Scottish Politics Thread

HE117

LE
I dunno...

I would have thought that swapping CMOs in mid crisis as a consequence of a press "gotcha" game is probably not in our best interests. I would strongly suggest that the Fife house is actually her main residence and that her second house is in Edinburgh.. My cousin's husband, who was an Edinburgh heart surgeon did exactly the same. The main determinant of whether he drove home or not was how long he had been on his feet in surgery..

I just think the press should wind their collective necks in at the moment.. this is not the time nor the place for these infantile games..

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I dunno...

I would have thought that swapping CMOs in mid crisis as a consequence of a press "gotcha" game is probably not in our best interests. I would strongly suggest that the Fife house is actually her main residence and that her second house is in Edinburgh.. My cousin's husband, who was an Edinburgh heart surgeon did exactly the same. The main determinant of whether he drove home or not was how long he had been on his feet in surgery..

I just think the press should wind their collective necks in at the moment.. this is not the time nor the place for these infantile games..

I must admit I am torn on the matter.

It is not ideal to change CMO at this point when NHS is in a National Emergency.

However she has flagrantly broken her own advice to the public.

A oneoff trip by herself or hubby to check on the property could have been allowable but repeated trips with various family members goes against the grain.

I dunno...

I agree with you.

SDFA

Old-Salt
I dunno...

Are you being serious?

Imagine if you will, that you are the guard commander, entrusted with the safety of the camp and its inhabitants. You post your sentries under strict instructions not to move from post until relieved.

You then decide, not once, but twice to desert your post and go back to your room / pad to do some business as the stress of running a guard room is too much. You get caught out, would you -

A. - Expect to face sanctions for breaking the rules?

B. - Say sorry, write a letter and get away with it?

As to your point that changing over mid crisis, have you never heard of redundancy? What would happen if she fell ill or had an accident?

The rules have been designed and set out to protect the vast majority of the public and to prevent spread. If you are the social face of the Gov setting out these rules and are found in contravention of said rules, you have lost all credibility, so why should anybody believe another thing that comes out of your mouth?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Are you being serious?

Imagine if you will, that you are the guard commander, entrusted with the safety of the camp and its inhabitants. You post your sentries under strict instructions not to move from post until relieved.

You then decide, not once, but twice to desert your post and go back to your room / pad to do some business as the stress of running a guard room is too much. You get caught out, would you -

A. - Expect to face sanctions for breaking the rules?

B. - Say sorry, write a letter and get away with it?

As to your point that changing over mid crisis, have you never heard of redundancy? What would happen if she fell ill or had an accident?

The rules have been designed and set out to protect the vast majority of the public and to prevent spread. If you are the social face of the Gov setting out these rules and are found in contravention of said rules, you have lost all credibility, so why should anybody believe another thing that comes out of your mouth?

Your analogy is flawed in that she was not on duty when she made her journeys.

Closest to your analogy is Camp is under threat, CO asks MO what to do, camp goes under lockdown, MO says nobody should leave camp but then does so when not on duty

Last edited:
What I’m taking from this is that the Scottish CMO, along with her counterparts in the other parts of the Union is on a very nice pay package which allows her to afford a second home! I wonder if she has another holiday home in the sun (50 miles outside Edinburgh doesn’t count).
Public Health England, created by the Coalition Government in 2013, at the last count had more than 120 ‘directors’ on six figure sums, with a significant number of them ‘earning’ more than the Prime Minister. When all this is over and there is the inevitable price to pay, I trust Executive pay and perks will be the first in line for a review in order to get the books to balance.
FB_IMG_1586157257330.jpg

Look out for "Scotland" and "Police" - first is flapping the right elbow to mimic bagpipes, second is tapping an imaginary wristwatch, if you want to know the time ...
*aside*
The sign for ‘German’ is a finger pointing up from the top of the head (sometimes preceded by a ‘g’ sign).

SDFA

Old-Salt

Closest to your analogy is Camp is under threat, CO asks MO what to do, camp goes under lockdown, MO says nobody should leave camp but then does so when not on duty
Not on duty? Really?

I was unaware that the virus had naafi breaks. Can you tell me when these are scheduled for and I will take the opportunity to nip to the shop's?

And because she wasn't on duty, does that mean her MMA claims will also be null and void?

Serious head on-

If by your assertion, she was off duty, that would then mean that someone was standing in for her in her absence does it not?

If someone is standing in for her, then they must be competent to do the job?

If this person is deemed competent enough, why did Nicola stand by Calderwood and say she was indespensible?

If she was off duty for 24 hrs, surely Nicola knew where she was and how to contact her?

Sorta knocks the 'trusted advisor' scenario on the head doesn't it?

Reports last night were that she resigned.
Nicola is on TV this morning saying initially that she had resigned followed 2 mins later by her saying she had no trust in her and that she got rid. Which is it, did she resign or was she pushed?

rifleair

War Hero

According to a government spokesperson she was working 7days a week, which would suggest that she was on duty when she made her journeys!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Anyone watch Piers Morgan 'interviewing' The First Minister this morning? :grin:
No, but it would have been intetesting seeing those two huge egos on the same screen. I wonder how the techies managed it?

