Scottish Politics Thread

FHA

LE
I don’t know if anyone else had to sit through that Q & A session with the FM last night, but whilst trying to ignore it and read my latest book I did catch the mention of Hairmyres twice. It interested me as I used to go past it every day, I know people who work in it and people who use it and I had just got a text from a friend who has a family member working there. I know in the past it’s had a very poor reputation and has previously been criticised in the light of formal reviews. The fact that two separate questions on this were on the same hospital is it sheer coincidence or indications that all is not well in this location, and could it be an indication that all is not well with our NHS on a level that might be brutally uncovered by the current crisis? I must admit neither the current Health Minister or CMO are, in my opinion, figures that inspire confidence, in fact it is becoming painfully apparent that the CMO is completely out of her depth and is starting to take on the appearance of someone on the verge of a major breakdown. Watching her live appearances on the TV is becoming quite painful.
Upon telling my (paramedic) BiL a few months ago that I went to Hairmyres with a suspected stress fracture, the response was “good luck with that”.
It’s been on watch for ages now, long before this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And there in lies the problem as seen by the Scots, Irish & Welsh (not all but a significant number), legislation was written by a supposedly UK parliament (but in reality the vast majority of MPs & Lords were English) with no inkling of how legislation would be received in the extremities, i.e. P{oll Tax.

I'm not a fan of devolution, previous posts will attest to that, and I think it was very poorly thought out if indeed much thought was given to how it would work apart from the Labour Party attempting to cement itself as Scottish Royalty in perpetuity (didn't turn out so well did it), but if devolution is aborted, and I hope it eventually is, unless the far reaches of the UK are given a larger say in how the UK is governed then that too will have the UK turn on itself.

AY has previously championed a Federal UK, maybe it's now time to consider it.
tbh I don’t think most people in the far reaches actually care who governs them as long as it’s done well and nobody takes the piss in the govt - only the shouty dreamers winge about it but then again they would winge if they had nothing to winge about! What is clear is that devolution has just produced a political self licking lollipop of professional political stooges who have very little life experience eg mhairi black and can’t manage govt departments - I see no improvement in Scotland over the old system other than in the debt mountain and increased wastage of public funds and I now live in the highest taxed part of the UK to pay for it!

And there in lies the problem as seen by the Scots, Irish & Welsh (not all but a significant number), legislation was written by a supposedly UK parliament (but in reality the vast majority of MPs & Lords were English) with no inkling of how legislation would be received in the extremities, i.e. P{oll Tax.

I'm not a fan of devolution, previous posts will attest to that, and I think it was very poorly thought out if indeed much thought was given to how it would work apart from the Labour Party attempting to cement itself as Scottish Royalty in perpetuity (didn't turn out so well did it), but if devolution is aborted, and I hope it eventually is, unless the far reaches of the UK are given a larger say in how the UK is governed then that too will have the UK turn on itself.

AY has previously championed a Federal UK, maybe it's now time to consider it.
All of the MPs and Lords were British. What exactly would you suggest is a fairer way of providing representation, 25% of MPs from England, 25% from Scotland, 25% from Wales and 25% from NI?

SDFA

Old-Salt
All of the MPs and Lords were British. What exactly would you suggest is a fairer way of providing representation, 25% of MPs from England, 25% from Scotland, 25% from Wales and 25% from NI?
Yes, move on!

What would be fairer than that? Is this not the way that the much lauded EU works?

offog

LE
Further to my last.

Down in Raigmore the day doing training. As are many staff bringing us up to a level where we can all work on emergency wards or back up other specialities. For instance with me today are stoma nurses, cancer nurses, cardian rehab. All renewing skills such as venepuncture and cannulation, iv medication administration, the all new BLS.

We have cancelled all non urgent procedures for some time.

We are currently sitting at over a 100 beds free in Raigmore. And we are over staffed where it counts.
As things progress I can see either patients being farmed out to area that have no CV19 patients or NHS staff being posted to areas with lots of CV19 casualties. Within my are there are 3 patients for a hospital which could treat more. Not sure which would be the most effective use of resources and staff but I am sure some will protest either way.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Thanks @Fang_Farrier. Unless I have missed it, and I probably have because I wait for the 1700 announcements, this is the sort of information that should be given out. Not only does it inform, it provides reassurance that things are being done behind the scenes that we may not be aware of.

Out of interest, how much direction is coming from ScotGov or are the majority of decisions being clinician led, extra beds, resources etc.

I see today, someone has offered up the old Compaq factory in Greenock / Inverkip as a facility for extra beds. I do wonder if it will be taken up?
It's a mixture of both, whilst guidance is coming from the various Chiefs in Edinburgh (Chief Medical Officer, Dental, Nursing, Public Health).
We have a fair degree of independence in how we then implement it.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
As things progress I can see either patients being farmed out to area that have no CV19 patients or NHS staff being posted to areas with lots of CV19 casualties. Within my are there are 3 patients for a hospital which could treat more. Not sure which would be the most effective use of resources and staff but I am sure some will protest either way.
We have been warned that we may be asked to work out of usual geographical area but at present it is voluntary.

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer
One “upside” to quarantine means you have time to peruse those periodicals that you’ve seen but noted for reading later,but you never get round to. In such a spirit I revisited Holyrood, the in-house propaganda mouthpiece of the Scottish government, recently the Scottish education system was in the news until the current news took over the world and monopolised our life. In line with recent Stalinist rewriting of history there now seems to be an effort to recast the debate about our education system, is this the first effort at a revisionist view of our education system.

Maybe I’m just being over sensitive or going a bit stir crazy.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
These "important" people seem rather susceptible to Corvid! Compared to the plebs of society.
Probably just a sniffle but hey ho we are in it together.
Innit good being a cynical barsteward.
Last count forty dead in scotland alone..
Be interesting to see if there is a false positive on tests.
b'tw its pronounced b'stard where i come from as in lying thieving type

Different subject all together who to believe

giatttt

Old-Salt
In line with recent Stalinist rewriting of history there now seems to be an effort to recast the debate about our education system, is this the first effort at a revisionist view of our education system.

Maybe I’m just being over sensitive or going a bit stir crazy.
I have all of the O Grade exam papers I sat in 1976. Some of the questions in physics did not appear in my son's syllabus until first year university. [Thermodynamics if you are interested] During a clear out I found some notebooks from applied mechanics in S3, my son covered the same subjects in year two at university. [Calculating theoretical power for four stroke engines]

The questions have not got any easier, we just ask less of them.

Latest Threads