Scottish Politics Thread

It's another layer of management to navigate.

If she knew Scotland, it wouldn't be f*cked.
There are geographical nuances….we have islands that depend on ferries that depend on tesco co op and ehhh thats it. Granted oban has a M+S and lidls yet most small villages hamlets rely on that big truck with yorkies full of food.

Why? What are the significant differences that need accounted for where there would be a need to be different? Other than the ever-present all-consuming desperation to be seen to be different in absolutely everything we have and do? Why this constant demand to have a "Scottish" version of everything all the time?

It's a waste of money and time that could be better spent elsewhere. The Geordies and Scousers seem to be able to have a recognisable identity without having to have different logos and letterheads all the time.

Harrumph.

ETA - notwithstanding the post from Fang regarding the NHS set-ups. But they still managed that WITHOUT needing a different advisory body.
Believe or not nicola can get things done, with that tone of voice that alec salmond is wary of.
She speaks for scotland to scotland on what westminster can or cannot supply.

Better to look busy than sit on the pan shiteing her self skinny over the forthcoming prose of mr salmond. Make no mistake she can deal with him, she just doesn't want to tell him he is right.

SDFA

Old-Salt
The entire PPE supply chain is in chaos for a few reasons.
The majority of it was manufactured in the far east and they had shut down factories.
Also any stock they had they have with held for their own use.

The PPE crisis is international.

NHS Scotland have just had a million and a half masks recertified having technically been been out of date 2019.

We are struggling for PPE but have enough for day to day at present but are trying to conserve and build up stocks for when it does move North.

In Highland we are setting up 14 Assessment centres across the area. Smaller hospital and 2 treatment centres, wick and Inverness.
Thanks @Fang_Farrier. Unless I have missed it, and I probably have because I wait for the 1700 announcements, this is the sort of information that should be given out. Not only does it inform, it provides reassurance that things are being done behind the scenes that we may not be aware of.

Out of interest, how much direction is coming from ScotGov or are the majority of decisions being clinician led, extra beds, resources etc.

I see today, someone has offered up the old Compaq factory in Greenock / Inverkip as a facility for extra beds. I do wonder if it will be taken up?

SDFA

Old-Salt
Big stooshie about the UK not joining in with the EU in placing a big order for ventilators. The reality is that UK manufacturers have got together and will start manufacture of an existing product on Monday, at cost price to the our NHS. Dyson is awaiting approval on his portable version, otherwise ready to rock and roll.
I was having (well trying to) a discussion with a cult member yesterday about this very issue.
Started with slagging off 'Johnson' refusing to join with, EU procurement.

It went well for 1 post, then I asked the question about what wee Jeanie was doing as SNHS is devolved, had she joined with the EU, was she placing additional orders 5 weeks ago?

Ever so predictably, his 4 zombie mates joined in (do they have each other on speed dial?) and within seconds it turned into a 'yoon', 'stupid', 'don't know what you're talking about' fest, finished off with a veiled threat to inform all and sundry (fellow cult supporters) not to engage with me.
Ahh well, guess that's me on the list then!

4 weeks to go till I GTF outta here!

Dredd

LE
Compensate what?

There should be an identical number of constituents for each MP.

These glorified county council's are just talking shops for anything of importance, no actual power.

That and bitching about the large amounts of cash that they can spunk.
Oh, they have the power. But they would prefer if we don't draw attention to that or worse, subject it to any form of scrutiny.

That's the Central Belt sorted, what do the tcheucters do?
We're all too busy trying to learn Gaelic so we can understand the roadsigns, no time for TV.

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer
I don’t know if anyone else had to sit through that Q & A session with the FM last night, but whilst trying to ignore it and read my latest book I did catch the mention of Hairmyres twice. It interested me as I used to go past it every day, I know people who work in it and people who use it and I had just got a text from a friend who has a family member working there. I know in the past it’s had a very poor reputation and has previously been criticised in the light of formal reviews. The fact that two separate questions on this were on the same hospital is it sheer coincidence or indications that all is not well in this location, and could it be an indication that all is not well with our NHS on a level that might be brutally uncovered by the current crisis? I must admit neither the current Health Minister or CMO are, in my opinion, figures that inspire confidence, in fact it is becoming painfully apparent that the CMO is completely out of her depth and is starting to take on the appearance of someone on the verge of a major breakdown. Watching her live appearances on the TV is becoming quite painful.

SDFA

Old-Salt
Apologies for the bulk upload, I'm waiting for my steam driven laptop to apply Win7 SP1 pack!

I saw this picture the other day, Mon I think, when she started giving out briefings. Dillusions of grandeur immediately sprung to mind, the use of Gaelic 'Priomh' minister especially.

Out of interest I google translated it and it autodetected as 'Irish Gaelic'! Freudian slip there methinks

On Tues I noticed that she, and her cohorts, now stand behind either blank or Scot Gov podiums.

She really does make my teeth itch!!

b25lY21zOmY0MGMyN2IyLTNiZDktNGRmMy1hYWIxLTQ2OGY5Yjg0ZWVhZTpjNGFlZmFlNy1kZWRkLTRkYjQtODZlNS0zOT...jpg

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
your sense of direction is a wee bit off…..understandable if he was at the castle of mey

For those dependant on ferries….

New rules to allow drivers to stay with vehicles on ferries
Drivers will be able to stay with their vehicles on ferries, the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) has announced.
The change is designed to help prevent the spread of coronavirus.
The temporary relaxation of safety rules applies to freight drivers on all roll on/roll off ships and car passengers on domestic vessels.
It will be up to individual ferry operators to apply to the MCA in order to make the changes.
48 miles Balmoral to Inverness, 43 miles Balmoral to Aberdeen, so not a lot in it!

