Scottish Politics Thread

It may have passed ARRSErs by, Police Scotland, not prepared to wait for emergency powers, used existing legislation to close rebellious boozers.

Although it appears that one of his deputies took the initiative, Chief Constable Iain Livingstone QPM added: “I am fully supportive of the enforcement action taken today which is entirely proportionate to the threat posed to the safety of Scotland’s communities."

“I have a clear, positive duty to both protect life and improve the safety and wellbeing of people across Scotland, while supporting the government and health agencies in our fight against this pandemic.”

Good call Chief.
Under current policy no Polis vehicle left with evidence of any alcohol onboard

Mick9abf

War Hero
Jim Sillars predicting a rumpus that will lead to few top heads in the snp rolling and views the whole episode as being a major but not fatal setback for independence
Please tell me he pronounced this from the side of his adapted ice cream van (or whatever it was) with the sainted Mhairi Black at the wheel :smile::grin:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Our son works in one of his departments.
He's a thoroughly decent chap & well respected.
Was at a VIP day recently for a Pass Out.
350 new cops starting for basic training.
We'll see how long that lasts though.
Who knows what the potential sickie rate may be.
Given that they have closed most of the custody suites due to the virus, I am given to understand that most crimes short of murder will see little more than a warning at the current moment.

Given that they have closed most of the custody suites due to the virus, I am given to understand that most crimes short of murder will see little more than a warning at the current moment.
The reported theft from the Inverness care home should be the tester on how busy Pols Inverness are

Mick9abf

War Hero
Our son works in one of his departments.
He's a thoroughly decent chap & well respected.
Was at a VIP day recently for a Pass Out.
350 new cops starting for basic training.
We'll see how long that lasts though.
Who knows what the potential sickie rate may be.
With the timing of Covid-19 the SNP have, by chance, dodged yet another bullet regarding Police numbers which Ian Livingston had to fight to keep, solely on the basis of COP20 being pencilled in for later in the year (subject to change now I’d expect).

Let’s not forget that the SG (SNP) having always said Police numbers would never be cut had proposed an extra 350-400, off the top of my head, on top of a similar amount from the previous year which went through natural wastage to save money in the 2020 financial year.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The reported theft from the Inverness care home should be the tester on how busy Pols Inverness are
Care homes. The bastards robbed 3 care homes, one after the other.

Jonnynoname

Old-Salt
With the timing of Covid-19 the SNP have, by chance, dodged yet another bullet regarding Police numbers which Ian Livingston had to fight to keep, solely on the basis of COP20 being pencilled in for later in the year (subject to change now I’d expect).

Let’s not forget that the SG (SNP) having always said Police numbers would never be cut had proposed an extra 350-400, off the top of my head, on top of a similar amount from the previous year which went through natural wastage to save money in the 2020 financial year.
please don´t use that phrase "natural wastage" you sound like a top brass Dick culling the troops in the early 90s.

Mick9abf

War Hero
please don´t use that phrase "natural wastage" you sound like a top brass Dick culling the troops in the early 90s.
That’s what retirals, resignations etc are. It’s completely different from redundancies in which case I would say redundancies, either way if they aren’t replaced it is a way to reduce numbers, tough shit if it offends you.

Jonnynoname

Old-Salt
That’s what retirals, resignations etc are. It’s completely different from redundancies in which case I would say redundancies, either way if they aren’t replaced it is a way to reduce numbers, tough shit if it offends you.
Just pointing out you're a dick
Hope this helps

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
True.
However, given the streets are pretty deserted, so called petty crimes that keep the courts rammed should drop through the floor given they cannot hide any longer in plain sight, and most homes are occupied. I expect the drug scene will find ways around this...little postal deliveries at 3 am etc. I've certainly noticed an absence of a few local "worthies" this week.

Mick9abf

War Hero
True.
However, given the streets are pretty deserted, so called petty crimes that keep the courts rammed should drop through the floor given they cannot hide any longer in plain sight, and most homes are occupied. I expect the drug scene will find ways around this...little postal deliveries at 3 am etc. I've certainly noticed an absence of a few local "worthies" this week.
I’m sure while you struggle to get a bag of pasta from any of the main retailers drug users will have no such problem obtaining a bag of smack.

More interesting will be how the bottom feeders fund their habits now that the shops are shut or quieter than normal with no doubt increased security presence for staff safety.

While businesses are empty I’m sure a lot of them will be tanned but as desperation sets in I expect the amount of street robberies to increase and maybe even the odd stouthrief/hamesucken (if they still get used) may become more popular amongst the druggies. With a bit of luck they’ll try the wrong house to give entertainment for all.....

I’m sure while you struggle to get a bag of pasta from any of the main retailers drug users will have no such problem obtaining a bag of smack.

More interesting will be how the bottom feeders fund their habits now that the shops are shut or quieter than normal with no doubt increased security presence for staff safety.

While businesses are empty I’m sure a lot of them will be tanned but as desperation sets in I expect the amount of street robberies to increase and maybe even the odd stouthrief/hamesucken (if they still get used) may become more popular amongst the druggies. With a bit of luck they’ll try the wrong house to give entertainment for all.....
Pretty much a copy/paste of my own thoughts.

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer
Alex Bell, a witness for the defence, in the recent Salmond trial, has just written the most exquisite political character assassination I’ve ever read. It foretells great trouble for the SNP/SG in the immediate aftermath of the current crisis (as long as the main protagonist survives, didn’t know he’s got underlying medical issues) with the return of Alex Salmond as he seeks vengeance against those he thinks “wronged” him. I would provide a link to it but my WiFi is playing up. I know that it’s slightly far fetched but in an extreme scenario could we see a serious split in the SNP as the internal opposing cliques coalesce around Sturgeon and Salmond and the potential for a new independence supporting party? Our most revered clergyman has previously mooted a new party, we know he’s got a support base that are willing to fund him, Salmond also has a support base out with the party and has previously managed to secure funding, in such a scenario they could potentially start a new party, without the millstone of an openly nationalist name. Interesting times ahead for the SNP potentially, time will tell whether Salmond decides he wants revenge, maybe some of our amateur psychologists/psychiatrists would like to give us our thoughts on Salmond’s character?

Alex Bell, a witness for the defence, in the recent Salmond trial, has just written the most exquisite political character assassination I’ve ever read. It foretells great trouble for the SNP/SG in the immediate aftermath of the current crisis (as long as the main protagonist survives, didn’t know he’s got underlying medical issues) with the return of Alex Salmond as he seeks vengeance against those he thinks “wronged” him. I would provide a link to it but my WiFi is playing up. I know that it’s slightly far fetched but in an extreme scenario could we see a serious split in the SNP as the internal opposing cliques coalesce around Sturgeon and Salmond and the potential for a new independence supporting party? Our most revered clergyman has previously mooted a new party, we know he’s got a support base that are willing to fund him, Salmond also has a support base out with the party and has previously managed to secure funding, in such a scenario they could potentially start a new party, without the millstone of an openly nationalist name. Interesting times ahead for the SNP potentially, time will tell whether Salmond decides he wants revenge, maybe some of our amateur psychologists/psychiatrists would like to give us our thoughts on Salmond’s character?
In regard his character it is really quite simple
He wants to be right, he wants everyone to know he is right. Most importantly, he wants the senior civil servant in Scotland to tell him he is right
If I was Miss Evans I would release the evidence proving that Mr Salmond is wrong
If any evidence existed after his recent success at being right

Latest Threads