Scottish Politics Thread

Another well put letter from Mr Howell
View attachment 401950

They've done this sort of trick before......anyone remember the SNP National Survey of 2016......the one they claimed 1,700,000 had responded to. We heard nothing of that, although Nicoliar said we would be told the results.

Obviously they got the wrong answer on independence and binned it.
Ah, but that wisnae their fault big man.

It wiz yon Propaganda Information Commissioner whit put ra kaibosh onit, saying it wisnae legal and aw 'at. Cos if we wiz able tae read it the results would have said that over 98% of guid Scoats wid want their freeeeeeeedom immediate, if nae sooner.

At least, that was whit Saint Niccy telt me and I ken she is nae a liar.

Sturgeon has 'no intention of publishing listening exercise' after data protection breach

And it absolutely had nothing to do with the emotive leading questions involved, like "How do you feel about Scotland being dragged out of Europe against our will?" or "Should we consider independence again if that's the best or only way to protect Scotland's interests?"

And I am pretty sure that I didn't receive one of those leaflets, so my voice could not be "heard". Funny that. Couldn't have anything to do with living in an area that has moved from a long-standing Lib Dem to SNP (very briefly) to Conservative MP.

"The debate over the best future for Scotland is alive again." But only if you have a proven track record of voting the right way. Otherwise, keep your wrong opinions to yourself.

Another well put letter from Mr Howell
View attachment 401950

They've done this sort of trick before......anyone remember the SNP National Survey of 2016......the one they claimed 1,700,000 had responded to. We heard nothing of that, although Nicoliar said we would be told the results.

Obviously they got the wrong answer on independence and binned it.

Further to this letter. They are even trying to hide the reason behind the Citizen Assembly, no surprise there then

Citizens’ Assembly ‘perfect way’ to boost Scottish independence

But attempts to keep the assembly neutral appeared to be underminded when Joanna Cherry, MP for Edinburgh West, shared a video in which she claimed: “I believe this is the perfect way to move Scotland on from the current state of Brexit paralysis created by Westminster and to move us towards independence.”

The rationale is about who is more likely to stay in Scotland.

Scottish and surprisingly overseas graduates are more likely to stay in Scotland, at least initially. However those from elsewhere in the UK return home.

There is a great clamour to increase the number of doctors, and this is one way to help achieve that
My nephew is currently a Dr in Edinburgh hospital. He is from NI but trained in Newcastle (qualified about 3 or 4 years) and will shortly be going off to NZ to live.

It's not the vacancies it's the quality of life, Lincolnshire has a similar problem with a shortage of doctors and having to close GP practices and A&E departments. Maybe we should require them to spend X number of years posted to certain places as repayment for the training they have had and then they are free to go where they like. I would imagine that other out of the way places are having similar problems.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Weekend figures are out for this movie, overwhelming success :-D

View attachment 402191
Petition had 4 and half thousand signatures.
takings £18, 447. Cost per seat £4.50, number of folk who turned up to watch 4,099. Not far off the petition.

Petition had 4 and half thousand signatures.
takings £18, 447. Cost per seat £4.50, number of folk who turned up to watch 4,099. Not far off the petition.
With the attention this is being given to on this thread by some people, I had assumed that the petition had been signed by 10s, if not 100s of thousands of people. I hadn’t realised it was the equivalent of less than a third of Kilwinning.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Shock as Nicola Sturgeon refuses to curtsy to the Queen as she visits Holyroodhouse | Breaking News Online

Now I realise that the above is just a headline grabbing piece of journalism, however it does tell you of Sturgeon's mindset. She really believes she is HM's equal and therefore does not need to curtsy.
In times past she would have been seperated from her head. In these more enlightened times we should just vote her onto a virtual scaffold for the amusement of the masses.
You admit it's just headline grabbing and yet infer a lot from said headline.

It's a lot based on one photo. Given the numerous times the FM has met HM why has this never been mentioned before?.

A Google of sturgeon meets queen reveals she gives a bow instead of a curtsy.
Not uncommon these days, believe May does same.

