Scottish Politics Thread

mrboo

War Hero
Not just the fuzz, Ambulance service all local authority vans in North Ayrshire splattered with it as well as train station signage. Pretty ironic as down here its auld Scots we spoke but that just gets ignored as doesn't fit the mantra even a local school has been designated a gaelic hubsite which the LA has to provide from their budget nice to see the administration has its priorities in the right order.
My wife is Welsh and a welsh speaker . When we visit her family in Wales you hear Welsh being spoken as you walk about , so in Wales I totally agree with Welsh and English signs .
I have lived in the highlands for over forty years working north to Thurso the west coast and Skye. Gaelic is not something you hear being spoken on the mainland . There is probably and argument that the signs should also be in Polish Urdu or Doric.
But it makes the tourists feel they are in a foreign country …. just not helpful when trying to negotiate a roundabout and you are a tourist

I know an English man living in Scotland married to a Welsh woman and who served in a Scottish regiment

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
My wife is Welsh and a welsh speaker . When we visit her family in Wales you hear Welsh being spoken as you walk about , so in Wales I totally agree with Welsh and English signs .
I have lived in the highlands for over forty years working north to Thurso the west coast and Skye. Gaelic is not something you hear being spoken on the mainland . There is probably and argument that the signs should also be in Polish Urdu or Doric.
But it makes the tourists feel they are in a foreign country …. just not helpful when trying to negotiate a roundabout and you are a tourist

I know an English man living in Scotland married to a Welsh woman and who served in a Scottish regiment
In the last year, have had a couple of old folk in care homes who were native Gaelic speaker, who reverted to their first language.

(And have had Italian,German, French and Bulgarian.)

Last edited:
In the last year, have had a couple of old folk in care homes who were native Gaelic speaker, who reverted to their first language.

(And have had Italian,German, French and Bulgarian.)
Only we have more Polish speakers in Scotland than Gaelic all for it being preserved where it is spoken, Just not forced on the rest of the population who probably don't give two shits about it.

mrboo

War Hero
I don't disagree that some people do speak the language. But rolling out duel language signs on emergency vehicles road signs and street names where only very small minority speak garlic as a first langue or indeed speak it at all it seems to me the money could be better spent. But as I have said before it is nice for the tourists

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
It is alright heid mammy has said we are "not that far" from eliminating covid19

:rofl:
But we are still to remain locked in - as that is where she wants to keep us! :)

It is alright, heid mammy has said we are "not that far" from eliminating covid19

:rofl:
Which is a most ludicrous statement too make and yet she seems to be able to spout this pish with impunity.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
As long as you stay away
Highland hospitality strikes again, i see yon place you mentioned has a big spread in the herald for next weekend. Question is will the local gene pool need fresh dna to avoid everyone being related.

Only we have more Polish speakers in Scotland than Gaelic all for it being preserved where it is spoken, Just not forced on the rest of the population who probably don't give two shits about it.
Rab C Nesbit had something to say about that. South Uist folk songs....

mcphee1948

War Hero
Why do road-signs written in Welsh or Gaelic, always use more letters than equivalent signs written in English.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Highland hospitality strikes again, i see yon place you mentioned has a big spread in the herald for next weekend. Question is will the local gene pool need fresh dna to avoid everyone being related.
The wild campers are getting reported to the police.

Who appear to be taking it seriously.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
is scotland like eire then with languages being english, polish then gaelic?

I don’t think diversity in the gene pool in Sutherland is much of a problem, half of the population are “white settlers”, with almost 50% born in England.
You’ll find more inbreeding in certain parts of Paisley.