Scottish Politics Thread

Effectively, Rockall falls within the coastal waters of South Harris, so the SG have primary jurisdiction.
I doubt that, despite NS attempting to overturn the last Scottish Independence referendum Scotland remains a part of the UK. Therefore they are UK territorial waters.

That may mean that Fisheries are devolved to the SG but unless or until Scotland is no longer part of the UK the waters are UK's so the UK has primary jurisdiction, Scotland secondary.

I doubt that, despite NS attempting to overturn the last Scottish Independence referendum Scotland remains a part of the UK. Therefore they are UK territorial waters.

That may mean that Fisheries are devolved to the SG but unless or until Scotland is no longer part of the UK the waters are UK's so the UK has primary jurisdiction, Scotland secondary.
For the enforcement of fisheries within Scotland's part of UK waters, the SG has primary jurisdiction.

Britain's sea fisheries have been protected and controlled by the authority of Parliament for nearly 200 years, but in 1882 responsibility for protecting Scottish waters was given to the Fishery Board for Scotland.

Vessels

My search took me to the Scot Gov webpage: The Scottish Government - gov.scot

First item on the front page "Scotland voted to remain in the European Union". Perhaps it's just me but I thought it was a UK vote, not broken down into towns or regions.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
My search took me to the Scot Gov webpage: The Scottish Government - gov.scot

First item on the front page "Scotland voted to remain in the European Union". Perhaps it's just me but I thought it was a UK vote, not broken down into towns or regions.
You are not wrong but you must just consider the gov.scot as the SNP media outlet.

Reading the article I see no evidence of bullying, just someone with actual experience and knowledge asking legitimate questions and raising some good points.

The problem I see is his wifes ministerial position could be seen as political interference from the very top of the SG through her husband, not a very clever appointment to a Holyrood committee and smells of nepotism by the SNP.

Reading the article I see no evidence of bullying, just someone with actual experience and knowledge asking legitimate questions and raising some good points.

The problem I see is his wifes ministerial position could be seen as political interference from the very top of the SG through her husband, not a very clever appointment to a Holyrood committee and smells of nepotism by the SNP.
Nepotism in the SNP, i cannot believe that.

Indeed. SG may have the administration of Scottish Fisheries as part of of their economic baliwick but AIUI the issue of protection of UK waters remains with London.

Leave poor Nicola alone it’s not her fault her Government is tied to Westminster’s purse strings. It isn’t her fault that NHS Scotland are funded by her government.
It sure as shite not her fault that NHS suffers from a bullying regime that has yet to be ahem expunged.
Give Nicola a break, she really is trying to sustain support and ehh shape Scotland into a 21st century banana republic with the EU representing United Fruit

Funny how anyone critical or impartial gets the Tory label.
Absolutely.

She must be concentrating really hard on education instead.

After all, that's what we have been asked to judge her on, is it not?

Last edited:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Leave poor Nicola alone it’s not her fault her Government is tied to Westminster’s purse strings. It isn’t her fault that NHS Scotland are funded by her government.
It sure as shite not her fault that NHS suffers from a bullying regime that has yet to be ahem expunged.
Give Nicola a break, she really is trying to sustain support and ehh shape Scotland into a 21st century banana republic with the EU representing United Fruit

Funny how anyone critical or impartial gets the Tory label.
We've just had a QC's Inquiry into bullying.
We have a huge bullying problem.

Unintended consequence of the problem is that there's a staff member whose performance has deteriorated recently from the previous poor to now quite frankly abysmal.
I mentioned it to their line manager and was told that it's now very difficult to raise any sort of performance related issues with staff as they immediately cry victimisation and bullying!