic reaction in the surgery. That can happen, it's a known risk and due to no fault of the dental team. What happened next however we never have found out except that it was "The most horrible and stressful time" they had ever had as they dealt with the medical emergency. Patient survived but no one has been told what went wrong so that we can avoid the same thing. No changes made to our protocols.

In another instance a different colleague was trying a new sedation technique on a patient, not overly successful so reverted to a more traditional approach however due to not factoring in the drugs given in the first attempt, ended up overdosing the patient and reversal agents being used. If it was not for a chatty nurse, no one would know and could make the same error.

I have reported my own errors up the chain and seen them go nowhere when they could be useful learning points.
I have just watched Chernobyl. You have just described the mini-medical equivalent. Oh and not a dig at Oor NHS. It will happen all over.

Someone is not a happy bunny

The same woman that said in 2014 that if we voted no to separation then the NHS in Scotland would be privatised within 5 years. How is that going :-D

View attachment 494229
There's a lot of little niggles like this popping up for the SNP at the moment. With the Salmond enquiry rumbling over the horizon and a fresh Tory leader the SNP's forthcoming Holyrood campaign might not be the free run most are predicting.

Health has an unfortunate habit of trying to conceal mishaps. Individuals and organisations denying responsibility which make such investigations far more complex.

And this is at every level.

The old lessons learned is complete BS. We just don't share information if something goes wrong.

An example, a colleague had a patient who had an allergic reaction in the surgery. That can happen, it's a known risk and due to no fault of the dental team. What happened next however we never have found out except that it was "The most horrible and stressful time" they had ever had as they dealt with the medical emergency. Patient survived but no one has been told what went wrong so that we can avoid the same thing. No changes made to our protocols.

In another instance a different colleague was trying a new sedation technique on a patient, not overly successful so reverted to a more traditional approach however due to not factoring in the drugs given in the first attempt, ended up overdosing the patient and reversal agents being used. If it was not for a chatty nurse, no one would know and could make the same error.

I have reported my own errors up the chain and seen them go nowhere when they could be useful learning points.
Thankfully aviation seems to have made significant progress in this regard. There's confidence that individuals won't be hung out to dry for honest mistakes which has led to a much more open reporting culture.

I suspect the greater political aspect to health provision, and the ever present desire in the press for blood are issues holding back similar progress in your profession?

Thankfully aviation seems to have made significant progress in this regard. There's confidence that individuals won't be hung out to dry for honest mistakes which has led to a much more open reporting culture.

I suspect the greater political aspect to health provision, and the ever present desire in the press for blood are issues holding back similar progress in your profession?
Although, to be fair, giving people drugs in a way that hasn't been fully tested without having a well thought-out fallback plan that avoids overdosing the patient deserves some sort of sanction.

Although, to be fair, giving people drugs in a way that hasn't been fully tested without having a well thought-out fallback plan that avoids overdosing the patient deserves some sort of sanction.
Unless rules were deliberately breached for personal gain then an individual sanction is likely to have negative effects more widely.
Expectation of sanctions supresses reporting and thus prevents correction of faulty procedures, training omissions and more generally peer group learning.

Note that this shouldn't prevent persistently poor clinicians (or aircrew) from being removed, that can still be achieved in a well managed system.

Unless rules were deliberately breached for personal gain then an individual sanction is likely to have negative effects more widely.
Expectation of sanctions supresses reporting and thus prevents correction of faulty procedures, training omissions and more generally peer group learning.

Note that this shouldn't prevent persistently poor clinicians (or aircrew) from being removed, that can still be achieved in a well managed system.
I was thinking more of mandatory additional training and a period of direct supervision rather than fines or flagellation.

England has ten times the population size, an ethnic minority equal to the entire population of scotland and four times the density of population per square kilometre, with 41k deaths. Scotland has a loss of 2,491 souls and in principle, that shows scotland has half the rate of death, but can be explained by density of population acting as a throttle when an individual becomes infected and seems to double the death rate.

The unbiased and apolitical london media are so convinced that the devolved governments are doing so much better and the statistics aren't quite as clear. The love in on the BBC for sturgeon is nauseating. Quite clearly since the referendum, I believe that many remainers have adopted the view that breaking up our union is now the aim and wrecking something out of spite only shows how poorly we are led by our betters.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

The oft quoted phrase is that if aviation was the same as health there'd be planes dropping out of the sky

Good article here

Aye, but unlike most he came straight out and admitted they f*cked up as I've highlighted in bold in your quote, instead of the usual non-admitting and obfuscation seen elsewhere (actually notable with the MoD).
And add in the emerging stories that the Chinese tried to cover up the outbreak, their Doctors were silenced and the market where this all started was thoroughly disinfected prior to any outside investigators being allowed near the place.

Rod924

LE
Kit Reviewer
England has ten times the population size, an ethnic minority equal to the entire population of scotland and four times the density of population per square kilometre, with 41k deaths. Scotland has a loss of 2,491 souls and in principle, that shows scotland has half the rate of death, but can be explained by density of population acting as a throttle when an individual becomes infected and seems to double the death rate.

The unbiased and apolitical london media are so convinced that the devolved governments are doing so much better and the statistics aren't quite as clear. The love in on the BBC for sturgeon is nauseating. Quite clearly since the referendum, I believe that many remainers have adopted the view that breaking up our union is now the aim and wrecking something out of spite only shows how poorly we are led by our betters.
Agree with 99%, but I'd use the Scottish Records Office of Covid deaths mentioned on Death Certs (as per PHE/ONS) which is >4100

Agree with 99%, but I'd use the Scottish Records Office of Covid deaths mentioned on Death Certs (as per PHE/ONS) which is >4100
Using 4k, would show that Scotland has done rather worse than england, because in theory, population density should manifest itself in at least a weighting figure in favour of scotland.. Naturally you won't hear any of that on the box, because covid is not about medicine and all about politics and feeling something is more important than the raw facts.

Around 25% of all estimate grades have been changed by SQA.

Of these 93.1% were adjusted DOWN.

Basically a school's past results (without a pandemic) are determining the results this year. While this might look fair it categorically is not.

What they are really saying is that this years results need to be the same profile as last years, regardless if individual candidates do better. They are not willing to trust the teacher estimates if it means there is an improvement from the last few years. This is massively unfair to students

Basically a weak pupil at a private school is protected by past results while an excellent pupil at a poor state school is hindered by them.

1596543126771.png

Latest Threads