Scottish Politics Thread

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Scotland is a very large country, that option is not open to very many. On my trips North I've not actually noticed any real difference in price (I don't drink the cheap ciders etc). Supermarkets are restricted in the offers they do dahn souf, no buy 6 bottles of wine get 25% off. However they just discount the normal price to achieve the same effect, although not across the whole tranche of wines etc.
Multiple buy bargains and bogof type offers were banned some time ago

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I was under the impression that for those able to do so, a monthly trip to England ensured that they could take advantage of the latest offers in our supermarkets.
Whilst the prospect of that was raised during the initial consultation process, I am not aware of it happening in any substantial quantity.

Cost of fuel used easily outweighs any potential savings for the average person.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

ndolajim

Clanker
Blackford is from a wee constituency somewhere in the wilds of Scotland.
He has a remarkably big head and repulsive behavior in Parliament. He always shouts in the House and his face turns a remarkable red. He is always angry.
Bearing in mind there are approximately 49,000,000 voters in the UK, Blackford's pathetic 15,480 voters seem to give him a sense of importance ridiculously way out of proportion to his true value.
Scotland needs to shed these unpleasant characters, because I and I am sure many others, are getting really pi55ed off with whinging Scots and fed up subsidisng their economy.
I am sure the majority of Scots are not in favour of his performance.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
He has a remarkably big head and repulsive behavior in Parliament. He always shouts in the House and his face turns a remarkable red. He is always angry.
Bearing in mind there are approximately 49,000,000 voters in the UK, Blackford's pathetic 15,480 voters seem to give him a sense of importance ridiculously way out of proportion to his true value.
Scotland needs to shed these unpleasant characters, because I and I am sure many others, are getting really pi55ed off with whinging Scots and fed up subsidisng their economy.
MPs do not need the majority of the UK, just the majority of their constituents to vote them in.
And the current MP only received 37thousand votes at the last GE.

MPs only have to win a majority in the constituency.

Blackford, as leader of 3rd largest party gets to ask questions in the House.

He may not always ask them in the best manner but the SNP do seem to be more of an opposition than Labour are under Corbyn

Attachments

No, mainly because the majority within Scotland Don't want independence from the UK, they want to remain a part of it.

Also, can you imagine the sheer outrage from Scots when foreigners are given more favourable tax breaks, in effect allowing them to keep more of their money, whilst the indigenous population pay for it (as SG still need to raise tax somehow)?

Whilst the prospect of that was raised during the initial consultation process, I am not aware of it happening in any substantial quantity.

Cost of fuel used easily outweighs any potential savings for the average person.
It's an interesting conundrum. It was certainly a factor in the booze cruises in the 90's and naughties ultimately down to the restrictions in the size of vehicle and entitled persons criteria. Plain fact is if people want to buy they will.

offog

LE
Sums these idiots up just put my income tax up to 21% want to debate giving junkies free bus passes and everyone who parks in the city center is a director or manager and Masons other repulsive remarks funny dont see Blackford mention his collegues support for the IRA
I suppose that they have not considered that the rich elite could be chauffeured into town and so not have to pay the tax or as someone who lives in a village near me uses a helli to travel to Leeds every day.

It's an interesting conundrum. It was certainly a factor in the booze cruises in the 90's and naughties ultimately down to the restrictions in the size of vehicle and entitled persons criteria. Plain fact is if people want to buy they will.
I don't think MPA is directly comparable with the 90s booze cruises. At that time the difference in pricing was broad-spectrum and you could buy all sorts of wine and whisky much cheaper in France than the UK.
With MPA it's basically cheap white cider and the cheapest vodka. It's an entirely different proposition.
Most of the population of Scotland is at least 60 miles from the closest English supermarket, so it puts quite a high threshold on a journey to stock up bottles of cheap alcohol. Having said that, I'm sure that it's done by some folk in the borders towns.

I don't think MPA is directly comparable with the 90s booze cruises. At that time the difference in pricing was broad-spectrum and you could buy all sorts of wine and whisky much cheaper in France than the UK.
With MPA it's basically cheap white cider and the cheapest vodka. It's an entirely different proposition.
Most of the population of Scotland is at least 60 miles from the closest English supermarket, so it puts quite a high threshold on a journey to stock up bottles of cheap alcohol. Having said that, I'm sure that it's done by some folk in the borders towns.
My point exactly, that’s why the booze cruises were a realistic analogy, it’s basically a trade off.

doc80905

War Hero
Sums these idiots up just put my income tax up to 21% want to debate giving junkies free bus passes and everyone who parks in the city center is a director or manager and Masons other repulsive remarks funny dont see Blackford mention his collegues support for the IRA
It is utterly bizarre that Mason gets away with what he says.

Of course, in his strange alternate universe, a welder at BAE Systems, or a shift CNC turner in Albion Automotive is part of the elite so must pay a parking tax, whereas the chief exec of NHS Greater Glasgow isn't part of the elite and is thus exempt. Not to mention all the people who work in hospitality at places like the SEC who park at work, upper class elitist toffs like, er, kitchen porters and table staff, maintenance sparkies and riggers.

Latest Threads