Scottish Politics Thread

There was a report the other day that said that the population of Scotland was dropping and by 2040 it would be down by about 1.2m (number may be wrong but about that area). Businesses were suffering due to a skills shortage. The SNP spokesperson said that this is why Scotland need its own immigration control so that they can import people and train them up to fill this gap in numbers and skills.

Would it not be better to incentivise industry to train up the people you already have and make it a better place to live so that you attract others from within the UK to move there. Reduce the tax level so that people want to move to Scotland so that they can spend more of there earned income on their family.

I wonder if all this continuous talk about Indy is stopping industry comming or investing more in Scotland.
Whilst investment is still coming in, the current administration have shot themselves in the foot be imposing higher tax to those who create jobs and those who have been given large pay rises, teachers and doctors for example, they will end up paying more tax.

As for immigration, I am all for bringing people in, but, I am not for open borders like the SNP. There has also got to be the infrastructure for those coming in. There also has to be more teachers, doctors, nurses, houses etc. The current administration also have dumbed down education in the last 10-12 years - loss of circa 120,000 college places, lowering the pass rate of highers etc. They have also broken their own law, more than 10,000 times since 2012 over waiting lists. Rather than sorting those out they are too busy, at every opportunity, pushing their "freedum" policy.

@Dredd got to take number one daughter out to look at cars now and only skimmed that. I'll be back.

I did read a number of years ago that the birth rate in Singapore was dropping due to the women being better educated (degree level) and wanting more from life than being barefoot and chained to the sink. Female aspirations may be the root cause?
Certainly part of it. In general, the drive to procreate is not as strong a factor once other needs are being fulfilled, whatever the gender.

Back now:)

As I have mentioned before I have a pigeon pair, one went to uni, one went form college to work. She is a CAD tech and was taken on by the company who had decided to bring training in house instead of poaching from other companies (their pay scales are not great so had difficulty poaching). They put her through HNC and would like her to go onto a civil eng degree but she has had enough learning for the time being. They now have several years of trainees on their books who are working their way up and the company got rid of a lot of the long term contract staff. She is now teaching the trainees CAD (not sure which system) and going out to schools as part of the STEM system. Talking to others in the CAD industry it would seem that poaching staff is very common in industry. this company seems to be the exception.

At one point I worked in a college as a tutor on a public service course having an NVQ4 in adult education and a cert ed. Many of the "hands on" tutors had very little qualifications in teaching but years of working within industry. It then became policy that all tutors/lecturers should have a teaching qualification or be working towards one. Many of these lecturers decided it was time to move on as they did not want to jump through hoops in their late 50s/60s. this was accentuated by the Blair government prioritising uni over colleges and a lot of our funding was cut. Combine these two points with industry not providing training and you soon lose college places.

The apprentice scheme that came in was a joke. You did a 1 year NVQ/BTEC 1 or 2 over a year and were paid slave labour rates (even our council was using this ploy to cut costs). If you're bright you could do the work within 4 months but then have to leave the course or let it drag on to the years end. We had one apprentice with a degree in law doing a BTEC 2 just to earn money.

Until we change the focus on non academic education we will continue to need people comming from far off to do the jobs we can't be bothered to train people to do. I am not against immigration as these immigrants have a nasty habit of hard work and wanting to better themselves. What does get my goat is that, like industry, we are poaching from countries that need these motivated worker. It particularly grated when the SNP said that we needed these immigrants to run our NHS rather than say we need to make a career in the NHS more attractive to Scots. And on that point I do be the RCN is moving back to the SEN career path for some.

Interesting and informative post @offog and totally agree with the sentiment.

Another problem is that in the age of perma-sending 'news' outlets, there is a constant stream of how bad it is to work in the NHS, or as a teacher, or pound the beat, or be in the military. Then they laud up loud opinionated know-nothing narcissists who perpetuate on Youtube etc and call them "celebrities" - you too could be just like me just start a channel - and we wonder why people are not lining up to take on real work in the real world. Then, just to be sure, outsource military recruitment to the least competent and frankly appalling provider you can get away with for the seemingly cheapest amount possible. Just to (re-)discover the old adage - buy cheap, pay dear.

Still, if you didn't laugh you would cry.

On two of your points. My wife is/was (she has not bothered to re register this year) an RMN working in the community. After cancer (all ok so far 3 years on) and CFS which was probably related to the cancer, she was retired on medical ground by the NHS trust. This unfortunately was not good enough (or we didn't lie enough on the from) for those that run the NHS pension. The interaction between those who work within the profession and each other is very poor. It is definitely not a caring profession and I feel the RCN has a lot to answer for. That is why I think the SEN posts are comming back, to fill the on ward role as a lot of the degree nurses are too good to clean up and do the unpleasant jobs.

