Scottish Politics Thread

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Mine has been closed for the last six weeks. There is no indication they are opening again soon.
Unless they are PDS or a hospital, they may have closed doors but should still have been answering phone.

All the guidance and instructions have been sent out last week

Wee Nippy not happy:

Unless they are PDS or a hospital, they may have closed doors but should still have been answering phone.

My (English) dentist has emailed everyone saying they'll be open again on 8th June. Not in the usual way, all manner of distancing malarky, including no going in for appointments but sitting in your car until they call you.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
My (English) dentist has emailed everyone saying they'll be open again on 8th June. Not in the usual way, all manner of distancing malarky, including no going in for appointments but sitting in your car until they call you.
There is a great deal of confusion South, up here we've had the quite detailed guidance as linked above.

South they have had a letter stating that they will be open from 8th June. The problem is that they don't have the PPE to do everything.

We are to maintain our network of Urgent Dental Care Centres who will do the more risky treatments under enhanced PPE whilst GDPs will start off by taking back simpler non aerosol generating procedures like extractions.
If no problems with that, they will move on to procedures like exams in a few more weeks but aerosol generating procedures still be referred to us lucky souls in the PDS.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Closed doors are no use. The public wants them to open wide.
Very amusing.

The issue is that there have been many scare stories about the risks of dental treatment. Theoretically, outside of those in ICUs, we are a group most at risk due to proximity of working and aerosols involved.

And whilst there are those of us happy to work in the enhanced PPE, those at the highest levels are making best of the information and ensuring maximum protection for staff and patients.

Last edited:

Just checked my dental practice's website: closed until the Scottish government gives the OK to reopen. And the way Wee Nicky's dragging her fat arse, that will be late June at the very earliest.

There is a great deal of confusion South, up here we've had the quite detailed guidance as linked above.

South they have had a letter stating that they will be open from 8th June. The problem is that they don't have the PPE to do everything.

We are to maintain our network of Urgent Dental Care Centres who will do the more risky treatments under enhanced PPE whilst GDPs will start off by taking back simpler non aerosol generating procedures like extractions.
If no problems with that, they will move on to procedures like exams in a few more weeks but aerosol generating procedures still be referred to us lucky souls in the PDS.
BBC had an interview this week with an English dentist. He said that any aerosol generating treatments - as I understand it, anything that involves actually drilling into a tooth - requires a high level of PPE. The masks have to be individually fitted to each dentist/nurse. He said he'd managed to source a number of the masks, but hadn't been able to get them fitted yet.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Just checked my dental practice's website: closed until the Scottish government gives the OK to reopen. And the way Wee Nicky's dragging her fat arse, that will be late June at the very earliest.
If you look at the guidance I linked above, you will see that the preparations are underway and will happen very shortly

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
BBC had an interview this week with an English dentist. He said that any aerosol generating treatments - as I understand it, anything that involves actually drilling into a tooth - requires a high level of PPE. The masks have to be individually fitted to each dentist/nurse. He said he'd managed to source a number of the masks, but hadn't been able to get them fitted yet.
Dentistry is an area with a fair degree of divergence in approach between North and South.

We have a successful network of Urgent Dental Care Centre up and running whilst they are struggling to do so South.

As such they are putting the pressure on GDPs to undertake these aerosol generating procedures South.

We are planning to continue providing them in specific locations only Up here.

AGPs do require enhanced PPE, they also require a specific set of decontamination processes including leaving the room empty for an hour after use to let aerosol settle.

This slows down through put of patients considerably

Good to see they have their priorities right

Scottish Government senior managers have been handed inflation-busting pay rises of up to 12 per cent in the middle of the coronvirus crisis.
All animals are created equal, but some are more equal than others.

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer
Have you got a link to a starting point, just something to wet the appetite, as it were?
I found the first post on Twitter in my local SNP branch chairman’s time line, from there it was just a case of looking at those he followed and followed him. It wasn’t restricted to my local branch, numerous branches seem to be in the process of fracturing, I’d start with your local branch.

She'd be castigated if she opened them now and there was a huge spike proved to be from dental surgeries. She's in a no win situation, as is Boris, except Boris has the whole of the UKs economy to kick start, NS has a part to play in that and neither can afford the bricks that will get hurled by the 20/20 hindsighters.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
She'd be castigated if she opened them now and there was a huge spike proved to be from dental surgeries. She's in a no win situation, as is Boris, except Boris has the whole of the UKs economy to kick start, NS has a part to play in that and neither can afford the bricks that will get hurled by the 20/20 hindsighters.
To be blunt, we could not open now.
The uproar among the profession South is quite extreme at the thought of being forced to open 8th June

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I had my best ever dentist appointment the other day. I woke up last Monday with a sore tooth, upper molar. Rang the dentists who said a dentist would call me back. Just an hour later a nice dentist called talked me through my issue and decided that probably I had bruised the tooth and area - I had been eating nuts the day previously. Solution, ibrufen for a couple of days. No sitting in the dreaded chair, no light in the eyes, no picking at my teeth and gums with those sharp picks,consequently no abject fear, terror even and a successful outcome. More of the same please! :)

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I had my best ever dentist appointment the other day. I woke up last Monday with a sore tooth, upper molar. Rang the dentists who said a dentist would call me back. Just an hour later a nice dentist called talked me through my issue and decided that probably I had bruised the tooth and area - I had been eating nuts the day previously. Solution, ibrufen for a couple of days. No sitting in the dreaded chair, no light in the eyes, no picking at my teeth and gums with those sharp picks,consequently no abject fear, terror even and a successful outcome. More of the same please! :)

The current system works reasonably well for emergency but we are not providing any of the routine stuff.

Much the same as all the NHS

Latest Threads