Scottish Politics Thread

As an historical figure then it is perfectly legitimate to learn about Scottish history. I have a hazy recollection of my classes at school as it wasn't a subject I appreciated at the time, but I seem to recall we had much more about the wider significance of world events. Interestingly, looking back on it being a bit Scots-light, it similarly had little about non-Western cultures. And again, there is a risk in flavouring history with our own prejudice and viewpoints, which should be guarded against. Easy to say - difficult to do in practice.
I must have been doing the same as I recall a school trip to Bannockburn at the same age.

But then it after that was more British history than specifically Scottish
Young Master Slaw, went to the new Culloden visitor centre with his school last year. Lots of dressing up and role playing, plus learning of the build up to the battle, the battle itself and the aftermath.
From what I got from him when he got home, he thoroughly enjoyed it and it has peeked his interest. The new visitor centre is very good and historically accurate, rather than going all "Bravehart".

BoJo is no more disingenuous than any other politician
Made oi larf. How many other politicians have been sacked twice for lying to their boss, and refuse to admit how many children they have?

(Or, for that matter, lying to The Boss - "yup, proroguing parliament is entirely above board, sign here Your Majesty")

Even at Primary School I was told about Robbie the Bruce and spider, Battles of Bannockburn and the Kings of Scotland to Jimmy six becoming first for England. I'm sure we spent quite a long time, similarly at Secondary School. Additionally we learned of the Scottish authors and poets. I can't imagine any of my learnings of Scotland were sparse. When I later got drafts up to Rosyth and Port Edgar I knew quite a lot which was reinforced by visited historic sites. I am from the middle of industrial Lancashire and can say I knew more about Scotland than I did my own environs. :cool:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

seeing as we have drifted onto history Historic Scotland are doing their free tickets for St. Andrew's day, actually the Saturday and Sunday.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Always goodto hear that your management team have been involved in legal action!

I quite like some of the ideas that Labour are putting out at the moment but seriously finding it hard to vote for them with the 3 at the top shift them out the top jobs and I'd reckon they would have the election in the bag but too late now this time around. Really struggling who to vote this time around not had one single leaflet from any party through the door yet any one else?
There is no doubt that Labour identify real issues, but they do tend to bundle them all with equal priority and zeal - we can;t do everything at once. I am going to give Boris and co the benefit this time round as I believe they might just have recognized the extent of inequality and absolute need to tackle the issues albeit through a mixture of government investment and market economic development.

The last time there was an awareness on the current scale was during WW2 when all social classes intermingled in the armed forces and the better off realized, perhaps for the first time, just how the other end of the country lived. We should have grown up somewhat and don't need another war to recognize the problems nor the opportunities to put them right. The combination of an upstart northern electorate, social media and clarion calls from some politicians have, I believe, led to an awareness not seen for many generations. If Boris can address the issues and fix the priorities in health, housing and jobs he will be a hero. If he doesn't the Conservatives (and Labour) are finished.

Talking of manufactured grievance, I just had to shake my head at this one.

A separatist colleague of mine said that Corbyn was insulting the Scots by his choice of clothing during his recent visit. An illustration of what he was talking about is in the picture below.

View attachment 429994

Apparently, the disgrace is that he was not wearing a bona fide tartan. Now, there is much I can dislike about the racist, terrorist-loving, jew-hating communist but wearing something that was probably Produce of Scotland during a visit to Scotland and then being pilloried for it not being proper Scottish is simply fantastical and grievance manufacturing of the highest order.

I do hope my colleague is intending to donate his brain to science after his demise as it will be a medical journey of discovery.
Ah, a tartan issue - not for the faint-hearts. A tartan, properly so called, is required to conform with strict design and manufacturing specifications and be registered as such on the Scottish Tartan Register - formerly based in Crieff, Perthshire, but taken over by the Scottish Government around ten years ago. Whether the 'who cares' tartan conforms with the above or not, I have no idea, but that is possibly what lies at the root of the matter. One of, if not the, leading expert on the matter is a former RAF Navigator who was awarded an MBE for his work and still runs the Scottish Tartan Authority - a goldmine of knowledge on the subject.

Nicola Sturgeon will demand a second independence referendum next year even if the vote to leave the European Union is overturned, the SNP said.

2 myths killed with one stone.

1. Leaving the EU will break up the Union - The SNP appear to be hell bent on breaking up the Union, regardless of EU Status.

2. The SNP really are a small bunch of Anglophobe's - Which makes them very racist and xenophobic.

SDFA

Old-Salt

1. Leaving the EU will break up the Union - The SNP appear to be hell bent on breaking up the Union, regardless of EU Status.

2. The SNP really are a small bunch of Anglophobe's - Which makes them very racist and xenophobic.
In short.. complete c***s

A (possibly overly) simplistic rule of thumb:

Avoid any political party with 'National' in the title-it will end badly.

shellbackmac

Old-Salt
Unsure of how it will go in Dunfermline and West Fife on 12th of December. The recent incumbent ,Douglas Chapman of the SNP, saw a 10,000 majority in 2015 reduced to 844 in 2017 with only a minor increase in the Labour vote for Cara Hilton, The Tories were 5 and a half thousand behind the SNP. In light of the apparent collapse in Labour support I wonder if previous Labour voting unionists will go to the Conservatives or throw their lot in with the LibDem candidate (who was massively behind on 3000 votes (compared to 18,000 for the SNP) 2 years ago. Will the traditional Labour support hold up and require a few tactical votes or will the SNP go back to it's 2015 majority? Can see no sign in my village of traditional Labour voters switching to Tory or LibDem but, as ever, whatever the polls say is trumped by everyone going into the booth and casting their vote in private on the day of the race. Today's news that the MOD and Babcock have signed the deal on the first 5 Type 31e Frigates being built in Rosyth may have an impact............we'll find out.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

This analysis makes for interesting reading, out of 59 MP seats in Scotland, 46 are classed as marginal, having a majority of under 10%.

Fife North East saw an SNP victory of just 2 votes in 2017, the smallest majority this century.

But across the UK there are 52 seats which in 2017 saw majorities under 2%, that's a lot of seats which are doubtful one way or another.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

This analysis makes for interesting reading, out of 59 MP seats in Scotland, 46 are classed as marginal, having a majority of under 10%.

Fife North East saw an SNP victory of just 2 votes in 2017, the smallest majority this century.

But across the UK there are 52 seats which in 2017 saw majorities under 2%, that's a lot of seats which are doubtful one way or another.
Not just that but the neighbouring constituency of Dunfermline and West Fife saw the SNP go from 10,000 majority in 2015 to just 800+ so the SNP will be having twitchy Sphincters there also.

For most Scottish voters then, the choice seems to be between SNP (leave UK, remain in EU and increase the population) or Lib Dem (Remain in UK and remain in EU). Both parties have their own ideas about democracy but perhaps Lib Dems are lesser of two evils in Scotland?

Not just that but the neighbouring constituency of Dunfermline and West Fife saw the SNP go from 10,000 majority in 2015 to just 800+ so the SNP will be having twitchy Sphincters there also.
I get the impression the SNP just don't believe anyone dare vote for their opposition, particularly the hated tories. Sounds a bit like over confidence to me and I hope, but very much doubt, it comes back to bite their ample deposits :)

Latest Threads