Can we just put her in the stocks and throw rotten fruit at her then?

There was a report the other day that said that the population of Scotland was dropping and by 2040 it would be down by about 1.2m (number may be wrong but about that area). Businesses were suffering due to a skills shortage. The SNP spokesperson said that this is why Scotland need its own immigration control so that they can import people and train them up to fill this gap in numbers and skills.

Would it not be better to incentivise industry to train up the people you already have and make it a better place to live so that you attract others from within the UK to move there. Reduce the tax level so that people want to move to Scotland so that they can spend more of there earned income on their family.

I wonder if all this continuous talk about Indy is stopping industry comming or investing more in Scotland.

There was a report the other day that said that the population of Scotland was dropping and by 2040 it would be down by about 1.2m (number may be wrong but about that area). Businesses were suffering due to a skills shortage. The SNP spokesperson said that this is why Scotland need its own immigration control so that they can import people and train them up to fill this gap in numbers and skills.

Would it not be better to incentivise industry to train up the people you already have and make it a better place to live so that you attract others from within the UK to move there. Reduce the tax level so that people want to move to Scotland so that they can spend more of there earned income on their family.

I wonder if all this continuous talk about Indy is stopping industry comming or investing more in Scotland.
Which Scottish city bagged most foreign investment deals?

Some interesting snippets in there.

Scotland remains the UK's second most attractive location for foreign direct investment after London although it has seen the number of projects fall by nearly a fifth year on year.
When investors were asked to cite which region of the UK they perceive as the most attractive in which to establish operations 7% named Scotland, more than double the 3% in both 2016 and 2017
London continues to attract the most FDI projects with 458 projects, only seeing a drop of 0.2% from the previous year
Mark Gregory, EY’s chief UK economist adds: “What’s key in the 2019 survey is to look at how regions are performing outside of London. When we do that, we see very similar trends emerging and in that context Scotland is standing ground.
“While FDI projects in London held firm in 2018, the decline in projects across most regions of the UK appeared to reflect the uncertainty surrounding Brexit. Fifteen percent of companies in the 2019 survey of international investors said they have put UK investment plans on hold as a result of the vote to leave the EU.

Targeted immigration can be a good thing, for a variety of reasons, but it can also be unnecessarily restrictive. Poor immigration control can lead to problems further down the line but it can also widen a pool of resourceful people who can enrich a society in oh so many ways. And it has happened since the first humans left the plains of Africa just for the fun of it and slowly colonised the entire planet. As a species, we tend to move around a lot.

In technologically advanced nations, there is a gradual decline in population. This is being experienced around the world. One argument for helping developing nations is that very soon they too will have reached a level where the population begins to fall. Instead of unrelenting population growth with no end in sight, it is estimated that humanity will reach a peak within the next 50-100 years and then start to drop gradually towards a relative equilibrium.

There are definitely skills shortages being experienced in the UK, and immigration can be a stop-gap measure but it isn't the answer. We need to ask the question - since people can already enter the UK, why are they NOT choosing to settle in Scotland? If there was a different mind-set in charge of the process, just what sort of person would they be welcoming in and would they be bringing the benefit they were supposed to? And your comment on tax is especially pertinent - why would you want to move to a location where the better educated and more industrious are penalised for having the very talents you are supposedly trying to encourage?

As for our own people - well, there is a flash to bang effect where we are now experience the shortcomings of plans and decisions of the past that are very much coming back to haunt us. You don't turn this super-tanker around like it it is an Iranian Republican Guard gun-boat. It takes time to correct, but in the meantime where are all the help-to-retrain schemes that were supposed to take those who had been down-sized from declining industries and reskilling them for the future?

As usual with the SNP, words are wind. And don't forget there is a climate emergency on. Perhaps less people is actually a good thing . . .

@Dredd got to take number one daughter out to look at cars now and only skimmed that. I'll be back.

I did read a number of years ago that the birth rate in Singapore was dropping due to the women being better educated (degree level) and wanting more from life than being barefoot and chained to the sink. Female aspirations may be the root cause?