Scottish Politics Thread

Mick9abf

War Hero
I can't see independance being on the table for a couple of years. There won't be the finances or the will for a long time after this madness has ended. Sturgeon is doing a pretty good impression of a first minister at the moment (although all the initiatives are coming from Westmonster) however if she starts banging the freedom drum too soon after the crisis, she may find that the vast majority just want to rebuild their lives and pay off their debts.
I had heard that party finances through donors were not as high as they once were, coincidentally it followed the death of a Euromillions winner but maybe others are seeing the light.

Sturgeon must run out of every meeting involving the U.K. gov regarding Covid-19 to get in front of a camera first and ‘take the initiative’ in the fight - alas the media cottoned on pretty quick. Think it was a BBC reporter that covered something recently and said words to the effect of she’s saying what BoJo will announce in his official agreed slot at whatever time.

Wee Eck might have a bit of a climb to get his seat in Gordon back. Maybe he'll try as an MSP in May next year, if the SNP allow him back in.

Oil prices have not been above $70 for about two years and now sitting at about $30 a barrel....... only about $100 less than the projections of the said paper. Whisky - US duty increased due to fall outs with the EU regarding trade.... etc, etc.
And slated to drop as low as $10 a barrel with the current world slow down in demand......

Don’t return the ‘soap on a rope’ just yet Eck!!
Rinse & Repeat.
CPS/PF will have the same issues as before of a lack of corroborating witnesses.
Another round of "Oh no I did'nt....Oh yes you did". " Ok..prove it beyond reasonable doubt" like a game of courtroom ping pong and unless, beyond any shadow of a doubt something/s pops up worth pursuing in the public interest, it'll all fade away. Unless, someone jail risks by perjury.

Let's not forget, the jury who saw him out the door contained 8 women and they still junked the Prosecution evidences as unsafe, only pinning one Not Proven which Jackson would have bent over backwards to avoid is it is pretty much "Guilty but would be an unsafe conviction...open to expensive Appeals.". Judges do not like these one bit.

I'm sure the Jury would have been happier to nail him if the evidences proved irrefutable, but the means to that end were a country mile off delivering safe convictions. I bet they were a bit frustrated, but that's justice. Perhaps guilty of some of the allegations ( by his own words alluded "not nice but not criminal either") but not caught in the alleged acts. Every day scrotes walk out of Court for the same reasons.
Seen it all...having work in a Defense practice for many years prepping the worst kind of trial files with rent-a Queen's Council in the mid 80's to late 90's.

Last edited:

Mick9abf

War Hero
Rinse & Repeat.
CPS/PF will have the same issues as before of a lack of corroborating witnesses.
Another round of "Oh no I did'nt....Oh yes you did". " Ok..prove it beyond reasonable doubt" like a game of courtroom ping pong and unless, beyond any shadow of a doubt something/s pops up worth pursuing in the public interest, it'll all fade away. Unless, someone risks perjury.
Let's not forget, the jury who saw him out the door contained 8 women and they still junked the Prosecution evidences as unsafe, only pinning one Not Proven which Jackson would have bent over backwards to avoid is it is pretty much "Guilty but unsafe". I'm sure the Jury would have been happier to nail him if the evidences proved irrefutable, but the means to that end were a country mile off safe convictions. I bet they were a bit frustrated, but that's justice....probably guilty of some of it, but not caught in the act.
I wonder if any civil cases will be pursued based on the lower burden of proof.

I wonder if any civil cases will be pursued based on the lower burden of proof.
Possibly.
If A) the PF & SLAB sanction the case resources (huge---eye-watering) & time, not to mention if SLAB after means testing are ok with chipping in.

B) If the pursuer/s have the financial clout to see it through..with all the risks of losing.
Only the brave,/well healed/ Crowd Funded. ;)

Mick9abf

War Hero
Possibly.
If A) the PF & SLAB sanction the case resources (huge---eye-watering) & time, not to mention if SLAB after means testing are ok with chipping in.

B) If the pursuer/s have the financial clout to see it through..with all the risks of losing.
Only the brave,/well healed/ Crowd Funded. ;)
Crowd funded you say...........:-D

doc80905

War Hero
Sturgeon is doing a pretty good impression of a first minister at the moment (although all the initiatives are coming from Westmonster)
I hate to say it but she's actually handling things pretty competently just now. God help us if the likes of Cherry, Salmond, Angus Macneil etc were in charge at the moment,

I hate to say it but she's actually handling things pretty competently just now. God help us if the likes of Cherry, Salmond, Angus Macneil etc were in charge at the moment,
What is to handle, please state where she has accomplished anything differently to westminster?

What is to handle, please state where she has accomplished anything differently to westminster?
Getting volunteers to help ferry stuff around, deliver medicine & supplies to the old and vulnerable, patient transport. Oh wait, no she's way behind westmonster.

doc80905

War Hero
Well yesterday she gave much better guidance, particularly advice for employers, regarding who should actually be travelling to work at the moment. Particularly regarding the construction sector. Don't get me wrong, I hate the woman, but BJ's original wording on who should go to work changed three times from his statement and is still pretty ambiguous.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The delivery of the message has been precise and clear.

Obviously where that message comes from, is another matter.

Seadog

ADC
It may have passed ARRSErs by, Police Scotland, not prepared to wait for emergency powers, used existing legislation to close rebellious boozers.

Although it appears that one of his deputies took the initiative, Chief Constable Iain Livingstone QPM added: “I am fully supportive of the enforcement action taken today which is entirely proportionate to the threat posed to the safety of Scotland’s communities."

“I have a clear, positive duty to both protect life and improve the safety and wellbeing of people across Scotland, while supporting the government and health agencies in our fight against this pandemic.”

Good call Chief.

Jim Sillars predicting a rumpus that will lead to few top heads in the snp rolling and views the whole episode as being a major but not fatal setback for independence

Jim Sillars predicting a rumpus that will lead to few top heads in the snp rolling and views the whole episode as being a major but not fatal setback for independence
The fatal setback for independence was the referendum.

It may have passed ARRSErs by, Police Scotland, not prepared to wait for emergency powers, used existing legislation to close rebellious boozers.

Although it appears that one of his deputies took the initiative, Chief Constable Iain Livingstone QPM added: “I am fully supportive of the enforcement action taken today which is entirely proportionate to the threat posed to the safety of Scotland’s communities."

“I have a clear, positive duty to both protect life and improve the safety and wellbeing of people across Scotland, while supporting the government and health agencies in our fight against this pandemic.”

Good call Chief.
Our son works in one of his departments.
He's a thoroughly decent chap & well respected.
Was at a VIP day recently for a Pass Out.
350 new cops starting for basic training.
We'll see how long that lasts though.
Who knows what the potential sickie rate may be.

Latest Threads