Scottish Politics Thread

This graphic is going the rounds in social media. Not as a political point from me but for info, a daily-updated running total of COVID-19 associated deaths by nation is in fact included in the Gov UK coronavirus dashboard here:
  • Coronavirus (COVID-19) in the UK
View attachment 486708

Total UK deaths from Covid-19 with no pre-diagnosed co-morbidities

~1.500​

Nothing political about it, been listening to the medical evidence and following the public health advice
Dear Mr Gullible #32175968,

Thank you for confirmation of "I have swallowed the party line completely"

Good to know you can't think for yourself and need information, information, information from us

Regards,

Number 1

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

It seems that some actions during lockdown do have consequences

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
These nurses were they fit like……or were they ahem escapees from wattan

No one escaped from Watten.

It was home to those too Nazi even for Cultybraggan

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Kick in the backside for Nikeliar

View attachment 486051

:rofl:
Anyone who thinks the EU wouldn’t extend membership to Scotland is dreaming. Of course it would. That’s the nature of the beast. It would be done to spite rUK if for no other reason.

It would be total madness for Scotland to join the EU and the SNP know it. Its been useful for the last few years as it has given the SNP a rallying cry. Standby for EU enthusiasm to be dropped once we’re out and gone.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The numbers at present are not yet high enough to warrant the mandatory wearing of face coverings inside shops.

Face coverings in public have been advised for some time. If folk choose not to heed that advice it is a personal health choice.

Once sufficient folk are out and about it becomes more public health and thus the choice is removed.
I’d be interested in your personal view on masks for the general public.

We’ve been told to so I will but I’m sceptical. Whilst they act as a barrier to emissions coming forward they can cause jetting to the sides. They also act as reservoirs and if touched could leave heavier loads on fingers which can then be transferred to surfaces for inward transmission to others.

Its been my observation that people wearing masks touch them frequently, not to mention constantly adjusting them, donning and doffing etc.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I’d be interested in your personal view on masks for the general public.

We’ve been told to so I will but I’m sceptical. Whilst they act as a barrier to emissions coming forward they can cause jetting to the sides. They also act as reservoirs and if touched could leave heavier loads on fingers which can then be transferred to surfaces for inward transmission to others.

Its been my observation that people wearing masks touch them frequently, not to mention constantly adjusting them, donning and doffing etc.
This is where the public health data comes into it. A small reduction in risk on an individual basis can have a marked effect on a population.

There are both medical and pyschological reasons for mask wearing.
Behavioural psychologists are becoming more apparent as time goes on in this pandemic.

The potential for becoming a reservoir and frequent touching will not overly affect the public health purpose of preventing spread as the main point is to reduce aerosol generation.

Side venting will be at a vastly reduced pressure.

To me, public education is required in correct mask wearing, more donning and doffing advice, emphasis on what is an effective face covering.

In the course of my working day I am now routinely wearing a mix of 3 different masks.
Around clinic, doing admin, a general purpose surgical face mask.
Non aerosol generating procedures, fluid resistance surgical mask and a visor.
Aerosol generating procedures, FFP3 mask and a visor with foam headband to ensure no ingress of aerosol from above when working.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
This is where the public health data comes into it. A small reduction in risk on an individual basis can have a marked effect on a population.

There are both medical and pyschological reasons for mask wearing.
Behavioural psychologists are becoming more apparent as time goes on in this pandemic.

The potential for becoming a reservoir and frequent touching will not overly affect the public health purpose of preventing spread as the main point is to reduce aerosol generation.

Side venting will be at a vastly reduced pressure.

To me, public education is required in correct mask wearing, more donning and doffing advice, emphasis on what is an effective face covering.

In the course of my working day I am now routinely wearing a mix of 3 different masks.
Around clinic, doing admin, a general purpose surgical face mask.
Non aerosol generating procedures, fluid resistance surgical mask and a visor.
Aerosol generating procedures, FFP3 mask and a visor with foam headband to ensure no ingress of aerosol from above when working.
Thank you. Obviously at work you require full PPE. It’s the general use that concerns me.

It does need much stronger messaging around touching and hand washing. I hope there will be more gel etc at Ingress and egress points. Scotsmid are good, Tesco its inly on the way in, Coop its bribg your own ditto the hardwear store I visited. Not been anywhere else.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Thank you. Obviously at work you require full PPE. It’s the general use that concerns me.

It does need much stronger messaging around touching and hand washing. I hope there will be more gel etc at Ingress and egress points. Scotsmid are good, Tesco its inly on the way in, Coop its bribg your own ditto the hardwear store I visited. Not been anywhere else.
My examples show in order.
General protection of others.
Personal protection in a at risk environment.
Personal protection in a high risk environment.

