Scottish Politics Thread

lecky

War Hero
I think that we've reached a point-in-time where it's now probably an ideal time to let the Celtic Colonies jog-on their merry way and cut them loose on a 'cold turkey' kind of deal, let them run free to they see the errors of their ways and come back like naughty children do to their parents when they wan't some more sweets.
Agreed with your sentiments, but not with the plan. If the people of Scotland want Independence then who are we stand in their way and good luck to them. However, should they decide to leave, then they've left:
Here's your share of the assets, here's your share of the debts. No Pound Sterling for you. There's no way we are going to allow a foreign government influence on our Fiscal Policy.
Need some wedge? Go cap in hand to join the EU if you can? If you do join the EU, ask the Germans and the French for money to subsidise overspends, but allow me to point out they'll have nothing political to "buy" with their "investment" in Scotland, except to maybe to step in and "help" Scotland put the Brakes on their spending... just as they have done in other EU countries. They'll be a bit tight from with splashing the cash from now on, because one of the EU's main benefactors has just left.
What remains of the UK will be saving something around £27Billion in annual payments once Scotland has left the UK?
If Independence goes wrong for Scotland, then why should the rest of the UK have to re start payments, which are likely to be much higher initially, to make good a self inflicted economic injury, just to indulge the Scottish who gave the rest of the UK the unilateral heave ho?
If it doesn't work out for the Scottish, they own it!
If they want to re-join then what goes around, comes around. I believe the people of the rest of the UK should be allowed a once in a generation referendum to see if we agree to let Scotland back in? After all, it's our money. Wouldn't want to be seen to set a precedent for recently broken independent nations with former links to us, to think they can foist themselves back on us, with out so much as a by your leave, because they've made a Bo**ocks of their economy under their own steam?
Whatever next? Zimbabwe?

Dredd

LE
Agreed with your sentiments, but not with the plan. If the people of Scotland want Independence then who are we stand in their way and good luck to them. However, should they decide to leave, then they've left:
Here's your share of the assets, here's your share of the debts. No Pound Sterling for you. There's no way we are going to allow a foreign government influence on our Fiscal Policy.
Need some wedge? Go cap in hand to join the EU if you can? If you do join the EU, ask the Germans and the French for money to subsidise overspends, but allow me to point out they'll have nothing political to "buy" with their "investment" in Scotland, except to maybe to step in and "help" Scotland put the Brakes on their spending... just as they have done in other EU countries. They'll be a bit tight from with splashing the cash from now on, because one of the EU's main benefactors has just left.
What remains of the UK will be saving something around £27Billion in annual payments once Scotland has left the UK?
If Independence goes wrong for Scotland, then why should the rest of the UK have to re start payments, which are likely to be much higher initially, to make good a self inflicted economic injury, just to indulge the Scottish who gave the rest of the UK the unilateral heave ho?
If it doesn't work out for the Scottish, they own it!
If they want to re-join then what goes around, comes around. I believe the people of the rest of the UK should be allowed a once in a generation referendum to see if we agree to let Scotland back in? After all, it's our money. Wouldn't want to be seen to set a precedent for recently broken independent nations with former links to us, to think they can foist themselves back on us, with out so much as a by your leave, because they've made a Bo**ocks of their economy under their own steam?
Whatever next? Zimbabwe?
Cheers easy

FrayedGiddyBuck-small.gif

I think that we've reached a point-in-time where it's now probably an ideal time to let the Celtic Colonies jog-on their merry way and cut them loose on a 'cold turkey' kind of deal, let them run free to they see the errors of their ways and come back like naughty children do to their parents when they wan't some more sweets.
Why would we want any of them back?

Well, that would certainly make life easier for the SNP. A political union between a Scotland no longer bound by the Act of Union, and an Ireland that is already a member of the EU.

