Scottish Politics Thread

offog

LE
SWMBO has just been on the phone, she has a friend who has a B&B heading down towards Berwick and they have been looking forward to a busy few months but just had most of their bookings cancelled for the next month.

Well done Nikeliar I am sure there are many more getting the same response.
But the Welsh are doing a roaring trade.

From the BBC

Holiday firms in Wales have reported being "frantically busy" taking bookings for cottages, caravan sites and holiday parks after lockdown restrictions were eased on Saturday.

Holidaymakers in Wales now able to stay in self-contained accommodation - places without shared facilities such as bathrooms - for the first time since March.

Among those businesses to benefit was Three Cliffs Bay Holiday Park in the Gower, which took 300 bookings in one day.

Plassey Holiday Park in Wrexham said their tents, lodges and caravan sites were fully booked within hours, while Elizabeth Daniel said her Brecon Beacons Holiday Cottages has been "frantically busy" since the restrictions were lifted.
I would think the the Lakes and the caravan parks on the East coast will be the same.

mrboo

War Hero
SWMBO has just been on the phone, she has a friend who has a B&B heading down towards Berwick and they have been looking forward to a busy few months but just had most of their bookings cancelled for the next month.

Well done Nikeliar I am sure there are many more getting the same response.
I have an airbnb in inverness but have decided to give up the holiday let and go long term let. There were lots of people predicting an influx of tourist which we are not seeing.

From the BBC

I would think the the Lakes and the caravan parks on the East coast will be the same.
The Welsh aren't threatening to stop English visitors.

Funny how she isn't threatening to quarantine visitors from Ireland where the Taoiseach said this morning that their R number was spiking over 3 and yet English one is around 0.8 compared to our 0.7.

JuniorBod

War Hero
The Welsh aren't threatening to stop English visitors.

Funny how she isn't threatening to quarantine visitors from Ireland where the Taoiseach said this morning that their R number was spiking over 3 and yet English one is around 0.8 compared to our 0.7.
But, but..
English bad
Boris bad
Freeeedommmm...

JB

From the BBC

Most of the Lakes are back to taking tourers from 13 Jul but there are some allowed now,if they have their own ablutions, i.e. don't have to share.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Ah there I have you I am aware of the maritime lines - the Antoine wall line will be the disputed border between north and south jockistan allowing us to get the UN in to police it. And it will be cheaper on barbed wire, high voltage cable, mines and watch towers. Plus somewhere to build the refugee camps without them being able to apply for UK citizenship as they will still be in jockistan.

We can then leave it to the international community to pay for most of it.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
You're all heart! :(

While everyone is focused on the tourism fallout, in a nice wee cottage in the grampians.
Moria is watching this over and over wondering why alec is consulting with his acolytes in the back bedroom…..

giatttt

Old-Salt
Indeed. Given that the Edinburgh Festival, the Fringe and the Princes Street Hogmanay Party have all been cancelled, the Scottish tourism industry was already looking at it's worst year in living memory.
I know of two music venues in Edinburgh that will not survive unless they are open in July and August, they rely on the summer season to cover the rent and rates. As it stands they have no bookings in the diary, so even if St Nicola allows them to open it is realistically too late, the only thing keeping them open is the Furlough for their staff, when that drops from 80% and requires a contribution from them it is game over. :(

Rents in Edinburgh are based on the landlord's knowledge of how much the summer tourists and the Festival bring in, so far they seem unwilling to support their tenants - not matter how good their track record.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I vehemently object to the word "Jockistan", as that is demeaning and abhorrent.

Use "Weefreeistan" instead, if you please.

Thanks.
I object to ‘Wefreeistan’ as it is sectarian and intolerant. I prefer Porridgesthan

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
You're all heart! :(
that I am, south Jockistan will thrive as a high tech low tax haven and the benefit from all those troops buying thermals and extra wetproofing - ,unless France decides it wants to do the policing as it has historical links with the three kingdoms then you will have our sympathy. unemployment will be nil with all the building work and national service requirements.

still it will not all be irn bru and tunnocks tea cakes - the North will no doubt send its fearsome Ginja's to create chaos.

North Jockistan will not starve though with its low tech high tax economy, once we have fully fallen out with the EU there will be lots and lots of cheap squid and sheep available from the FI so we can have that sent up as part of the international aid package. and have them send over by trebuchet so getting around the quarantine restrictions and the lack of actual crossing points.

squid will be okay - nice and healthy although they will just deep fry it anyway.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
I object to ‘Wefreeistan’ as it is sectarian and intolerant. I prefer Porridgesthan
I don't remember Neil Oliver mentioning the Porridge people.

are they like the seal people?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
that I am, south Jockistan will thrive as a high tech low tax haven and the benefit from all those troops buying thermals and extra wetproofing - ,unless France decides it wants to do the policing as it has historical links with the three kingdoms then you will have our sympathy. unemployment will be nil with all the building work and national service requirements.

still it will not all be irn bru and tunnocks tea cakes - the North will no doubt send its fearsome Ginja's to create chaos.

North Jockistan will not starve though with its low tech high tax economy, once we have fully fallen out with the EU there will be lots and lots of cheap squid and sheep available from the FI so we can have that sent up as part of the international aid package. and have them send over by trebuchet so getting around the quarantine restrictions and the lack of actual crossing points.

squid will be okay - nice and healthy although they will just deep fry it anyway.
Dream on Sunshine! Without us the Engerlish would be lost, leaderless, clueless.

Just sit back and feel nice and safe and bask in the comfort that we are here to make sure you don't feck things up - again.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I don't remember Neil Oliver mentioning the Porridge people.

are they like the seal people?
Its an inclusive designation for anyone who eats porridge or identifies as a porridge eater

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
Its an inclusive designation for anyone who eats porridge or identifies as a porridge eater
like the Romans you mean? they ate porridge as a staple.

I seem to remember they also had a strange aversion to wearing trousers.

Last edited:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Squid? Why would we eat Squid when it appears that we have plentiful supplies of langoustines and scallops.

And we have plenty of our own sheep without having to import any.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
Dream on Sunshine! Without us the Engerlish would be lost, leaderless, clueless.

Just sit back and feel nice and safe and bask in the comfort that we are here to make sure you don't feck things up - again.
these great scottish leaders of whom you speak - are you by chance referring to Mssrs Cameron Blair and Broon who did so much to improve the UKs international standing, making it an unrivalled military and economic powerhouse?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
these great scottish leaders of whom you speak - are you by chance referring to Mssrs Cameron Blair and Broon who did so much to improve the UKs international standing, making it an unrivalled military and economic powerhouse?
Mind you there are the other group of leaders like Haig, Ritchie, O'Connor, Stirling, Frost to name but a few.

Still, on the political side you can always count on Chamberlain, Wilson, Callaghan, Eden to help you retain your greatness :rolleyes:

Even 'the greatest Englishman' was half Septic!

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
Squid? Why would we eat Squid when it appears that we have plentiful supplies of langoustines and scallops.

And we have plenty of our own sheep without having to import any.
the EU will have taken those as preconditions for becoming a colony as part of the sturgeon economic miracle. along with all the mackerel, herring and anything else the EU wants - although they will never tell you when their part of the agreement will be. still seaweed is good for you and guga isn't supposed to be that bad.

I've seen those sheep up near Glasgow - I'd never seen ginger sheep until then. there was little ginger sheep and then some right big ones with huge horns.

Latest Threads