Scottish Politics Thread

Dredd

LE
I've absolutely no idea how you got those results man, I can't replicate them haha. I'm getting a required sample of 1037 @99% confidence/4% margin

BTW, although I quoted you, it wasn't aimed directly at you, just been hearing this chat a lot recently. Go and answer the question in my original post though?

PS - 5.4 mil plus change population, we're mad shaggers eh ;)
Your PS assumes the increase is due to birth rate - which it isn't. In 2018 there were 58,503 deaths recorded against 51,308 births, continuing a general trend since 2015. So the only other way the population could increase would be . . . ?

I think we Scots are a little more canny and after that last tissue of lies, known as The White Paper, will be looking for something more truthful.
#joe_private curious as to what you disagree with?

Serpico

Old-Salt
@Dredd It was merely an off the cuff quip my dear boy, wasn't meant to have any factual substance. It's somewhat tiresome posting in here as a YES supporter tbh, being ridiculed and called stupid for your beliefs, rather poor form really. But hey ho, it won't change the eventual outcome.

I'm still waiting on anyone giving a good reason as to why a professional pollster would run and publish statisically insignificant polls...

that I'm struggling with.
Aye. As a race we're so canny that we saw the white paper, have seen the destruction the SNP have caused with education, the police....basically anything they've been in charge of.......and yet there's canny Scots that still vote for them.
Aye. We're a canny race. (Don't think I can find an emoji with a big enough eye roll)

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I think we Scots are a little more canny and after that last tissue of lies, known as The White Paper, will be looking for something more truthful.
I doubt that is the way any future referendum will be fought.

IndyRef showed what happens when you produce a blueprint for your proposed future. Multiple debates with every minor issue being intensely scrutinised.

The EU Ref learned from that and pretty much just campaigned on the slogan Take Back Control without any sort of detail on how this would be achieved.

They are an interesting study in 2 entirely different models of politics,though both relied heavily on Project Fear.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Aye. As a race we're so canny that we saw the white paper, have seen the destruction the SNP have caused with education, the police....basically anything they've been in charge of.......and yet there's canny Scots that still vote for them.
Aye. We're a canny race. (Don't think I can find an emoji with a big enough eye roll)
I have oft heard it said that whilst they may not be perfect they are not as poor as the alternatives.

I doubt that is the way any future referendum will be fought.

IndyRef showed what happens when you produce a blueprint for your proposed future. Multiple debates with every minor issue being intensely scrutinised.

The EU Ref learned from that and pretty much just campaigned on the slogan Take Back Control without any sort of detail on how this would be achieved.

They are an interesting study in 2 entirely different models of politics,though both relied heavily on Project Fear.
Yes, but as it's down to the hated Westminster to agree (yet) another independence referendum can be held, don't you think they'll have a bit of a say in the wording of it too?

watching the news tonight , looks like the scottish government are about to take ownership of the Ferguson ship yard
Yahoo! going to be interesting watching it cost us millions , to save 350 jobs, and save face

Are they going to privatise Rosyth and Faslane to protect the 12000 odd jobs when we get our independence,

Dredd

LE
A lot did vote for independence though didn't they and later a lot voted for dependence in another vote.
And vice versa. Demonstrating that the so-called Project Fear mantra is really a nonsense and just an excuse for failing to win.

Basic psychology tells us that humans fear change - they naturally defer to the status quo, as this is known, rather than for change which is a leap into the unknown. Hence when called upon, most of the 'Scots' that voted went for better-the-devil-we-know, as could be predicted. That the natural order was overturned in the second one actually shows how much discontent there is with the status quo and the foreseeable future that the alternative was viewed as a better option, even if that was far more likely the most turbulent route.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Don't jump the gun, the SG haven't even been given permission to hold another Once in a Lifetime neverendum yet.

Be interesting to know whose lifetime they're going to use this time!
To the SNP the 2014 referendum dosen't count, it was only a rehearsal. The next one (or the ones after it) will be the one that counts (if it is a Yes vote).

offog

LE
Don't jump the gun, the SG haven't even been given permission to hold another Once in a Lifetime neverendum yet.

Be interesting to know whose lifetime they're going to use this time!
Dragonflies.