Scottish Politics Thread

Pretty much since the UK Government have been maintaining their Coronavirus Dashboard, it has shown the case rate in Scotland to be higher than in England. This has always puzzled me as the death rate in England has been consistently 50% higher than Scotland.

But now, suddenly the numbers have changed.

1593779713543.png

The death rate has remained the same, but curiously the case rate for all the constituent countries has increased, and the figure for England is now higher than for Scotland.

How can this be?

Well, it turns out that they have been massaging the figures by only including the Pillar 1 test results, and have now included Pillar 2.

I'm not really sure why the change in direction, but I suspect it may be something to do with fact that they had to reveal the Pillar 2 figures to show why action was necessary in Leicester as the Pillar 1 figures didn't show any significant increase in cases.

Attachments

A professor from University College London who sits on SAGE was on Radio Scotland this morning praising the Scottish approach and timings stating that the current trend South was going against advice especially the opening of pubs indoors.
You pay your money you can take your choice. These so-called experts are experts at feeding the media what it is they want to hear. For every opinion there is one way you can find similar numbers saying something different, no wonder the general public do what they want, it's not politicians that are at fault it's the experts that can't agree.

I'd also say I've lost count of everytime a key financial decision on interest rates was to be made, particularly under Osbourne, the Monetary Policy Committee would brief the media on what their personal view was followed by another member giving theirs and they normally differed.

Effin experts !!!!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Pretty much since the UK Government have been maintaining their Coronavirus Dashboard, it has shown the case rate in Scotland to be higher than in England. This has always puzzled me as the death rate in England has been consistently 50% higher than Scotland.

But now, suddenly the numbers have changed.

View attachment 486826
The death rate has remained the same, but curiously the case rate for all the constituent countries has increased, and the figure for England is now higher than for Scotland.

How can this be?

Well, it turns out that they have been massaging the figures by only including the Pillar 1 test results, and have now included Pillar 2.

I'm not really sure why the change in direction, but I suspect it may be something to do with fact that they had to reveal the Pillar 2 figures to show why action was necessary in Leicester as the Pillar 1 figures didn't show any significant increase in cases.

It has always been apparent that there was a discrepancy however now that we are recording a mere handful of cases and England is still in the hundreds, albeit low hundreds the difference has become more apparent.

It has always been apparent that there was a discrepancy however now that we are recording a mere handful of cases and England is still in the hundreds, albeit low hundreds the difference has become more apparent.
That a discrepancy was apparent didn't stop some of the belters on social media from proclaiming how poorly the Scottish Government were handling the pandemic - based on statistics we now know to be false.

1593782232176.png

It appears that making road signs bilingual and teaching it in a few primary schools is not enough to keep a language alive.
Having had quick peruse of the Stats I find that around 1% of people in Scotland are Gaelic speakers while 12% of Scottish Households contain a veteran.!!!!

Does this then not make the case for Gaelic Road signs to be replaced with Tac Signs indicating the nearest Legion /ex Serviceman's or Regimental Club?

Police patrolling the border will be an interesting proposition, there are a fair number of the people who travel from Scotland into England/Carlisle area for work, etc. and there does not seem to be any acknowledgement of this. I wonder how this will turn out.
Its a nonsense, as Boris stated in parliament there are no borders in the UK.

homeworker

War Hero
Its a nonsense, as Boris stated in parliament there are no borders in the UK.
Yes and No. Whilst there is no border St Nic has maintained the 5 mile travel limit and keeps places like Annan, Lockerbie, Dumfries, etc. in full lockdown because of the threat of Covid coming over from England/Carlisle. Effectively, closing the border.

offog

LE
Yes and No. Whilst there is no border St Nic has maintained the 5 mile travel limit and keeps places like Annan, Lockerbie, Dumfries, etc. in full lockdown because of the threat of Covid coming over from England/Carlisle. Effectively, closing the border.
Interesting, the little one has booked a ferry crossing to NI next month. Has all traffic to Stranraer been stopped.

The border is not and has not been closed. Loads of traffic has flowed to and fro for the last 3 months.
I know of 2 families in my small village who have travelled south last week to visit family and I am working in England next week.

homeworker

War Hero
I'll give them all a wave as I drive by on the M74.
How they are going to deal with it I don't know but there are 'loads' who come into Carlisle at the weekend for 'entertainment' also the border is very porous for workers from England and Scotland but if wee Nicky is going to enforce the 5 mile travel bubble it will potentially cause some problems.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
My mate drove from Slough to Glasgow today and is heading back down to Carlisle at the moment
Shithole to shithole - not got much good luck your mate!

How they are going to deal with it I don't know but there are 'loads' who come into Carlisle at the weekend for 'entertainment' also the border is very porous for workers from England and Scotland but if wee Nicky is going to enforce the 5 mile travel bubble it will potentially cause some problems.
Very porous? You make it sound like the Irish/Norn Iron border. There is no border.

homeworker

War Hero
I agree that there is no border in the traditional sense but at what point dies Cumbria end and Dumfries and Galloway begin?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I agree that there is no border in the traditional sense but at what point dies Cumbria end and Dumfries and Galloway begin?
Freudian slip? ;)

The bit where it says "Welcome to Scotland" at a guess. I think there is also a sign to the Gretna factory outlet!

Latest Threads