Scottish Politics Thread

Perhaps it's the reality where a country with 5 parties in its Parliament and 10 parties participating in its elections is accused of being a one party state.

Only by bitter losers, I admit, but all the same.
You didn't read my post did you? Was it the frothing and spluttering covering bits of your screen? So let me quote myself. I said:

"The real financial reality or the SNP alternative reality?" I never mentioned a One Party State. Why would I think its a One Party State?

Dredd

LE
There isn't going to be any time for a Referendum, the Scottish Government seem to be lining themselves up for full-time court appearances. They are talking about taking Boris to court over food standards legislation, which up to now has been draconianlly applied by the EU. Least hint of Westminster taking this in to their remit has Nicola screaming from the treetops

There have been several other instances over the past couple of weeks where the SNP have said they will be taking the Westminster government to court. It is getting a bit embarrassing and they should be actually running the country and not ensuring Scottish lawyers have a nice pension pot.
Pathetic, isn't it?

"Aldi and Waitrose are among the supermarkets saying they will also refuse to comply with legislation that would drop the standards of food they sell."

The way this is written you would think there was a Central Stock in Kent that was then doled out to all the supermarkets. If they want to buy dearer food and try to sell it in a market that has cheaper food (and the Aldi bit did make me giggle) then go ahead. Nobody is stopping them. They don't have to "drop the standard". This is just posturing and virtue signalling in advance.

As for not complying with legislation, well . . . what a load of pish. The regs state the MINIMUM compliance requirement - you are welcome to go above and beyond whenever you like, but not below. Or face the consequences in court under criminal prosecution. And we will find that in a few years, they may be selling the same scran from the same sources as if they never pretended they wouldn't, hoping that nobody will remember or even notice.

What a poor poor state our journalism standards have come to nowadays. It's almost as if they know the target audience is not bright enough to think for itself.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Pathetic, isn't it?
What a poor poor state our journalism standards have come to nowadays. It's almost as if they know the target audience is not bright enough to think for itself.
Or, more likely, just don't care.

Dredd

LE

Seems the party has bullying unnoticed
Interesting:

Her statement said she had left the party after 30 years and that the SNP had "been taken over by middle class career politicians".
Is that not what got Labour into power - and then got pissed away when the people they originally appealed to finally twigged it?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Seems the party has bullying unnoticed
If you read the article, he's been arrested for wasting police time over a sexual assault and investigated for fraud. So in line with party policy has stepped down from party.

For some reason, she's left in support.

SNP (and others) have a long history of suspended members under legal investigation.

Last edited:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
If you read the article, he's been arrested for wasting police time over a sexual assault and investigated for fraud. So in line with party policy has stepped down from party.

SNP Scottish Legal Aid Party [SLAP](and others) have a long history of suspended members under legal investigation.
FOC!

Dredd

LE
I remember the days when the Glasgow Corporation was run by a Labour cabal where nepotism and corruption was rife.

Seems all they have done is change the colour of the rosette.

You just carry on ignoring it, you will be perfectly safe. :rolleyes: Just stay well away from me.
Stay well away from you - why? You're safe when wearing Fuhrer Nicola's mandated face covering

Is reading and understanding facts and numbers too difficult? 81% of infected >65 not affected went whoosh? Seems obvious that scare mongering is more readily swallowed

Death figures in UK and Global are low. C4 News today lamenting about 550,000 C-19 deaths worldwide
- Did they mention from population of 7,800,000,000 - No
- Did they mention ~650,000 die in UK pa - No

Pathetic, isn't it?

Pathetic - Yes

"not bright enough to think for itself" - Yes, plenty of proof on this thread

I present - Numbers experiment:
Excess Deaths due to C-19 is the only aspect of the pandemic vs not pandemic which matters
- Death of ~0.0006% of UK population is not a pandemic
- Global deaths of 0.0007% of population is not a pandemic
24 hrs later and 'whoosh', posters too dumb to read, understand or spot - prefer Al-Beeb etc emotive scare mongering and negativity. Think? 'Di'na be daft'

Excuses incoming

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Stay well away from you - why? You're safe when wearing Fuhrer Nicola's mandated face covering

Is reading and understanding facts and numbers too difficult? 81% of infected >65 not affected went whoosh? Seems obvious that scare mongering is more readily swallowed

Death figures in UK and Global are low. C4 News today lamenting about 550,000 C-19 deaths worldwide

Pathetic - Yes

"not bright enough to think for itself" - Yes, plenty of proof on this thread

I present - Numbers experiment:

24 hrs later and 'whoosh', posters too dumb to read, understand or spot - prefer Al-Beeb etc emotive scare mongering and negativity. Think? 'Di'na be daft'

Excuses incoming

Pandemic is defined by the spread of a disease not by its mortality rates.

Nobody has said that face coverings are absolutely safe but the gathering evidence is that they do reduce spread.

The difficulty is always that we can not with any certainy say what would have happened if we had not entered lockdown in terms of infection rates and subsequent deaths.

But given that a percentage of infections results in deaths and another amount of long term symptoms then it is safe to say that if the disease had been allowed to rampage through the community infecting many more than it did then the casualty rate would have been much higher.

offog

LE
Stating the world population and using that as an example is ridiculousness and you know it. There are places that it will never touch due to their isolation (you can do a search to see them they are listed). As well as parts of countries that are isolated and will never see a case. So using your world population is a red herring and a very smelly one at that.

Deaths in India are likely to rocket as about 6% of the population has COPD already (lung disease second biggest killer after heart disease) coupled with poor medical facilities for the poor.

If you want some unbiased factual info spend a little time dipping into his podcasts. You could actually learn something.

You seem to be talking as if this all done and dusted.

As you will see from the link above although the cases in the US are going up deaths are remaining steady at the moment as they are just about managing. But once the medical facilities get overwhelmed that may change. It is interesting that in Florida 1/3 of deaths are under 60 when the call so far is, well they were going to die soon it just cut them off by 6 months or so. If they continue to climb it will not be long before they are overwhelmed have have no room for other urgent cases.

It is interesting to see in the US it is taking a week+ to get your result back. I walked past a testing centre run by the RAF at 15.00 Monday and was told 2 days. I got a text 06.07 Tuesday morning to say I was free.

I wonder how many of the 650k of deaths in the UK were from RTA or work or normal hospitalisation but due to the restriction imposed by lock down have dropped.

This has only just started and we have managed it reasonably well. The health service was not overwhelmed (which was the plan) and any new cases will work through the system in good time. We can see now from the US what it would have been like if we did the very minimum. What we don't know is what long term medical conditions survivors will have to suffer with and how many survived because they did not catch it in the first place.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
so are the scots behind the Clap for the dear leader day then?

it's a good run up to the military parades and 6 hour TV specials once independence is granted to the Democratic peoples republic of North jockistan.

I can't wait.

TamH70

MIA

it's a good run up to the military parades and 6 hour TV specials once independence is granted to the Democratic peoples republic of North jockistan.

I can't wait.
I vehemently object to the word "Jockistan", as that is demeaning and abhorrent.

Use "Weefreeistan" instead, if you please.

Thanks.

SNP (and others) have a long history of suspended members under legal investigation.
Oh i read the article alright, my comment was on the bullying point. which seems like sour grapes…….

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

I can't wait.
To be honest, if it wasn't for this thread I wouldn't have heard about it.

I shall treat it with exactly the same apathy as I treated the weekly keyworker and then the NHS anniversary clap

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Oh i read the article alright, my comment was on the bullying point. which seems like sour grapes…….
Perhaps she feels a political party suspending a criminal is bullying?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Latest Threads