Scottish Politics Thread

JuniorBod

War Hero
"Ms Sturgeon says
"Anyone who is trotting out political or constitutional arguments is in the wrong place," she says."
Pot, kettle, black, springs to mind.....

All she has ever done is trot out political and constitutional arguments:pissedoff:

JB

Edit for spelung...

Last edited:
Pot, kettle, black, springs to mind.....

All she has ever done is trott out political and constitutional arguments:pissedoff:

JB
Don't agree with the bit in bold. During the Covid period Sturgeon has, to a large extent, shied away from political & constitutional stuff and focussed on leading Scotland. I just wish she'd act that way all the time along with her Party in Holyrood and I might start voting SNP again (the SNP jokers at Westminster can go and sh1te for all I care).

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Don't agree with the bit in bold. During the Covid period Sturgeon has, to a large extent, shied away from political & constitutional stuff and focussed on leading Scotland. I just wish she'd act that way all the time along with her Party in Holyrood and I might start voting SNP again (the SNP jokers at Westminster can go and sh1te for all I care).
I agree that she has done a good job but feel that she has been a touch ingenuous in saying she is apolitical in her broadcasts. Her decisions have mirrored BJ's but worded slightly different with different timings to show that she is not following England, which she is as that is the nature of the virus.

Today she said that Scots are not allowed to cross the Border in to England under the relaxation of travel restrictions. Over the past months there have been several times when she has courted her party policies without actually saying Tories are wrong.

Where she has been good is keeping the media in their box not rising to the insulting and leading questions from some, cutting the journo out and moving on. In controlling the media she has been fantastic.

She has been very much a control freak and, asSarah Smith said, and was forced to apologise for, Nic is thoroughly enjoying this crisis as she can tell the country what and when to do things and does not have to worry about education, police, NHS. No acceptance either that the people of Scotland have been greatly assisted by the grants for furlough payments, self employed and Universal Credit increases - none of which are Barnet formula payments.

Right oh, rant over. St Nic has been OK but not as squeaky clean as she claims.

Today she said that Scots are not allowed to cross the Border in to England under the relaxation of travel restrictions. Over the past months there have been several times when she has courted her party policies without actually saying Tories are wrong.
Ummh, no mention of Northern Ireland and restrictions at Cairnryan

I agree that she has done a good job but feel that she has been a touch ingenuous in saying she is apolitical in her broadcasts. Her decisions have mirrored BJ's but worded slightly different with different timings to show that she is not following England, which she is as that is the nature of the virus.

Where she has been good is keeping the media in their box not rising to the insulting and leading questions from some, cutting the journo out and moving on. In controlling the media she has been fantastic.

She has been very much a control freak and, asSarah Smith said, and was forced to apologise for, Nic is thoroughly enjoying this crisis as she can tell the country what and when to do things and does not have to worry about education, police, NHS. No acceptance either that the people of Scotland have been greatly assisted by the grants for furlough payments, self employed and Universal Credit increases - none of which are Barnet formula payments.

Right oh, rant over. St Nic has been OK but not as squeaky clean as she claims.
Agree in the main, particularly about the control freakery. Having seen the numbers of deaths and infections from Covid go down, despite numerous muppets refusing to follow guidance and direction, no huge National spike in numbers (only localised small increases) or second wave of deaths and infections, from the 10 July everyone that goes into a shop HAS to wear a mask*! Now, if we didn't before but were advised it was a good thing to do, why is she making it compulsory when, as far as I'm aware, the rest of the UK isn't?

* With I presume penalties applied.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Agree in the main, particularly about the control freakery. Having seen the numbers of deaths and infections from Covid go down, despite numerous muppets refusing to follow guidance and direction, no huge National spike in numbers (only localised small increases) or second wave of deaths and infections, from the 10 July everyone that goes into a shop HAS to wear a mask*! Now, if we didn't before but were advised it was a good thing to do, why is she making it compulsory when, as far as I'm aware, the rest of the UK isn't?

It's not compulsory but mandatory which I have been told are different things. No, I don't understand but apparently mandatory doesn't mean you have to do it. :)

So she can control everyone.

If it is so important why does she have to wait another week before doing it

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Same as face coverings were advised in Scotland before England, different decisions made on the same advice.

With regards to shops, previously fewer folk were out and about, and definitely less in the shops, as the number of shops increase and the number of folk out in them increase then so does the risk of community spread.

It's not compulsory but mandatory which I have been told are different things. No, I don't understand but apparently mandatory doesn't mean you have to do it. :)
Like it is on the buses, except when it isn't.

I was out for a walk earlier a couple of buses went past both about half full and I saw one person wearing a face covering and one with one hanging from the ear to one side :-D

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Because that's when the risk from increased numbers out and about will warrant it

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
A professor from University College London who sits on SAGE was on Radio Scotland this morning praising the Scottish approach and timings stating that the current trend South was going against advice especially the opening of pubs indoors.

To offer an unlikely micro-instance as to why?
Tomorrow, I can "legally" drive at will from home to (say) Tyndrum 70 miles north..perhaps/perhaps not carrying Cov-id.
I get to the Green Welly garage sans mask, cough, potentially infect others in the fuel Q...off they go...and we know the rest. Now, oddly, on the 10th if I do this with a mask, I'll be less likely to infect anyone.
If I don't I run the risk of a £60.00 spot fine..if plod was around.
Allegedly.
If it's so important, it really ought to have been "mandatory" tomorrow.
Not that I'm driving to Tyndrum since, as usual, it'll be pishin' but I guess you get the point.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Sorry not accepting that, there are loads of people out and about presently. If it was so important then she should have said from now.
Professor Leitch explained it as thus this morning.

He has more public health credentials than I.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Like it is on the buses, except when it isn't.

I was out for a walk earlier a couple of buses went past both about half full and I saw one person wearing a face covering and one with one hanging from the ear to one side :-D
Aye, my laddie went up to Edinburgh yesterday and he said about 20% were masked up. I asked if the driver mentioned anything and he said no, nowt to do with the driver.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Are people going to be more infectious in a weeks time than they are at present :???:

:-D
Maybe but there's going to be more out and about.

Not about how infectious folk are but the density of them

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
There are already thousands and thousands of folk, maybe not up there, out and about
And that number is going to increase as more and more restrictions are lifted and the critical mass is reckoned to be reached next week.