Our local co-op has both hand gel and spray for basket handles.

Dafty duck

On ROPS
On ROPs
My examples show in order.
General protection of others.
Personal protection in a at risk environment.
Personal protection in a high risk environment.

Our local co-op has both hand gel and spray for basket handles.
I've yet to go into a shop that didn't have what you've described. One notable exception is that in Waitrose and M&S, they have someone clean the trolley for you.

Re masks in shops going forward, lot more people going to be out and about, not a big ask to take an extra precaution.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I've yet to go into a shop that didn't have what you've described. One notable exception is that in Waitrose and M&S, they have someone clean the trolley for you.

Re masks in shops going forward, lot more people going to be out and about, not a big ask to take an extra precaution.
My local Tesco also had a team cleaning trolleys and ensuring gel etc was available. Mind you that team was made up from staff who would normally work in the cafe or mobile phone shops which had been closed down. What happens when they are needed back at their normal place of work is still to be seen.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

It appears that making road signs bilingual and teaching it in a few primary schools is not enough to keep a language alive.

the problem is you can do all of that but just try to bu a properly approved mask! there are now so many cheap chinese crappy masks being sold as uk supplied, not to mention how expensive they are so it is highly likely anything you purchase will be sub standard, have a very poor performance and then add into the mix incorrect wearing, not regularly replacing disposable masks or changing filters on the 'gucci' ones and the constant touching of them and theireffectiveness is marginal at best!
- the only real benefit is as FF suggested psychological and getting the scaredy cats out and about. we already have clear unequivical data that the social distancing measures without masks were extremely effective and the peak of infection occured a week before the lockdown as a result of those measures so queen nicola implementing a mask policy now makes little or no sense.
We must all remember the virus will never be eradicated, a level of herd immunity is reqd s we all need to be exposed, less the weak and vulnerable and people will suffer and die from CV strains for years to come, even when a vaccine emerges it will be for particular strains and every year will need to be updated. I am extremely angry queen nicola and westminster are not telling the public the simple truth so they can prepare themselves and realise that hiding yourself for a few mre weeks will not protect you from any and all exposure from here to the end of time!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
the problem is you can do all of that but just try to bu a properly approved mask! there are now so many cheap chinese crappy masks being sold as uk supplied, not to mention how expensive they are so it is highly likely anything you purchase will be sub standard, have a very poor performance and then add into the mix incorrect wearing, not regularly replacing disposable masks or changing filters on the 'gucci' ones and the constant touching of them and theireffectiveness is marginal at best!
- the only real benefit is as FF suggested psychological and getting the scaredy cats out and about. we already have clear unequivical data that the social distancing measures without masks were extremely effective and the peak of infection occured a week before the lockdown as a result of those measures so queen nicola implementing a mask policy now makes little or no sense.
We must all remember the virus will never be eradicated, a level of herd immunity is reqd s we all need to be exposed, less the weak and vulnerable and people will suffer and die from CV strains for years to come, even when a vaccine emerges it will be for particular strains and every year will need to be updated. I am extremely angry queen nicola and westminster are not telling the public the simple truth so they can prepare themselves and realise that hiding yourself for a few mre weeks will not protect you from any and all exposure from here to the end of time!
The difficulty with the herd immunity is that it is going to require a lot of infections in the community. Whilst the majority will be asymptomatic or of low grade, there will be a number of cases which will be more serious and a significant amount of deaths

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Dear Mr Gullible #32175968,

Thank you for confirmation of "I have swallowed the party line completely"

Good to know you can't think for yourself and need information, information, information from us

Regards,

Number 1
In order to form opinions one has to obtain information from somewhere.

Most of what I post on Covid 19 has come from a variety of sources. UK Gov being a major source of the comparative data.

Other sources include NHS Highland, NHS Scotland, Public Health England, Health Protection Scotland, General Medical council, General Dental council, Royal College of Surgeons, ScotGov, British Association of Oral and MaxilloFacial Surgeons, Facility of General Dental Practitioners.

As well as a network of local care home and care at home managers that I visit, both public and private sectors.

I access and listen to a range of experts in public health and other related subjects, as stated above, behavioural psychology is becoming more and more important.

I think for myself by looking at the evidence available, correlating it against other information and coming to my own conclusions.

So bearing this in mind I have examined your statement and you can fornicate off.

Last edited:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
So I am not allowed to have an opinion. You are the husband of Mrs Murrell and I claim my £3.25.:roll:
Can you send me your bank details so I can arrange transfer of the necessary funds? :biggrin:

Latest Threads