Scottish Politics Thread

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer
Well you just know that a lot of the more “committed” members of the SNP have just screamed a lot of obscenities at their TV’s. Nationalist social media will be in meltdown and calls for Sturgeon to resign/die/die horribly will be many.

I have been impressed with the lady when I have seen her (occasionally) behind a microphone, but I’m afraid she became a classic of the kind: I am part of the elite, so the rules do not apply to me (even if I am making them…)
You do have to wonder what the thought process she went through was? She stands in front of TV cameras daily saying “Stay at home, protect the NHS, save lives”. What is the mindset that gets someone from there to “Ah! It’ll be alright. Let’s just pop over to the Earlsferry for a night”. Twice! It takes a special level of hypocrisy to do that imho.

The main point here is being overlooked

She was caught out and published visiting her 2nd home

Wee Nippy was informed and went into the press conference backing the SMO Scotland, in the knowledge she had visited her 2nd home on 1 occasion.

No doubt Wee Nippy had spoken to her before the press conference and was reassured, during the press conference the SMO Scotland admitted to visiting her 2nd home on 2 occasions.

I expect that it was a breakdown of trust, that triggered her resignation / sacking

2 grave errors at a critical time

1. Breaking the guidelines

2. Lying to Wee Nippy

Archie

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Just as an aside one thing that is often talked about in medical terms is the difference between guidance and absolute must do.

There is a subtle difference.

But it has seen many an argument between experts at fitness to practice hearings

Just as an aside one thing that is often talked about in medical terms is the difference between guidance and absolute must do.

But it has seen many an argument between experts at fitness to practice hearings
Doesn't matter how you say it, chap - 'I am issuing this guidance and I hope that you will all follow it. I, however, will choose to ignore it. Twice'.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
If this BBC piece is to be believed, then the First Mammy needs to tweak her political antenna a bit:

' . . . agreed to go after a long chat . . . '

I would have expected that conversation to be rather short.

And brusque.
Without hot drinks?

TamH70

MIA
The Chief Medical Officer has to be a Medic, ie a qualified Doctor.

Not sure if he's dual qualified
Don't you have to be a Doctor of Dentistry (like this chap:

)

in order to practice the gentle art of yanking teeth out with big steel tools in this country?

SDFA

Old-Salt

I don't know about what you were taught about communication and leadership, but I was always told Kiss, keep it simple stupid.
When trying to get a message across, always aim for the lowest common denominator, talk clearly with no ambiguity and keep it brief.
Muddying the waters with guidance/absolute, could /should is the reason the medja are now having a field day picking holes in guidance-'ohh, can I sunbathe? , can I climb that mountain? Etc etc.
A lot of politicians should be introuduced to FCO if they want to get something done

Clear and concise
Loudly, so the gravity of what is being telt sinks in
As an order (no wiggle room)
with Pauses to allow the info to sink in.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I don't know about what you were taught about communication and leadership, but I was always told Kiss, keep it simple stupid.
When trying to get a message across, always aim for the lowest common denominator, talk clearly with no ambiguity and keep it brief.
Muddying the waters with guidance/absolute, could /should is the reason the medja are now having a field day picking holes in guidance-'ohh, can I sunbathe? , can I climb that mountain? Etc etc.
A lot of politicians should be introuduced to FCO if they want to get something done

Clear and concise
So why the constant reference to government guidance rather than making it law?

Last edited:

Clear and concise
That's fine when dealing with the military. It might even work when dealing with the emergency sevices. But the UK government is dealing with Joe public. Aiming at the "lowest common denominator", means dealing with semi literate mongs, the entitled masses and people who's first language is not English.
They, rightly IMHO tried the softly, softly approach in order to stop a mass panic (we're all going to die) and also to stop people from claiming we're now in a police state run by fascists (never going to happen considering some of the creatures that now inhabit cyberspace).
That has clearly not worked, so more robust policing is required.
As for the media, they have been one of the main contributors to "muddying the waters". Just listen to any of the afternoon briefings and the follow up questions by Peston, Keunsberg etc.

What is the mindset that gets someone from there to “Ah! It’ll be alright. Let’s just pop over to the Earlsferry for a night”. Twice! It takes a special level of hypocrisy to do that imho.
Agreed. Mind you, it would be amusing if His Purpleness hadn't visited her, but instead her partner and kids: "look, you're still isolated, it's OK, for goodness sake let's just go, the kids are screaming, you've been working flat-out for weeks now, we can't stand it, we need a break... what's the worst that could happen?"

It's kind of the ultimate: "See? I told you it was a stupid f***ing idea, but nooooo, you insisted that we had to go to Fife"...

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Sometimes though it’s not a good idea to change leadership half way through a crisis.

As an aside, how’s work? Are you guys still working? Or just dealing with emergencies?
All general dentistry is stopped.

There is a network of Urgent Dental Care Centres (for covid symptom free patients) and Dedicated Covid Urgent Dental Care Centres (covid positive patients)

The former are pretty much extraction only as are the latter but with more PPE, which we don't have much of.

In my spare time when not working in UDCC or doing admin, writing protocols and procedures, am also moonlighting in a virus assessment centre.

Basically putting all that Cold War NBC training into action

Latest Threads