Scottish Politics Thread

The advice on "Jury Service in the High Court and Sheriff Court" reads simply:

The selection of the jury

Once it is known that a trial is to start, the clerk of court will draw fifteen names at random from a glass bowl containing all the names of the jurors present. If your name is called out, you should come forward and take the seat you are directed to in the jury box.

Unless good reason is given, or an objection to the balloted juror is allowed, the first fifteen jurors balloted will make up the jury for the trial.

Scotland is not the United States!

Jack
His question still applies. How many people were cited for jury service at the High Court on that date, and how many actually turned up to go into the final draw?

His question still applies. How many people were cited for jury service at the High Court on that date, and how many actually turned up to go into the final draw?
Matters not a jot, if you don't have a genuine reason for not attending then you leave yourself open to a fine. When I was selected there were several who didn't turn up or notify the Court, it was made quite clear to the rest of us the non-attenders who had not seen fit to contact the Court Would be chased for reasons. Those that attended and had reasons to be excused if selected were stood down by the Court.

Jury service is a Duty as is politeness.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Moving away from Salmond for a while, I have a question which the Arrseratti may be able to answer, esp those actually in God's Country.

St Nic has been holding regular press conferences, echoing the COBRA announcements before they are made! However, I seem to have missed any statement by the Scottish Finance minister about the monies that are being spent in eye watering amounts.

It looks like the announcements made by the Chancellor of the Exchequer are UK wide but there must be elements that are devolved and % paid to devolved governments under the Barnet Formula. Has anyone seen/heard a statement from the Scottish government regard spend during the Covid-19 crisis? If so a link would be appreciated.

If no announcement,any ideas why the Scottish government are so shy? Saving the extra Dosh for an IndyRef maybe? I sincerely hope not.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Yes you clearly were trying to do that. If you cannot go back, reread your post and identify that very fact, then I suggest you definitely make sure your equality and diversity training is fully up to date.

A single sentence stating that they’d previously had consensual sexual contact with no further context or explanation is clearly implying that they were “fair game” for Alex Salmond. I suggest you take your blinkers off in this particular subject, the matter of his previous behaviour was definitely going to become open knowledge when the current FM instigated an investigation into the perceived sexual bullying culture in Scottish politics. This whole matter is not just worthy of further investigation or a parliamentary committee but indeed full criminal investigation. It’s clear that the matter goes much further into not only the Scottish Government but also the SNP. The only bright side for all parties involved, for any further investigation may result in criminal proceedings against people from both factions of the SNP, is that the longer the current coronavirus crisis drags on the less likely to seriously damage the SNP’s reputation.
My apologies, my post was brief as I was taking a short break from writing the different BLS protocols for our Urgent Dental Care Centres and our Dedicated Covid Urgent Dental Care Centres.

I acknowledge that my post did not explain my point of view clearly.

The man is obviously a serial adulterer and his behaviour has been abhorrent in terms of contact with his staff.

My apologies, my post was brief as I was taking a short break from writing the different BLS protocols for our Urgent Dental Care Centres and our Dedicated Covid Urgent Dental Care Centres.

I acknowledge that my post did not explain my point of view clearly.

The man is obviously a serial adulterer and his behaviour has been abhorrent in terms of contact with his staff.
And future leader of the SNP his ego would never allow him to take the NO2 spot

Moving away from Salmond for a while, I have a question which the Arrseratti may be able to answer, esp those actually in God's Country.

St Nic has been holding regular press conferences, echoing the COBRA announcements before they are made! However, I seem to have missed any statement by the Scottish Finance minister about the monies that are being spent in eye watering amounts.

It looks like the announcements made by the Chancellor of the Exchequer are UK wide but there must be elements that are devolved and % paid to devolved governments under the Barnet Formula. Has anyone seen/heard a statement from the Scottish government regard spend during the Covid-19 crisis? If so a link would be appreciated.

If no announcement,any ideas why the Scottish government are so shy? Saving the extra Dosh for an IndyRef maybe? I sincerely hope not.
i only gave you a laugh for your post not at you but at the very idea the SNP would have anyone in a govt office able to cope in a crisis! the only skill sets required are a fecking big chip on both shoulders, a hatred of the english and total incompetence! - a bit of unsolicited touchy feely, drink problems, larcency and noncing also seems to take them a fair way up the ranks as well:)

craven50

War Hero
Matters not a jot, if you don't have a genuine reason for not attending then you leave yourself open to a fine. When I was selected there were several who didn't turn up or notify the Court, it was made quite clear to the rest of us the non-attenders who had not seen fit to contact the Court Would be chased for reasons. Those that attended and had reasons to be excused if selected were stood down by the Court.