Anyone watch Piers Morgan 'interviewing' The First Minister this morning? :grin:
I have to say, since lockdown commenced, my daily intake of the News has reduced significantly. I no longer switch on the TV in the morning as my first IA when making a brew - because I know what I'm going to get. Doom and gloom, grandstanding journalists falling over themselves to trip up a Minister or Medical expert, mixed in with a dash of Princess Diana style schmaltz or the latest YouTube video of someone in the NHS melting down to camera*, or significantly worse, some bellend uploading a dance or song for the whole community to take part.
Maybe it's just me, but I'm starting to enjoy this social distancing from the rest of the world and in particular, the TV!
So no, I didn't watch Morgan this morning - until this is all over, I'm going to rely on ARRSE and it's huge variety of Covid19 related threads to keep me informed/entertained.

*Don't get me wrong, my admiration (and gratitude) to the NHS and it's workforce is right up there.

Last edited:

homeworker

War Hero
I have to say, since lockdown commenced, my daily intake of the News has reduced significantly. I no longer switch on the TV in the morning as my first IA when making a brew - because I know what I'm going to get. Doom and gloom, grandstanding journalists falling over themselves to trip up a Minister or Medical expert, mixed in with a dash of Princess Diana style schmaltz or the latest YouTube video of someone in the NHS melting down to camera, or significantly worse, some bellend uploading a dance or song for the whole community to take part.
Maybe it's just me, but I'm starting to enjoy this social distancing from the rest of the world and in particular, the TV!
So no, I didn't watch Morgan this morning - until this is all over, I'm going to rely on ARRSE and it's huge variety of Covid19 related threads to keep me informed/entertained.
I agree with you, we only put the TV on in the evening and find other things to do : my garden is not looking bad and looking forward to a blood test later.

I have to say, since lockdown commenced, my daily intake of the News has reduced significantly. I no longer switch on the TV in the morning as my first IA when making a brew - because I know what I'm going to get. Doom and gloom, grandstanding journalists falling over themselves to trip up a Minister or Medical expert, mixed in with a dash of Princess Diana style schmaltz or the latest YouTube video of someone in the NHS melting down to camera, or significantly worse, some bellend uploading a dance or song for the whole community to take part.
A perfect description of what currently passes for the news. Have several likes.
I now rarely watch any news from any channel. I still listen to the odd radio broadcast and if anything significant is happening I will turn on the i player but can only watch for a few minutes before it decends into the events you have described.

SDFA

Old-Salt
If this BBC piece is to be believed, then the First Mammy needs to tweak her political antenna a bit:

' . . . agreed to go after a long chat . . . '

I would have expected that conversation to be rather short.

And brusque.
Theres a lot that our journalists are not picking up on.

This morning when questioned on GMB, she initially said the CMO had resigned and not 2 minutes later, she said she had lost confidence and trust in her and got rid of her.

I noticed it, twitter noticed it, but not apparently Piers and his sidekick.

All persons in Gov should be held to account and when questioned, asked a binary question, Yes/No answer required. If elaboration / reasons for yes /no are required, do it swiftly and move on to next question.

Sturgeon along with a lot of her ilk have cottoned on to the fact that on tv, she is seen to be showing face and talking, whilst actually realising the the interview is time limited, winding down the clock to prevent any more questions being dropped in.

This is the reason A Neill is so good at interviews. Todays politicians are like goldfish, remember the soundbite / strapline for 5 mins...move on. As well as conducting indepth research into the subject to be discussed beforehand, Mr Neill is like an expert fisherman, constantly teasing, the fish never knowing when the fatal landing will come.

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer
Looking at this piece by George Kerevan (former Scottish Labour member(irony klaxon) but left in 1996(???)) you would think it’s a preemptive attempt to ensure the latest Labour leader can’t revive the fortunes of Labour north of the border. As the SNP are now the establishment in Scotland, even though they try and make everyone forget that inconvenient fact, and are now suffering from the effects of having been in power for so long, it appears they are still worried that Labour may make a comeback.

I have to say, since lockdown commenced, my daily intake of the News has reduced significantly. I no longer switch on the TV in the morning as my first IA when making a brew - because I know what I'm going to get. Doom and gloom, grandstanding journalists falling over themselves to trip up a Minister or Medical expert, mixed in with a dash of Princess Diana style schmaltz or the latest YouTube video of someone in the NHS melting down to camera*, or significantly worse, some bellend uploading a dance or song for the whole community to take part.

*Don't get me wrong, my admiration (and gratitude) to the NHS and it's workforce is right up there.
Thank you, you have saved me the time of typing how I feel about the News, and the distancing – as they say in the Court of Appeal, I concur m’lud

Not on duty? Really?

I was unaware that the virus had naafi breaks. Can you tell me when these are scheduled for and I will take the opportunity to nip to the shop's?

And because she wasn't on duty, does that mean her MMA claims will also be null and void?

Serious head on-

If by your assertion, she was off duty, that would then mean that someone was standing in for her in her absence does it not?

If someone is standing in for her, then they must be competent to do the job?

If this person is deemed competent enough, why did Nicola stand by Calderwood and say she was indespensible?

If she was off duty for 24 hrs, surely Nicola knew where she was and how to contact her?

Sorta knocks the 'trusted advisor' scenario on the head doesn't it?

Reports last night were that she resigned.
Nicola is on TV this morning saying initially that she had resigned followed 2 mins later by her saying she had no trust in her and that she got rid. Which is it, did she resign or was she pushed?
I have been impressed with the lady when I have seen her (occasionally) behind a microphone, but I’m afraid she became a classic of the kind: I am part of the elite, so the rules do not apply to me (even if I am making them…)

Latest Threads