Scottish Politics Thread

When will they find the guilty bastard guilty?
In due course as they say.
If...the jury is provided more than just circumstantially weighted "evidence" & the PF produces enough solid 3rd party witnesses. Or not.
Don't forget today's merry-go-round was in part to double check in front of a judge that both sides had solid evidence based arguments in the broad interests of all involved...not to mention squandering public purse.

Dredd

LE
There will need to be witnesses to the groping etc. otherwise it's simply he said/she said. I don't have a warm, cosy glow that there is sufficient evidence to hang anything on Wee Eck. He might be scoring yet another massive pay out from the SG.
Don't see what this one has to do with the SG. This is a criminal prosecution on behalf of Her Majesty, not a civil matter (from what I could glean from the article). He is not being sued, he is being accused of criminal activity contrary to statute.

The reason SG had to give him beer tokens previously was because the complaint process was mush and / or poorly handled so the civil case was found against them and he was given compensation as a consequence - much to his delight and Wee Nippy's shame, even if he then claimed he would put the cash towards some Independence cause or similar right-on gesture, as if that absolved him. He gleefully stated he had been vindicated but really he had not faced the actual accusation, it was poor drills that let him off. It was like discharging a weapon into someones chest and then claiming that because it turned out the casing of the fired round was marked incorrectly that there was no blame to be laid on the firer.

Don't see what this one has to do with the SG. This is a criminal prosecution on behalf of Her Majesty, not a civil matter (from what I could glean from the article). He is not being sued, he is being accused of criminal activity contrary to statute.

The reason SG had to give him beer tokens previously was because the complaint process was mush and / or poorly handled so the civil case was found against them and he was given compensation as a consequence - much to his delight and Wee Nippy's shame, even if he then claimed he would put the cash towards some Independence cause or similar right-on gesture, as if that absolved him. He gleefully stated he had been vindicated but really he had not faced the actual accusation, it was poor drills that let him off. It was like discharging a weapon into someones chest and then claiming that because it turned out the casing of the fired round was marked incorrectly that there was no blame to be laid on the firer.
Thanks for the clarification. I hate to think of him him getting his grubby mitts on more taxpayers cash.

There will need to be witnesses to the groping etc. otherwise it's simply he said/she said. I don't have a warm, cosy glow that there is sufficient evidence to hang anything on Wee Eck. He might be scoring yet another massive pay out from the SG.
Suggest you read the thread on here about the RMP officer being sent down for 18mths for a similar charge and it appears her word against his.

Pretty sure this case would have undergone a detailed evaluation on likely hood of conviction, prior to pressing ahead with it. Then again as a non legal eagle, WTF would I know?

Perhaps we could reach out to John G, no, wait........

SDFA

Old-Salt
  • Sexually assaulted a woman at Bute House in October 2013 by removing her foot from her shoe, stroking her foot, lifting her foot towards his mouth and attempting to kiss her foot
I'm having my dinner, read this quote and immediately had the vision in my head of nippy's feet hovering near jabbas mouth.

The dogs chuffed to bits, he's just had the best half of a steak pie!

Minging!

Suggest you read the thread on here about the RMP officer being sent down for 18mths for a similar charge and it appears her word against his.
A distinctive (but recently controversial) principle of Scottish criminal law is the requirement for corroboration. i.e. "there must first be at least one source of evidence (i.e. the testimony of one witness) that points to the guilt of the accused as the perpetrator of the crime. That evidence may be direct or circumstantial. Secondly, each "essential" or "crucial" fact, requiring to be proved, must be corroborated by other direct or circumstantial evidence (i.e. the testimony of at least one other witness)." [Source: Carloway report.] But see also the Moorov doctrine mentioned above by @Mick9abf .

Last edited:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Was just about to mention corroboration in Scottish Law but My Learned Colleague got in first.

With everyone distracted by salmondgate..
A problem of cash for visit scotland to help

With the Maid of the Loch almost there, the Waverley boiler fund shows that public support with good PR can help locally,,,,

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The Procurator must think he (or she) has a fighting chance of a conviction, all the same.
Or hoping for a conviction on one out of the many

The case collapsed the moment they(Salmonds legal Team) cited Sturgeons Staff as witness clever move I dare say we can look forward to lots more of the same in the trial looming.

Interesting.
Just as the weakening of the European Union was in the interest of Moscow, so is the weakening of the United Kingdom:

Latest Threads