Jury service is a Duty as is politeness.
I might be In a unique position served twice on a jury and what an eye opener! One jurist could not read the oath nor fluent in English! :D

It was probably a Fifer
Of all the scottish accents over the years, the worst was a bod from a showman background. They dislike being called gypsies or tax dodgers or inbreds….The joy of explaining to it my elbow his nose resulted in silence.

Dredd

LE

Good question.

I expect that much of this is mainly a reserved matter, so there would be limited scope for the ScotGov to get involved at a practical level. This may be why they would appear slow or even reticent to talk about it at the moment.

But the key question is going to be - are there Barnett Consequentials on the back of this spending and if so, what are they planning to use it on? More money to the Local Authorities is most likely (once they have reserved some of the cash to spend on researching how to get independence, of course). It may be more about supporting a recovery rather than getting stuck into the current crisis.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Have at it, I say.

After all, it's been 4 months since the last implosion of a UK political party.
There will be another one starting tomorrow as the results of Labour's leadership election become known by the highheedyins, but not announced till Saturday so it is not given out on April Fools' Day! :).

Mick9abf

War Hero
Bluster or serious threat of a takeover of the SNP by Hardliners ?
Hopefully as comedy value aside I can only imagine that a takeover by serious hard liners will only reduce votes once the Moonhowlery begins in earnest by those less inclined, or indeed those who vote SNP for some freebies but would vote remain at a referendum (to make sure they still get them).

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer
Bluster or serious threat of a takeover of the SNP by Hardliners ?
The battle lines have already been drawn and skirmishes have been ongoing for months, the first clash was over Transgender rights and changes to legislation proposed by one faction (we’ll call them “Faction 1”, purely for ease of reference, logically it follows that the other one is referred to as “Faction 2”) and opposed by another, for various reasons. The sniping and small engagements have been limited so far, and most have now ceased due to the coronavirus crisis, although the Salmond trial was the first major engagement the fallout from it has again been muted by the current situation.

Faction 1, wants independence and a referendum this year and wants to persuade the majority that Scotland can be an independent country, led by Nicola Sturgeon it’s trying to maintain a campaign to increase support, supports Trans Rights. Currently this faction holds both the position of FM and head of the SNP.

Faction 2, wants independence now and it’s members are willing to countenance all methods, short of violence, to get it, although at the moment the leadership is committed to the referendum path. This faction is more connected to an emotional appeal to “Scottishness”, there are quite a few disturbing indications of “blood and soil” nationalism being widespread amongst this faction. Led by Alex Salmond, currently opposes Trans rights, believes that Faction 1 have betrayed “the cause of independence”. Although it has members in both Holyrood and Westminster SNP, it has as yet no identified members amongst the SNP leadership. Although a number of SNP “Grandees” have come out in open support of this faction.

The next battleground for the opposing Factions is the selection of the candidate for the position of MSP for Edinburgh Central. The two main candidates are Angus Robertson, from Faction 1, and Joanna Cherry from Faction 2, however it must be noted that Cherry may be harbouring her own ambitions to be both the successor to Sturgeon as FM but also lead the party. The situation is further muddied by the inclusion of prominent Independence/Yes supporters in the mix, the Reverend Stuart Campbell supports Faction 2 and has recently been extremely scathing of Sturgeon. Recently there has been “calls” for him to establish a new Independence supporting party to challenge the SNP in the next Holyrood election, whilst this may be seen as a potential vehicle to enable Salmond to enter mainstream politics if opposition within SNP is too much after the recent case, it may indicate preparation for a worst case scenario by Faction 2.

Obviously everything has currently been put on hold due to the current crisis as Sturgeon tries to manage the Scottish Government’s response and Salmond has been advised to self-isolate for three months due to a history of respiratory illness. What effect the crisis has on both factions is as yet unknown, what is clear at the moment unless an opposition that appears to offer a competent alternative to the SNP arises out of this crisis then the SNP are on track to remain in government in Holyrood. The only scenario in which they don’t is if the impending Civil War within the SNP completely sunders their support base and splits the party and vote. That may allow another party to try and form a minority government if it can agree with another party a suitable agreement such as the SNP’s agreement with the Tories in 2007. As the Chinese saying goes “ We are living in interesting times”.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Worst case scenario is the SNP get their referendum and independence then can't govern because they are spending too much time on internal feuding.

Not a good place for Scotland to be in. To do something as drastic as independence requires a strong Party to lead into the unsettling times following the first Scottish government taking office. Whichever Party takes us in needs to be strong, SNP at the moment are far from strong.

Worst case scenario is the SNP get their referendum and independence then can't govern because they are spending too much time on internal feuding.

Not a good place for Scotland to be in. To do something as drastic as independence requires a strong Party to lead into the unsettling times following the first Scottish government taking office. Whichever Party takes us in needs to be strong, SNP at the moment are far from strong.
They also need a sound economic plan. Something most existing countries won't have for quite some time, let alone a new one!

Latest Threads