Scottish Politics Thread

mrboo

War Hero
The argument for wearing face coverings that I don't understand is more shops open mean you are more likely to come into contact with more people so more chance of spreading it . But surely if you only have essential shops such as supermarkets open you have the same amount of people less shops so a possible higher density of people. So say 1000 people using one shop or 1000 people using twenty shops.

The argument for wearing face coverings that I don't understand is more shops open mean you are more likely to come into contact with more people so more chance of spreading it . But surely if you only have essential shops such as supermarkets open you have the same amount of people less shops so a possible higher density of people. So say 1000 people using one shop or 1000 people using twenty shops.
You have done it now. You are going against the non political statement maker Mrs Murrell

I have to say, I’m thoroughly enjoying this discussion over whether the transition from Scotland to England is a border or not. It’s amusing watching folk tie themselves in knots trying not to contradict themselves.

I hope that Boris and his fanbois have been in contact with the editor of the OED about rewriting the definition of “border”.

Has the CEO of Borders Council announced the rebranding to Not The Borders Council yet?

Rod924

LE
Kit Reviewer
There are 6 towns officially named in D&G given the 5 mile restriction of travel limit, all on the East side. As there have only been 6 new cases in last 11 Days in all of D&G this seems a bit, odd. Especially when Glasgow was >25 cases, Lanarkshire >20 for same 11 days.

If you're visiting twenty shops, you'll be in the shops a lot longer than if you are only visiting one. Therefore you'll be in close proximity to people you don't know for a much longer time.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The face mask in shops coincides with the projected entering of phase 3.
As such the numbers out and about will be far more.
It will not be same number of folk in more shops but a lot more folk out and about.

More folk out and about, there is a greater risk of spread

Interesting, the little one has booked a ferry crossing to NI next month. Has all traffic to Stranraer been stopped.
Ferry bookings for the tenth and thirteenth are practically empty, which is a bonus for the PSNI.
they don’t have to worry about wee Shuggy from Kinfauns Avenue, expressing his democratic richt to go walkabout for a day or two.
Alas ScotGov haven’t banned Eammon from the Bally Murphy Knights of Iona* travelling over to the twenty seventh county aka Coatbridge

* changed to appease those may resemble the above

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I have to say, I’m thoroughly enjoying this discussion over whether the transition from Scotland to England is a border or not. It’s amusing watching folk tie themselves in knots trying not to contradict themselves.

I hope that Boris and his fanbois have been in contact with the editor of the OED about rewriting the definition of “border”.

Has the CEO of Borders Council announced the rebranding to Not The Borders Council yet?
Anybody told the KOSB and the KOBR Association!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
If you're visiting twenty shops, you'll be in the shops a lot longer than if you are only visiting one. Therefore you'll be in close proximity to people you don't know for a much longer time.
The other issue is that tracing is far harder when you don't know who you have been near as opposed to now when far fewer contacts and most are known

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
There are 6 towns officially named in D&G given the 5 mile restriction of travel limit, all on the East side. As there have only been 6 new cases in last 11 Days in all of D&G this seems a bit, odd. Especially when Glasgow was >25 cases, Lanarkshire >20 for same 11 days.
The restrictions are to try to prevent another cluster escalating. Clamping down on all new outbreaks as soon as discovered.
Standard in contagious disease management.

We nearly had one in Lossiemouth but it was the difference between antibody and antigen testing

Rod924

LE
Kit Reviewer
The restrictions are to try to prevent another cluster escalating. Clamping down on all new outbreaks as soon as discovered.
Standard in contagious disease management.

We nearly had one in Lossiemouth but it was the difference between antibody and antigen testing
Did you type that with a straight face Fang? I kind of guessed that.

My point was therefore, why not Glasgow or Lanarkshire? Even numbers v population/density can't come into the debate, or can it?

To me, it seemed it fitted the narrative of the 'close the Borders from the dirty English' narrative, anyone else see it?

FWIT I was in Leith yesterday for the funeral of my Uncle. The green at seafields was quiet, but further up the way was a game of football being played.

Driving through Melrose, Hawick and Langholm all quiet except pensioners on benches having a gab

My point was therefore, why not Glasgow or Lanarkshire? Even numbers v population/density can't come into the debate, or can it?

To me, it seemed it fitted the narrative of the 'close the Borders from the dirty English' narrative, anyone else see it?

FWIT I was in Leith yesterday for the funeral of my Uncle. The green at seafields was quiet, but further up the way was a game of football being played.

Driving through Melrose, Hawick and Langholm all quiet except pensioners on benches having a gab
I think you’ve already made your mind up based on your own prejudice, and you’re not going to let anything inconvenient like facts get in the way of that. A common syndrome on arrse, and this thread in particular.

