Scottish Politics Thread

The SNP are somewhat like the last Labour government - maxing out the Scottish credit card to stay in power and hoping no-one notices they're living way beyond their means.

The Tories have finally started pointing out the empress has no clothes.

Wordsmith
the trouble is good as it will be to get rid of the idiots the damage they ve done to the Scottish economy will cripple their replacement s - and us!

Dredd

LE
I would take anything Galloway says with a large sack of salt.

Although I salute his indefatigability.

Dredd

LE
I was listening to Porridge Radio this morning and the Scottish Investment Bank was reported as up and running for 'business' - as long as it is green business and it will follow political direction.

One to watch with interest (something they probably won't be getting paid back). If not with a morbid sense of curiosity.

It's actually old news but either it was a slow news day for radio Shortbread or the bank is drumming up enough business and needed the free publicity.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
george Galloway was on RT the other day commentingthat 2020 is the year where the SNP start to fall apart but then said he’d say more but he couldn’t for ‘legal reasons’ - all very mysterious!
Wee Eck's trial for allegedly getting a bit rapey [guilt or innocence yet to be determined] starts shortly - I suspect that's what he's referring to.

Wordsmith

Wee Eck's trial for allegedly getting a bit rapey [guilt or innocence yet to be determined] starts shortly - I suspect that's what he's referring to.

Wordsmith
Yep, he's probably aware of a lot of what Salmond allegedly got up to for so long and just how much the Party has covered up.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
64% of out of Hospital cardiac arrests in Scotland are now treated by bystander CPR. Up from 2015.

This has produced a survival rate of 10%. Up from 5% in 2015.

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer
Although I’ve yet to get to the cause of it, I’ve seen a number of posts across social media with members of the more committed parts of the Yes movement raging at our favourite “simple crofter”. Indeed some of them appear to be frothing with incandescent levels of rage, and while he is the named target of their ire, at the SNP leadership in general. One completely unhinged post even called for the movement to take matters into their own hands and alluded to “direct action” to ensure Scotland’s freedom. All does not appear to be well within the fringes of the Yes/Independence movement.

Notice SNPs Aex Neil calling for a "consultative " unilateral vote on independence

Apart from the fact it would probably be vetoed by the majority of Scots , as it will not be mandated by the UK government.. therefor unconstitutional
Will it mean that if the vote was again NO then it was only consultative, but if it was YES, it was the will of the people of Scotland?

SNP need to remember
you can fool some of the people all of the time
you can fool all of the people some of the time
but you can't fool all of the people all of the time

The mantra that all political parties should have tattood to their foreheads, never mind the SNP.
By gum the Scots deserve better.

Notice SNPs Aex Neil calling for a "consultative " unilateral vote on independence

Apart from the fact it would probably be vetoed by the majority of Scots , as it will not be mandated by the UK government.. therefor unconstitutional
Will it mean that if the vote was again NO then it was only consultative, but if it was YES, it was the will of the people of Scotland?

SNP need to remember
I understand the dangers of a unilateral vote on independence, but being firmly in the No camp I'd be interested in:

1. Just how many could be arrsed to vote knowing it wouldn't get Scotland anywhere

2. What the numbers for No, Yes and Don't know would turn out to be

3. If the result turned out to be No, would that mean the Scottish government would have to resign as independence seems to be the only thing they're interested in

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer

SNP need to remember
They know their vote and number of seats are going to fall in the Holyrood elections in May 2021 - which will totally undermine the SNP claims they have a mandate for IndyRef2,

They also know they're up against a PM who believes in the union, will never give into their demands and will do his best to refocus attention on their record in office.

They're a worried SNP....

Wordsmith

I understand the dangers of a unilateral vote on independence, but being firmly in the No camp I'd be interested in:

1. Just how many could be arrsed to vote knowing it wouldn't get Scotland anywhere

2. What the numbers for No, Yes and Don't know would turn out to be

3. If the result turned out to be No, would that mean the Scottish government would have to resign as independence seems to be the only thing they're interested in
there'd be the small matter of open warfare if the cult decided to try it! Independence is very much a minority sport played by people who think they re big enough to play in the big league but are only sunday pub league at best! I genuinely believe my 79 year old mum would be manning the baricades with a sharp pointy stick just praying for an opportunity to stick it up Sturgeons arse!

there'd be the small matter of open warfare if the cult decided to try it! Independence is very much a minority sport played by people who think they re big enough to play in the big league but are only sunday pub league at best! I genuinely believe my 79 year old mum would be manning the baricades with a sharp pointy stick just praying for an opportunity to stick it up Sturgeons arse!
I don't see that at all, I didn't see it during the referendum either and it would probably just attract a lot of Meh

I don't see that at all, I didn't see it during the referendum either and it would probably just attract a lot of Meh
Granted, the shouty people are all on one side but the rest are quietly simmering!

Think of the robust reaction in Catalania! The first people to start screaming would be the other politicians in Holyrood and the UK mainstream media would be supporting the anti-SNP side. Between them, some serious whipping up of the populace could easily be organised eg your OAP/Mil/Govt pension is at severe risk or the truth, Nicola Sturgeon has no solutions for money etc

The SNP, on its own, is not in the majority in Holyrood and only hangs on due to that idiot and his 'SNP Light' MSPs in the Greens so it could potentially be a minority attempt to rip the UK apart and theres actually no guarantee that all the SNP politicians/supporters would even support this illegal action - this is similar to what the Remainers/Bercow/BBC etc tried by going against the public wishes and got soundly spanked as a result.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Granted, the shouty people are all on one side but the rest are quietly simmering!

Think of the robust reaction in Catalania! The first people to start screaming would be the other politicians in Holyrood and the UK mainstream media would be supporting the anti-SNP side. Between them, some serious whipping up of the populace could easily be organised eg your OAP/Mil/Govt pension is at severe risk or the truth, Nicola Sturgeon has no solutions for money etc

The SNP, on its own, is not in the majority in Holyrood and only hangs on due to that idiot and his 'SNP Light' MSPs in the Greens so it could potentially be a minority attempt to rip the UK apart and theres actually no guarantee that all the SNP politicians/supporters would even support this illegal action - this is similar to what the Remainers/Bercow/BBC etc tried by going against the public wishes and got soundly spanked as a result.
The Greens backed the Tories in forcing through an independent review of the Scottish education system - against SNP opposition. And as the May 2021 elections approach, I expect they'll do more of the same. Damaged SNP = more Green seats.

Wordsmith

They know their vote and number of seats are going to fall in the Holyrood elections in May 2021 - which will totally undermine the SNP claims they have a mandate for IndyRef2,

They also know they're up against a PM who believes in the union, will never give into their demands and will do his best to refocus attention on their record in office.

They're a worried SNP....

Wordsmith
They also know that once out of the EU parochial political parties will disappear.

george Galloway was on RT the other day commentingthat 2020 is the year where the SNP start to fall apart but then said he’d say more but he couldn’t for ‘legal reasons’ - all very mysterious!
Never taken the clown seriously for decades.
He's got form for serious errors of judgement & gaffs as bad as Magic Santa.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if some believed the bit in bold, people can be easily led.

My 3 military pensions, injury compensation and in a few years my State Pension will be received whatever the fallout from independence SNP stylee, they're all UK governments domain. If however during the separation talks the UK gov decides to make the Scot Gov pay all these pensions etc, they still have to pass that money onto Scot Gov to pay out to recipients. What I would be concerned about is the amount of tax applied and whether what I currently receive free of tax continues that way (injury comp and relevant pensions etc), also the level at which tax kicks in could be quite damaging.

Latest Threads