Serpico

War Hero
All this UDI and Rhodesia talk is making me moist tbh, I might go out and form The Dundee Light Horse, snazzy riding breeches and tailored combat jackets de rigueur, plant loads of sisal beside the Tay, job jobbed

All this UDI and Rhodesia talk is making me moist tbh, I might go out and form The Dundee Light Horse, snazzy riding breeches and tailored combat jackets de rigueur, plant loads of sisal beside the Tay, job jobbed
If you truly live in Dundee, may I suggest you visit The Ferry, if you dress like that in Dundee you'll find out first hand how bad Ninewells A&E currently is :)

Serpico

War Hero
If you truly live in Dundee, may I suggest you visit The Ferry, if you dress like that in Dundee you'll find out first hand how bad Ninewells A&E currently is :)
Hahaha aye for sure, we'll have an outpost in the DCA

Team you support mate? Shed rule ya bas

Well done. I note that, while your post was aimed at how many seats the SNP would get, you don't make any mention of this change in your post above so people who read your initial post are unlikely to go back and re-read the amended post. This is how false news works! ;)

In the interests of mitigating false news, here's my updated estimate, including England, Wales & NI (checked against BBC results as at 132250Z DEC 19). I sat down at a single computer this time and allocated a few minutes to reviewing it. It looks better, but probably still has errors in it, so caveat emptor.

1576277485769.png

1576277503732.png

1576277520036.png

1576277543962.png

1576277564774.png

There are many options for apportioning the seats given that a simple ratio doesn't necessarily give whole number seats (in fact, it's very unlikely to). I couldn't be bothered to research them, so I made one up - round each proportional seat count down to the nearest smaller integer (floor function), calculate the difference between actual and calculated seats, calculate the remaining fraction for each seat, sort the fractions, pick the top <difference> fractions and add 1 to each of their seat counts.

I'd have attached the Excel workbook, but my browser (or the site) doesn't seem to want to let me do it.

------
Info:
@giatttt @SkippedOnce

Attachments

Last edited:
In the interests of mitigating false news, here's my updated estimate, including England, Wales & NI (checked against BBC results as at 132250Z DEC 19). I sat down at a single computer this time and allocated a few minutes to reviewing it. It looks better, but probably still has errors in it, so caveat emptor.

View attachment 436822

View attachment 436823

View attachment 436824

View attachment 436825

View attachment 436826

There are many options for apportioning the seats given that a simple ratio doesn't necessarily give whole number seats (in fact, it's very unlikely to). I couldn't be bothered to research them, so I made one up - round each proportional seat count down to the nearest smaller integer (floor function), calculate the difference between actual and calculated seats, calculate the remaining fraction for each seat, sort the fractions, pick the top <difference> fractions and add 1 to each of their seat counts.

I'd have attached the Excel workbook, but my browser (or the site) doesn't seem to want to let me do it.

------
Info:
@giatttt @SkippedOnce
Thank you!

Would you like to save me a lot of time and effort, and repeat the exercise to illustrate the result if we had the benefit of the "Single Transferable Vote" . . . ;) .

Serpico

War Hero
This is a genuine question for NO voters (yi nawbags yi), as I feel the answer goes a long way to answering not only how to win the referendum, but how to build a succesful nation afterwards.

So, put yourself in this scenario, Scotland has voted to leave and is about to leave the Union. What values and ideals would you have for us? Which direction would you like to take the country? What policies and red lines would be sacrosanct to you?

Let's face it eh, Independence is coming and we're too wee for petty infighting. We'll all need to pull together if indy is to work, let's aw get thegether and do a cheeky wee Drang nach England, tomorrow belongs to us kameraden

Let's face it eh, Independence is coming and we're too wee for petty infighting.
Did you hear about the referendum result it was 55% no, 45% yes. Nothing has changed in the past couple of years to alter that. You're kiddin yersel on big man.

Serpico

War Hero
Did you hear about the referendum result it was 55% no, 45% yes. Nothing has changed in the past couple of years to alter that. You're kiddin yersel on big man.
We'll see. I'm not kiddin masel on that it's a foregone conclusion next referendum round, but whether we get a wee "perfect storm" of voting conditions next time round or not, this is an issue that isn't going away until we've won I'm afraid

We'll see. I'm not kiddin masel on that it's a foregone conclusion next referendum round, but whether we get a wee "perfect storm" of voting conditions next time round or not, this is an issue that isn't going away until we've won I'm afraid
Can you explain what has changed since last time to make people think again?

You remind me of a previous member, username was something like cumming5.

When you, and your lot, accept the result of 2014 the infighting will stop.
Something about too wee and too stupid springs to mind........

Latest Threads