The person who has spoken most about the D&G cluster is Jason Leitch. He’s not a politician, he’s a public health expert. You are accusing him of making decisions for political reasons, and I think you need a little more evidence than you’ve shown so far to make that accusation even slightly credible.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

If you read what I said, it was about new outbreaks. Glasgow and Lanarkshire are established. Now that we have fewer cases, a change in strategy means we have more resources to prevent new clusters forming

We were warned about potential for same in Lossiemouth.
2 contractors arrived from South to work on MOD site.
Tested positive by private test done by their own company, retested by NHS Highland.
Turns out, company test was antibody so merely shows that they have had it at one time.
We tested for antigens which shows current infection status.

Rod924

LE
Kit Reviewer
I think you’ve already made your mind up based on your own prejudice, and you’re not going to let anything inconvenient like facts get in the way of that. A common syndrome on arrse, and this thread in particular.

The person who has spoken most about the D&G cluster is Jason Leitch. He’s not a politician, he’s a public health expert. You are accusing him of making decisions for political reasons, and I think you need a little more evidence than you’ve shown so far to make that accusation even slightly credible.
Where have I accused the person you name in my post? I'm taking my findings from dashboards of daily updates. You say prejudice as well as 'my mind is made up' yet I ended both comment with a question, no?

Where have I accused the person you name in my post? I'm taking my findings from dashboards of daily updates. You say prejudice as well as 'my mind is made up' yet I ended both comment with a question, no?
As I said, Jason Leitch is leading the information campaign on this cluster and is most likely highly involved in overseeing the contract tracing operation. Your accusation was that this is a political exercise, therefore your accusation is directed at him whether you are aware of it or not. If you are not aware of it, it’s clear that you haven’t really spent any time looking into this before making accusations of it being about ”closing the border from the dirty English”.

Oh, and by the way, there’s no such thing as a border ;)

Rod924

LE
Kit Reviewer
If you read what I said, it was about new outbreaks. Glasgow and Lanarkshire are established. Now that we have fewer cases, a change in strategy means we have more resources to prevent new clusters forming

We were warned about potential for same in Lossiemouth.
2 contractors arrived from South to work on MOD site.
Tested positive by private test done by their own company, retested by NHS Highland.
Turns out, company test was antibody so merely shows that they have had it at one time.
We tested for antigens which shows current infection status.
As I've already mentioned above, the info it's from dashboards normally tweeted on line as replies to Scot Gov daily brief tweet. D&G was 0 0 0 0 0 0 5 6 6 6 6 (running total - so without trawling Twitter right now, the starting point was c400, so then 405, 406).

Glasgow has had number increasing daily, albeit 2 or 3 daily.

Another consideration must be testing. You've mentioned yourself about testing and the lack of test carried out, or has this significantly improved?

Rod924

LE
Kit Reviewer
As I said, Jason Leitch is leading the information campaign on this cluster and is most likely highly involved in overseeing the contract tracing operation. Your accusation was that this is a political exercise, therefore your accusation is directed at him whether you are aware of it or not. If you are not aware of it, it’s clear that you haven’t really spent any time looking into this before making accusations of it being about ”closing the border from the dirty English”.

Oh, and by the way, there’s no such thing as a border ;)
Oh, forget your man. FWIW, yep, I stand fully by that comment and I take it direct from Sturgeon, Cherry, Humza the white person in a top job hater and the bonkers Bloater Banker. Too much time on Twitter I admit but digested a lot of info in that time.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
As I've already mentioned above, the info it's from dashboards normally tweeted on line as replies to Scot Gov daily brief tweet. D&G was 0 0 0 0 0 0 5 6 6 6 6 (running total - so without trawling Twitter right now, the starting point was c400, so then 405, 406).

Glasgow has had number increasing daily, albeit 2 or 3 daily.

Another consideration must be testing. You've mentioned yourself about testing and the lack of test carried out, or has this significantly improved?
So we are presently trying to contain established outbreaks and simultaneously squashing any new clusters as they erupt.

Testing is an integral part of that.

But equally important is the tracing and isolation of positive cases and their significant contacts.

Testing is therefore on several levels.

Routine screens of health and care workers.

Screening of those with symptoms.

Screening of potential contacts.

All admissions to hospital are screened, as are discharge to care homes

Rod924

LE
Kit Reviewer
So we are presently trying to contain established outbreaks and simultaneously squashing any new clusters as they erupt.

Testing is an integral part of that.

But equally important is the tracing and isolation of positive cases and their significant contacts.

Testing is therefore on several levels.

Routine screens of health and care workers.

Screening of those with symptoms.

Screening of potential contacts.

All admissions to hospital are screened, as are discharge to care homes
Informative as always. But if cases are still rising, albeit low numbers, in the Central belt, why is there to travel restriction imposed There?

Latest Threads