Book Reviewer

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Wee Nippy will be pleased - this has effectively been forced on her by the Scottish Tories.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/01/16/nicola-sturgeon-bows-msps-demand-full-review-scottish-education/
Nicola Sturgeon has capitulated to opposition MSPs' demand for a full review of Scotland's education system only hours after her Education Minister refused to concede one. The First Minister said her administration would abide by the Scottish Parliament's vote for a comprehensive investigation, which was opposed by SNP MSPs.
If the review is genuinely independent, the SNP are due for some very bad headlines. The fact this got through Holyrood must also mean the Greens (who normally vote with the SNP) must have voted against them.

Another instance where the Tories are starting to turn the focus of Scottish politics onto the SNP's record in office.

Wordsmith

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
The latest mad cap scheme by the greens no doubt this will be in the deal with the SNP to get their budget through and the SNP will happily agree as it will give them more votes after all Scotlands now a welcoming country but only if you follow the cult
Proposals to give asylum seekers right to vote
That'll work out really well, until they realise that after voting Yes in the next Indyref, that the benefit lake will soon be drying up due to losing the extra cash from the Barnett Formula, ready the border for an influx of Syrians, Nigerians and countless other opportunists.

Mick9abf

War Hero

Reading this tells me that the only thing protecting Police numbers (which the SNP reduced in practical terms by paying off civilian staff leaving jobs still to be done although denied they would never reduce officer numbers) at the minute is the 2020 UN Climate summit.

Wonder how long it will take before numbers get scythed after the event.... or will they wait and delay till after the next Scottish elections.....

Last edited:

Reading this tells me that the only thing protecting Police numbers (which the SNP reduced in practical terms by paying off civilian staff leaving jobs still to be done although denied they would never reduce officer numbers) at the minute is the 2020 UN Climate summit.

Wonder how long it will take before numbers get scythed after the event.... or will they wait and delay till after the next Scottish elections.....
BUT BUT BUT …..Westminster!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
BUT BUT BUT …..Westminster!
Out of interest, who decided that the Conference would be in Glasgow?

I assume that there was some sort of bidding process.

Or was it the UK's turn and if so, who said let's have it in Glasgow

Yeah it's the Sun, but it's a good article none the less.
Agree with the sentiment, not the detail. The writer makes the same mistake the SNP do in that they believe everyone agrees with their POV, in the authors POV everyone hates Boris Johnson and thinks he's a clown.

Well I don't and as the SCUP took 50% of the number the SNP got in Dundee East, an SNP hotspot, I think a lot of people would also disagree and if I was a senior SNP person I'd be pretty worried at the next elections.

Dredd

LE
It's another indictment of the attitudes that Nationalism seems to engender. What is interesting is not so much that Mason thinks this is acceptable, but the total lack of cacophony from other "democracy-loving" individuals from Das Party who tell him that is unacceptable behaviour. This is the most worrying aspect of it. First they came for the Trade Unionists and I did nothing . . ..

These people pride themselves in being anti-every-ist and fight for the cause against racism, sexism, extremism (lol) and so on, yet cannot see the biggest and most dangerous 'ist' of all in modern Scotland - Nationalist.

Wee Nippy will be pleased - this has effectively been forced on her by the Scottish Tories.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/01/16/nicola-sturgeon-bows-msps-demand-full-review-scottish-education/

If the review is genuinely independent, the SNP are due for some very bad headlines. The fact this got through Holyrood must also mean the Greens (who normally vote with the SNP) must have voted against them.

Another instance where the Tories are starting to turn the focus of Scottish politics onto the SNP's record in office.

Wordsmith
Its been encouraging that in the lead upto the last GE, and afterwards, the SNP seem to have come under greater scrutiny and tougher questioning, both in parliament(s) and in TV interviews. Wee Nippy is not used to this, her whole act is to shout loudly about pish to detract from her shockingly bad mismanagment of Scottish Govt Agencies and the Economy. For too long, the likes of Andrew Marr and various other leading reporters have completely failed to hold her and the likes of Blackford to account. Personally, I find this encouraging and long may it continue!

Out of interest, who decided that the Conference would be in Glasgow?

I assume that there was some sort of bidding process.

Or was it the UK's turn and if so, who said let's have it in Glasgow
One of my colleagues has a family member in the Police and he says that huge chunks of Glasgow are going to be closed off due to many of the participants of the Conference having diplomatic status that essentially means their accomodation becomes an embasy with heightened security - in addition to the costs for policing it also has a serious efect on business as the Hotel accomodation is basically sold out or the price has gone through the roof - the place I work has many people travelling to and from Scotland/England every wek but advises staff not to travel during this period due to the raised cost.

Dredd

LE
One of my colleagues has a family member in the Police and he says that huge chunks of Glasgow are going to be closed off due to many of the participants of the Conference having diplomatic status that essentially means their accomodation becomes an embasy with heightened security - in addition to the costs for policing it also has a serious efect on business as the Hotel accomodation is basically sold out or the price has gone through the roof - the place I work has many people travelling to and from Scotland/England every wek but advises staff not to travel during this period due to the raised cost.
Could be worse - if we weren't part of the UK there would be no other places available for consideration when it came our turn to hold it again.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Wordsmith
This finally starting to happen, and she is being found wanting

Dredd

LE
This finally starting to happen, and she is being found wanting

For a bit of perspective on your post we need a report on how well wishing things better works - and as we suspected, it isn't as effective as actually doing something about it:

So our judgement of how successful the persistent focus on constitutional matters is in making education a better prospect for our entire population is . . .?

Latest Threads