Scottish Politics Thread

SDFA

Old-Salt
Loved the idea that under 25's brains are not sufficiently mature to be able to be jailed. Which party was saying that 16 year olds should be able to vote? Which party does Mhairi Black (MP at 21) belong to? She said she had big problems adapting to the HoC and Londonistan, looks to me like she would have a problem sitting down at a table and eating her dinner off a plate with a knife and fork.
The 'Ned' appearance and her over exaggerated Paisley patter are all an act for her crowd. She's actually from Raaaaalston, dontcha know.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Good to see plans are up and running but if you haven't got a car you can always catch the No 39 bus :grin:

The worst case predictions of Covid 19 are quite poor, up to 40% if population infected, possibly uo to 25% of health care workers off at one time.

About the same as for previous pandemics, bird, flu, swine flu, SARS, MERS.

And I thought I was done with NBC suits! But it appears that we will be back in them shortly.

The worst case predictions of Covid 19 are quite poor, up to 40% if population infected, possibly uo to 25% of health care workers off at one time.

About the same as for previous pandemics, bird, flu, swine flu, SARS, MERS.

And I thought I was done with NBC suits! But it appears that we will be back in them shortly.
I've seen nothing yet that indicates Covid 19 has a worse effect than a bad dose of (genuine) flu. Am I missing something or is this a panic pandemic?

I've seen nothing yet that indicates Covid 19 has a worse effect than a bad dose of (genuine) flu. Am I missing something or is this a panic pandemic?
Don't panic! Don't panic! Don't panic! Waaayyy too much fuss, no mention of the at least 8-10,000 that die every year in UK of normal flu and zero deaths in UK yet with this version.

Don't panic! Don't panic! Don't panic! Waaayyy too much fuss, no mention of the at least 8-10,000 that die every year in UK of normal flu and zero deaths in UK yet with this version.
Could you and Dun n Dusted forward your posts to the main stream media please? Thanks.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Well there has been some superb profiteering on behalf of the manufacturers of things such as face masks!

Although just to show that the NHS is not one UK entity, we actually have different health advice North and South of the border.

interesting story here:

Nicola Sturgeon blow: Scottish voters being ‘cheated’ with ‘warped’ SNP votes polling guru

i dont believe in proportional representation because you normally dont get a govt that is empowered to make decisions without bribery but the statistic of the SNPee getting 80% of all the Scotish MP seats for only 45% of the total vote count truly underlines the fact that there is zero change in opinion in scotland since the indyref and that peak stupid has been reached with no hope in sight for snp independence

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
interesting story here:

Nicola Sturgeon blow: Scottish voters being ‘cheated’ with ‘warped’ SNP votes polling guru

i dont believe in proportional representation because you normally dont get a govt that is empowered to make decisions without bribery but the statistic of the SNPee getting 80% of all the Scotish MP seats for only 45% of the total vote count truly underlines the fact that there is zero change in opinion in scotland since the indyref and that peak stupid has been reached with no hope in sight for snp independence
It is the same FPTP system which gave PMBJ 56% of the seats and thus an overwhelming mandate for his policies on only 43% of the vote.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Ooo look Whataboutery!
So it's ok to highlight that the SNP get a disproportionate number of seats for a percentage of votes but not other parties?

So it's ok to highlight that the SNP get a disproportionate number of seats for a percentage of votes but not other parties?
Ah but what you failed to mention was the difference in %s

for Boris it was a 13% difference
for the cult it was 35%

which in electoral terms is an enormous difference! And you say you don’t support the SNP, Aye right!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Ah but what you failed to mention was the difference in %s

for Boris it was a 13% difference
for the cult it was 35%

which in electoral terms is an enormous difference! And you say you don’t support the SNP, Aye right!
He is quite entitled to support the SNP if he wants to.

It goes back to the old saying by George Canning "I can prove anything by statistics, except the truth."

He is quite entitled to support the SNP if he wants to.

It goes back to the old saying by George Canning "I can prove anything by statistics, except the truth."
Yes he is but in the past Fang has said he is not a disciple of the cult and his comment was the best example of Whataboutery I have seen for ages. No attempt to address the alleged failings of our electoral system, originally designed to ensure no party would have an overall majority, it was just a “O look over there”.

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer
I find the argument about mandates and percentages tiresome, whilst the SNP trumpet their 45% compared to BoJo’s 43% they do fail to highlight that it’s against completely different population figures. Their 45% is from the Scottish electorate and his 43% is from the UK electorate as a whole, completely different figures and measures.
While I must say it’s totally up to everyone who they support or don’t support, calling people out for your perceived opinion of their political viewpoint is neither big nor clever, especially as we claim to be a democracy. That “we” refers to the UK, not ARRSE, as we know we’re a brutal dictatorship toiling under the yoke of oppression of those cursed moderators (totally tongue in cheek there, just in case you can’t recognise sarcasm at short range).

Yes he is but in the past Fang has said he is not a disciple of the cult and his comment was the best example of Whataboutery I have seen for ages. No attempt to address the alleged failings of our electoral system, originally designed to ensure no party would have an overall majority, it was just a “O look over there”.
Fang occasionally delves into whataboutary, as do most of us, but Lib Dem appears to be a more likely political fit than SNP.

Fang doesn't have to address anything, none of us currently has any say in it or the future of it. That the electoral system in Scotland has failed in it's original intent is well known and has been remarked upon previously and many times, but lets face it, if it benefits a particular Party that just happens to be in government then nothings going to change is it?

offog

LE
30k for year 17/18.

I'm wondering how the 49 will vote on the 18th of March backing Jonny Mercer's bill, I'm not holding my breath considering that Blackford's been chumming up with SF etc. Those that vote against it should be made in no uncertain terms by the RBL etc that their presence on Armed forces day/Remembrance Sunday's etc will not be welcomed or entertained.

Latest Threads