Scottish Politics Thread

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer
The Nats are about to run head on into BoJo - who is not going to be the walkover PMTM is.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/01/12/no-second-independence-referendum-nicola-sturgeon-first-minister/

IN PMQ's BoJo flat out accused the SNP of using IndryRef2 to divert attention from their failure to run the Scottish economy properly. That's a theme he's going to come back to regularly - and one the SNP are vulnerable on. I susect money is also going to flood into Labour former heartlands in the north to ensure they stay Tory. When the inevitable growth results, BoJo will be saying that's what a Try government at Holyrood could achieve for Scotland.

We'll be out of the EU in a few weeks - BoJo will be chopping tax and regulation, plus doing populist things like returning full control of Scottish fishing waters to the UK. Where things were EU controlled, I suspect they will return to being UK controlled, not SNP controlled - BoJo arguing that otherwise control will be fragmented. That also keeps powers out of the SNP's hands. And the more we diverge from the EU, the more powers the SNP would have to give up to the EU were they to achieve independence and rejoin.

Finally, BoJo is reportedly hiring an adviser as to how to strengthen the union (=fornicate the SNP).

The SNP have been denying economic and political gravity for years. BoJo knows time is on his side and will just stonewall SNP demands until they lose power in Scotland.

Wordsmith
You think that a party that would produce an elected politician who “invented” a whole new stream of revenue and persuaded numerous SNP supporters to howl about the fictional Whisky Export Duty and never apologised for it are going to let facts or reality stop their “inevitable” momentum to independence? There is a concerted strategy at work to increase support from eroding faith in media/journalists to concocting a narrative of socially different directions being taken by the different parts of the UK. The forthcoming trial of our former First Minister may not be the disaster for the SNP that many hope, the hard core within the SNP/Yes faithful will have a narrative ready to go, after all the head of AUOB had a tweeted about “false flag attacks” and “state sponsored murder” minutes after the Westminster Bridge attack happened.

If the UK does not have the boats and crews to police the fishing grounds, how on earth does the Scottish government expect to do it?
No doubt that will be discussed when UK Fisheries Policy gets debated in Westminster.

I believe HMS The Prince of Wales could be re-named HMS Queen Mary of Scots and used as the Scottish Fisheries Protection Vessel with aircraft support using it as a landing base when called for.

:)

No doubt that will be discussed when UK Fisheries Policy gets debated in Westminster.

I believe HMS The Prince of Wales could be re-named HMS Queen Mary of Scots and used as the Scottish Fisheries Protection Vessel with aircraft support using it as a landing base when called for.

:)
my lad had a hand in building it

I wouldn't want to sail in it

The saga of continues…...

There are eco friendly boats out there …..

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The saga of continues…...

There are eco friendly boats out there …..

One sailing from Portsmouth to the Isle of Wight for nearly a year now. Very pleasant, a huge improvement on the others in the Wightlink fleet. Built in Turkey and sailed to UK:

I'm sure that this:

will come as no surprise to many.

Though Sturgeon may bleat and moan, this government can gave her and her 'demands' a good, stiff ignoring for some time.
The Excellent was more for the Decision and link I'm afraid, otherwise you may have still got a Like :)

From the Scottish Independence White Paper:
557. If Scotland votes No, will there be another referendum on independence at a later date?
The Edinburgh Agreement states that a referendum must be held by the end of 2014. There is no arrangement in place for another referendum on independence. It is the view of the current Scottish Government that a referendum is a once-in-a-generation opportunity. This means that only a majority vote for Yes in 2014 would give certainty that Scotland will be independent.

One thing that puzzles me is what was behind the SNP's surge in the election, being quite remote from it I can only guess

Was it purely the further collapse of the Labour vote and remainers voting for the SNP en masse or was there more to it than that?

What analysis has been post the election?
nothing official but one of my colleagues told me that he was having a pint with his brother and his mates and they toldhim that they voted SNP because they couldn’t vote labour because corbyn et al were useless and they hated Boris - nothing other than simple hatred of a posh bloke , nothing to do with policies or anything else just simple hatred of someone seen as posh - interestingly they also said that they would not vote for independence because the SNP couldn’t make it work .
So, there you have it , I think their attitude is pretty common in Scotland and the SNP get a large proportion of their votes for a lack of any other decent voting options - a large SNP vote does not automatically translate to the equivalent Indy votes .

nothing official but one of my colleagues told me that he was having a pint with his brother and his mates and they toldhim that they voted SNP because they couldn’t vote labour because corbyn et al were useless and they hated Boris - nothing other than simple hatred of a posh bloke , nothing to do with policies or anything else just simple hatred of someone seen as posh - interestingly they also said that they would not vote for independence because the SNP couldn’t make it work .
So, there you have it , I think their attitude is pretty common in Scotland and the SNP get a large proportion of their votes for a lack of any other decent voting options - a large SNP vote does not automatically translate to the equivalent Indy votes .

Even Krankie admitted after the election that not all who supported her party in the election would support her in an indi2 vote.

Not that we are having one anytime soon :)

Dredd

LE
And even with that, the obvious alternative (Lib Dem) never even occurred to them.

Which shows how effective this fringe group are at getting the message across.

All it proves is.....................a verbal confirmation from Salmon/Sturgeon, is worth nothing and, she can't be trusted !

Go figure !

And even with that, the obvious alternative (Lib Dem) never even occurred to them.

Which shows how effective this fringe group are at getting the message across.
you ve put your finger bang in the number one problem in Scottish politics! For all intents and purposes only one party really exists in Scotland .
All the rest are practically invisible and with total nonentities running them. That’s not to say that the SNP are much better! It’s just that they seem to be the sweet corn in the turd that sticks out a bit from the beige but still stinks.
I remember seeing a trump speech before he got elected when he gave a speech and asked people in a very poor run down democrat area what did they have to lose by voting for change (him)? Were the people running the govt/local area really improving their lives? Why continually vote for the same party if they don’t improve your life? - if only we had an opposition politician with the strength and character to do something similar!

Seadog

ADC
Even if the 10 000 at the All Under On Banner march in Glasgow were
100 000, they would still be Edmund Burke’s importunate grasshoppers to his silent great cattle and oak tree.

You think that a party that would produce an elected politician who “invented” a whole new stream of revenue and persuaded numerous SNP supporters to howl about the fictional Whisky Export Duty and never apologised for it are going to let facts or reality stop their “inevitable” momentum to independence? There is a concerted strategy at work to increase support from eroding faith in media/journalists to concocting a narrative of socially different directions being taken by the different parts of the UK. The forthcoming trial of our former First Minister may not be the disaster for the SNP that many hope, the hard core within the SNP/Yes faithful will have a narrative ready to go, after all the head of AUOB had a tweeted about “false flag attacks” and “state sponsored murder” minutes after the Westminster Bridge attack happened.
Scotland is beginning to sound like Iran.

Latest Threads