As to teaching, my last job was as a TA which I enjoyed a lot. I used to do a lot of my prep for lectures the following week on a Sunday. As I was ironing Sunday afternoon I was thinking what I needed to do for the next week and it suddenly occurred to me, nothing, I no longer have to prep lesson. Sitting in class watching the amount of paperwork that the teacher had to do was mind boggling. Most of it was pointless ticking boxes so that OFSTED could have something to look at. Once a school had a good reputation the level of classroom visits dropped off dramatically as it became a paperwork exercise to see that you had filled out all the boxes. In the seven years I worked in the school we had 3 OFSTED inspections and only once was I in a class that was inspected and we were a very small school. The non teaching work that they have to do has increased continuously over the years. At one time the deputy heads would also teach some classes, by the time I left other jobs got in the way and this practice ended or was on paper only. But I would say that the teachers pension is very good and you get it at 60.

Would it not be better to incentivise industry to train up the people you already have and make it a better place to live so that you attract others from within the UK to move there. Reduce the tax level so that people want to move to Scotland so that they can spend more of there earned income on their family.
I have said before on here and elsewhere that in particular, industrial electricians are in very short supply. All the engineering trades are in short supply. Until we lose this mindset that absolutely everyone *must* go to university and then work in an office this situation will remain. This is why for example, we end up in a perverse position where we, in my place, struggle to get people to take apprenticeships where on day one of being a tradesman at 20/21 years old you're on 40k a year, yet my mates work, the SEC in Glasgow has graduate baristas, kitchen porters and table staff. I'm sure that's not just a Scotland specific problem btw, it's UK wide.

I believe it was in abeyance in the period 1707 - 1999
I was under the impression it wasn't old, I certainly don't recall it being in place in the naughties. Further reading evinces that it is to celebrate the 20th Anniversary of the Scots parliament. But it is certainly a subtle nuance of Scottish supremacy in Britain.

I was under the impression it wasn't old, I certainly don't recall it being in place in the naughties. Further reading evinces that it is to celebrate the 20th Anniversary of the Scots parliament. But it is certainly a subtle nuance of Scottish supremacy in Britain.
I’m not sure about the parade you are referring to, but the Crown is paraded into the Scottish Parliament at the start of each new Session. As I said, this was resumed in 1999 after a near 300 year hiatus, although the Honours of Scotland have been in use for Royal visits to Scotland since the early 19th Century.
I’m also unsure what you mean by “Scottish supremacy in Britain”. The parade isn’t in London, is it?

I’m also unsure what you mean by “Scottish supremacy in Britain”. The parade isn’t in London, is it?
That’s the point. I remember the Scottish Crown Jewels we’re kept at Edinburgh castle, no issues with that whatever, I’ve seen them there. Point is that the Scottish Parliament does not have parity with Westminster

That’s the point. I remember the Scottish Crown Jewels we’re kept at Edinburgh castle, no issues with that whatever, I’ve seen them there. Point is that the Scottish Parliament does not have parity with Westminster
Of course it doesn’t. It exists purely at the whim of Westminster, however, I struggle to see how parading the Scottish Crown in Edinburgh in any way implies “Scottish supremacy in Britain”. I could have kind of seen it if the Scots Guards were parading the Scottish Crown through London, but they aren’t.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
And yet we fly Satires rather than Union Jacks from pretty much every government type and sports organisations.

The U.K. is exactly that, it comprises 4 countries under 1 banner.

Westminster is the UK Government. The Scottish Parliament is Scotland's Government.

By the same token, we have UK crown jewels in London and the Scottish crown jewels in Edinburgh.

Various elements of the Crown Jewels are worn by HMQ on state opening of U.K. Parliament. She does not attend opening of the Scottish Parliament but the Scottish jewels do.

By the same token, we have UK crown jewels in London and the Scottish crown jewels in Edinburgh.
Stone of Scone back in Edinburgh now as well. I was one of the military party lining the Royal Mile when it was being brought back. It was quite sweet during the practices to have the pipe band marching up the road at Oh My Fcuking God it's Early O'clock :)
Did get invited to have tea and sarnies with her maj at Holyrood house for that one (me and 3,000 others).

Of course it doesn’t. It exists purely at the whim of Westminster, however, I struggle to see how parading the Scottish Crown in Edinburgh in any way implies “Scottish supremacy in Britain”. I could have kind of seen it if the Scots Guards were parading the Scottish Crown through London, but they aren’t.
I did say nuances. If you say that the Scottish crown is the oldest( it is by about a century) in U.K and Somehow Sturgeon is the Equal of the Queen, which she isn’t there is an implication isn’t there? Add this to other nuances such as the primary inquisitors such as Andrew Neil and Andrew Marr working for the BBC, Fiona Bruce on QT etc. It’s all about perception and it’s the feeling I get. Now you can dismiss that, but you would have to convince me that it’s mistaken.

And yet we fly Satires rather than Union Jacks from pretty much every government type and sports organisations.

The U.K. is exactly that, it comprises 4 countries under 1 banner.

Westminster is the UK Government. The Scottish Parliament is Scotland's Government.

Various elements of the Crown Jewels are worn by HMQ on state opening of U.K. Parliament. She does not attend opening of the Scottish Parliament but the Scottish jewels do.
That I understand. But English flags on official buildings in England? No they fly the Union flag.