Scottish Politics Thread

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Meanwhile, despite being robustly rebuffed by BoJo, Wee Nippy does "same old, same old".

Nicola Sturgeon has ordered her civil servants to continue compiling "White Paper Two" on Scottish independence despite Boris Johnson refusing her request for another referendum. The Telegraph can disclose that Scottish Government officials have started preparing an updated prospectus for a separate Scotland, to dovetail with the referendum the First Minister wants to stage later this year.
Followed by the predictable Tory response.
But Adam Tomkins, the Scottish Tories' Shadow Constitution Minister, said: "This is all focus that should be going into improving schools, hospitals and the economy.
This on now the problem Wee Nippy has - instead of ignoring her like May did, the BoJo led government is focusing attention where the SNP don't want it - their record in office. It takes time to change people minds, but I suspect a drip drip drip of "look what a mess the SNP is making of running Scotland" will have a slowly cumulative effect.

Wordsmith

Seadog

ADC
The last bit - as a line from one of the best films ever made said - Nice one Centurion.

View attachment 445191
Professor (Emeritus) Stephenson regularly gets Nats piling aboard the outrage bus. She once called Mhairi Black ‘a slut’ and not knowing the other meaning of ‘slut’ in context, it was standing room only on the NatBus. Some demanded that the University of Edinburgh sack the Professor. It had to be explained that the ‘Emeritus’ bit means she’s retired.

Too poor, too wee, too stupid.

Meanwhile, despite being robustly rebuffed by BoJo, Wee Nippy does "same old, same old".

Followed by the predictable Tory response.

This on now the problem Wee Nippy has - instead of ignoring her like May did, the BoJo led government is focusing attention where the SNP don't want it - their record in office. It takes time to change people minds, but I suspect a drip drip drip of "look what a mess the SNP is making of running Scotland" will have a slowly cumulative effect.

Wordsmith
And this is what the opposition parties need to do next year. Don't start their usual pish about "The parties that can stop independence!". Ignore independence and work on the fact that they can be the parties to restore education, health, council funding, lower taxes, police numbers.....everything that the SNP has ignored.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
And this is what the opposition parties need to do next year. Don't start their usual pish about "The parties that can stop independence!". Ignore independence and work on the fact that they can be the parties to restore education, health, council funding, lower taxes, police numbers.....everything that the SNP has ignored.
They need to realise that if they focus on the SNP's record in office anyway, they can stop the constant demands for independence. If's difficult to put incessant demands for IndyRef2 when you've been relegated to being the opposition at Holyrood in May 2021.

Wordsmith

They need to realise that if they focus on the SNP's record in office anyway, they can stop the constant demands for independence. If's difficult to put incessant demands for IndyRef2 when you've been relegated to being the opposition at Holyrood in May 2021.

Wordsmith
Not at all, they'll just come out with "They're stealing oor independence"

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer
An interesting podcast which may have missed most of you. This episode of the weekly is interesting.

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer
Interesting subject material which I’ve not seen covered by any of the traditional MSM, which is surprising. My eldest is one who has student loans, even then he is working as many hours as he can manage.

A number of interesting articles and opinion pieces on the CommonSpace website just now.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Interesting subject material which I’ve not seen covered by any of the traditional MSM, which is surprising. My eldest is one who has student loans, even then he is working as many hours as he can manage.

A number of interesting articles and opinion pieces on the CommonSpace website just now.
We were lucky enough for middle MissF to go through University when Nursed still got bursary and master F got paid at Glasgow for nautical engineering.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Mornin’ well it give’s one a flavour of the thinking of serial litigants. What did surprise me was that there was no counter case by the Government re the legality of Kerr’s article fifty in the first place. But there it is. I am not sure how they SNP can force U.K. Gov to give them another referendum short I’d spending bucket loads of cash or where that cash would be sourced. . But noteably from one speech in his objection to the royal assent, Blackers pointedly did not mention the rights of English voters or the fact the last indyref was about to determine the future of the U.K. by excluding 40 odd million voters including Scots living here.

Cybernats getting desperate and really scraping the barrel! I'm quite sure if such a document existed it would be all over the news or redacted
You only have to read Hansard (Ken Livingstone's maiden speech) to see that Nairac was directly involved in a conspiracy to bring down the then Labour government by killing innocent Catholics!

Is it any wonder the Nats are starting to use NI as a reference point when you see the banners used at the recent AUOB march in Glasgow. I hardly think making the referendum a sectarian issue will help anyone!

homeworker

War Hero
You only have to read Hansard (Ken Livingstone's maiden speech) to see that Nairac was directly involved in a conspiracy to bring down the then Labour government by killing innocent Catholics!

Is it any wonder the Nats are starting to use NI as a reference point when you see the banners used at the recent AUOB march in Glasgow. I hardly think making the referendum a sectarian issue will help anyone!
Wow, I must move in very limited circles as I have never heard that about Nairac before.

Latest Threads