Scottish Politics Thread

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Initially I've read that Davidson may take over at FMQs until the election - no bad thing in my opinion her having presented Sturgeon with a greater challenge than any other to date.

The FM question is an interesting (and likely moot) point. Much like the SNP it's difficult to identify much talent in depth.
I thought Wee Ruth was off up to the House of Lords very shortly.

I thought Wee Ruth was off up to the House of Lords very shortly.

"Ms Davidson has said she will not seek re-election as an MSP next year, but has agreed to represent her party in the chamber during First Minister's Questions until then if Mr Ross becomes leader."

Not for few months it would appear.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Mick9abf

War Hero
View attachment 493950
What nice people they have in the SNP
I would choose different words if this was in another section but I find Geva Blackett quite an acquired taste and certainly not mine.

She has a history locally of jumping on anything where her voice can be heard and most of the time not many want to hear it. There was a Facebook post on a local group page unaffiliated to the SNP saying she should be supported which surprised a few and it never got much uptake.

To quote a friend who seldom has a bad word to say about anyone but has had dealings with her surprised me when he saw it and said “Support her??? That poisonous **** will get **** all support from any of us”.

She plays, or played with a foot in both camps for a long time when her husband was the Factor at a large sporting estate and my memory is hazy, and if someone can correct me perfect, but I seem to recall she was affiliated to another political party historically (no trace of you google now with my limited IT skills), but either way will sway towards one group or another where she smells brass.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
As grand a hospital it is, it has had its teething troubles. For patients to die due whatever official reasons lessons learnt should not suffice as a get out clause.
Health has an unfortunate habit of trying to conceal mishaps. Individuals and organisations denying responsibility which make such investigations far more complex.

And this is at every level.

The old lessons learned is complete BS. We just don't share information if something goes wrong.

An example, a colleague had a patient who had an allergic reaction in the surgery. That can happen, it's a known risk and due to no fault of the dental team. What happened next however we never have found out except that it was "The most horrible and stressful time" they had ever had as they dealt with the medical emergency. Patient survived but no one has been told what went wrong so that we can avoid the same thing. No changes made to our protocols.

In another instance a different colleague was trying a new sedation technique on a patient, not overly successful so reverted to a more traditional approach however due to not factoring in the drugs given in the first attempt, ended up overdosing the patient and reversal agents being used. If it was not for a chatty nurse, no one would know and could make the same error.

I have reported my own errors up the chain and seen them go nowhere when they could be useful learning points.

Bob Hope and Nae Hope

'' Lessons will be learned ''

The standard get out clause.
Just following the standard cross-party political script.

'Boris Johnson has admitted the government did not understand coronavirus during the "first few weeks and months" of the UK outbreak.

'The PM told BBC political editor Laura Kuenssberg there were "very open questions" about whether the lockdown had started too late.

'Mr Johnson also spoke of "lessons to be learned" and said ministers could have done some things "differently".

Today Boris Grrr held a Press briefing, the day that Nicola decided to reduce the number of briefings and did not hold one :)

Also Boris Grrr said he hoped/guessed that the country would return to normal in November, just in time for Christmas. Now, this puts St Nicola (pbuh) in a quandary. Does she do her normal and just follow Boris Grrr a couple of weeks later saying Scotland will be 'normal' again in December; or say Scotland is better than England so will return to normal in October? Should be fun!!!!!! :)
She'll probably blame winter as being the fault of the Tories, and if only there was a Scottish government there would sunshine all round and the midges would all move to England

TBF

Did anyone really understand it ?

Do we, even now, fully understand it ?
So everyone's in a Lessons Identified (to hopefully) Lessons Learned process or are, in your words, using 'The standard get out clause'.

So everyone's in a Lessons Identified (to hopefully) Lessons Learned process or are, in your words, using 'The standard get out clause'.
Are you being deliberately obtuse ?

The comment where I said '' Lessons will be learned '' was in response to the NHS. An institution that has been around for a number of Decades and has had multiple failings over the years where '' Lessons will be learned ''

By trying to compare Covid, which has been around for less than a year, you are trying to compare apples and oranges

I'll ask you again

Did anyone really understand it ?

Do we, even now, fully understand it ?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Are you being deliberately obtuse ?

The comment where I said '' Lessons will be learned '' was in response to the NHS. An institution that has been around for a number of Decades and has had multiple failings over the years where '' Lessons will be learned ''

By trying to compare Covid, which has been around for less than a year, you are trying to compare apples and oranges

I'll ask you again
In health we understood that a pandemic was going to hit, we had plans in place.
We understand how pandemics spread and had seen SARS and MERS be stopped by such plans being implemented.

But we were taken by surprise at the speed of the spread and the widespread outcropping of it.

What was not so well recognised was the impact of tourism on the spread. For instance who knew so many Scots went skiing in the North of Italy in January and February!
Also not factored in was the impact of social media with the demands for action and it's ability to spread fear and panic almost instantly.

In health we understood that a pandemic was going to hit, we had plans in place.
We understand how pandemics spread and had seen SARS and MERS be stopped by such plans being implemented.

But we were taken by surprise at the speed of the spread and the widespread outcropping of it.

What was not so well recognised was the impact of tourism on the spread. For instance who knew so many Scots went skiing in the North of Italy in January and February!
Also not factored in was the impact of social media with the demands for action and it's ability to spread fear and panic almost instantly.

On the skiing bit, Schools have been going skiing holidays for decades in January/February, maybe not in your part of the world but just about everywhere else. For example the high school I went to started going skiing in 1975, it was a brand new school it only had 1st and 2nd year pupils to start with, and has been going ever since then.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
On the skiing bit, Schools have been going skiing holidays for decades in January/February, maybe not in your part of the world but just about everywhere else. For example the high school I went to started going skiing in 1975, it was a brand new school it only had 1st and 2nd year pupils to start with, and has been going ever since then.
There were several school skiing trips from up here. Apparently despite the factors for that include more consistent snow abroad, it can actually be cheaper to take the kids abroad and teachers like a paid for holiday.

Someone is not a happy bunny

The same woman that said in 2014 that if we voted no to separation then the NHS in Scotland would be privatised within 5 years. How is that going :-D

1596445014692.png

Just following the standard cross-party political script.

'Boris Johnson has admitted the government did not understand coronavirus during the "first few weeks and months" of the UK outbreak.

'The PM told BBC political editor Laura Kuenssberg there were "very open questions" about whether the lockdown had started too late.

'Mr Johnson also spoke of "lessons to be learned" and said ministers could have done some things "differently".

Aye, but unlike most he came straight out and admitted they f*cked up as I've highlighted in bold in your quote, instead of the usual non-admitting and obfuscation seen elsewhere (actually notable with the MoD).

Best laid plans only survive the 1st contact.

To go back to your original link

This inquiry is not actually Covid related is it ?

Aye, but unlike most he came straight out and admitted they f*cked up as I've highlighted in bold in your quote, instead of the usual non-admitting and obfuscation seen elsewhere (actually notable with the MoD).
Balls. He admitted mistakes had been made when he realised that was likely to play better politically than stubbornly claiming they'd done everything right, which had been his policy for months.

Latest Threads