Why? What do you mean by "compensate"? That suggests you are somehow missing out.

The Wee Hoose is just a transference of the ability to creat Scotland-only legislation which the proper Parliament was doing since the Union was formed.

Everything should be considered as UK-wide unless there is a specific need otherwise, not the other way around. If that IS what you want, then it should be a Federal system.
And there in lies the problem as seen by the Scots, Irish & Welsh (not all but a significant number), legislation was written by a supposedly UK parliament (but in reality the vast majority of MPs & Lords were English) with no inkling of how legislation would be received in the extremities, i.e. P{oll Tax.

I'm not a fan of devolution, previous posts will attest to that, and I think it was very poorly thought out if indeed much thought was given to how it would work apart from the Labour Party attempting to cement itself as Scottish Royalty in perpetuity (didn't turn out so well did it), but if devolution is aborted, and I hope it eventually is, unless the far reaches of the UK are given a larger say in how the UK is governed then that too will have the UK turn on itself.

AY has previously championed a Federal UK, maybe it's now time to consider it.

For those dependant on ferries….

New rules to allow drivers to stay with vehicles on ferries
Drivers will be able to stay with their vehicles on ferries, the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) has announced.
The change is designed to help prevent the spread of coronavirus.
The temporary relaxation of safety rules applies to freight drivers on all roll on/roll off ships and car passengers on domestic vessels.
It will be up to individual ferry operators to apply to the MCA in order to make the changes.
This was changed for the Isle of Wight ferries early in the week. One ferry everyone has to stay in their vehicles (no loo trips) while the other (the new hybrid electric/diesel which seems to be giving so many problems to a certain Scottish shipyard) they can still get out of their vehicles (it's much more spacious). The fast catamarans (passengers only) running as usual but more space between seats.

Apologies for the bulk upload, I'm waiting for my steam driven laptop to apply Win7 SP1 pack!

I saw this picture the other day, Mon I think, when she started giving out briefings. Dillusions of grandeur immediately sprung to mind, the use of Gaelic 'Priomh' minister especially.

Out of interest I google translated it and it autodetected as 'Irish Gaelic'! Freudian slip there methinks

On Tues I noticed that she, and her cohorts, now stand behind either blank or Scot Gov podiums.

She really does make my teeth itch!!

View attachment 460251
Hate to burst your bubble Auld bhoy, as the legally elected first minister she gets to take over if anything happens to the prime minister. It’s all there in sub section f paragraph 45 that was part of the 2014 deal

If you believe that she now has keys to the V boats then we’re all fecked

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Being the First Minister she knows the ins and outs of Scotland a wee bit better than Westminster, granted she now has TAC HQ of the dog eaters to assist her in planning.
Nic is thoroughly enjoying this Coronavirus outbreak as it takes the heat off her failure to run Scotland properly instead of in to the ground. She comes on the TV to make pronouncements as though they are hers - instead they are what was agreed at the Cobra meeting and she is just getting in first. As I said before she is helped by the fact the UK government press conf is not until 5pm so she can 'look good' with her advice to the nation! She does not have the intellectual ability or competence to come up with half of what is happening.

Still, she will soon have Wee Eck's book to take to bed at night and smooth her to sleep!

Nic is thoroughly enjoying this Coronavirus outbreak as it takes the heat off her failure to run Scotland properly instead of in to the ground. She comes on the TV to make pronouncements as though they are hers - instead they are what was agreed at the Cobra meeting and she is just getting in first. As I said before she is helped by the fact the UK government press conf is not until 5pm so she can 'look good' with her advice to the nation! She does not have the intellectual ability or competence to come up with half of what is happening.

Still, she will soon have Wee Eck's book to take to bed at night and smooth her to sleep!
see post 49,541

Big stooshie about the UK not joining in with the EU in placing a big order for ventilators. The reality is that UK manufacturers have got together and will start manufacture of an existing product on Monday, at cost price to the our NHS. Dyson is awaiting approval on his portable version, otherwise ready to rock and roll.

Pretty much echo's my thoughts UK has been ahead of the curve here in sourcing and producing the extra capacity required
The EU has only now began to react by offering what is basically collective bargaining with existing producers.

SDFA

Old-Salt
Hate to burst your bubble Auld bhoy, as the legally elected first minister she gets to take over if anything happens to the prime minister. It’s all there in sub section f paragraph 45 that was part of the 2014 deal

If you believe that she now has keys to the V boats then we’re all fecked
To be honest, id rather have the Abbott as PM!

And there in lies the problem as seen by the Scots, Irish & Welsh (not all but a significant number), legislation was written by a supposedly UK parliament (but in reality the vast majority of MPs & Lords were English) with no inkling of how legislation would be received in the extremities, i.e. P{oll Tax.

I'm not a fan of devolution, previous posts will attest to that, and I think it was very poorly thought out if indeed much thought was given to how it would work apart from the Labour Party attempting to cement itself as Scottish Royalty in perpetuity (didn't turn out so well did it), but if devolution is aborted, and I hope it eventually is, unless the far reaches of the UK are given a larger say in how the UK is governed then that too will have the UK turn on itself.

AY has previously championed a Federal UK, maybe it's now time to consider it.
Ironically Federalism of Devo max was offered as option in the referendum in the run up to 2014 Eck and Nippy turned it down

Latest Threads