Scottish Politics Thread

@Lindermeyer. Look. When Ford closes it’s doors in Bridgend, what will replace it? Those people will either have to move to work or find something else. The problem IMHO is that no government is pro U.K. manufacturing preferring global conglomerates to “invest” in this country. .
I agree - Like I say failed Policies - poor ideas - London centric.
Im not disagreeing with this.

Restricting immigration (0 Net) is something the UK should be doing as should several other countries - including a few in Africa ie those who cannot in theory feed the current population** with land available - If only to reduce Carbon emissions from transport of food. Others such as Eastern Europe require people.

I admit to a slight Malthusian outlook (as it was originally not how some have used it )

** That's only a few in Africa who Cannot - I concede theres plenty currently unable thanks to chronic mismanagement war and other causes.

Nope lost me as to relevance to the discussion and what the hell is a ten pound tom
A Ten Pound Pom was a British immigrant to Australia in the 1960's, when the Colony needed to entice more people to their horrendously hot and dangerous country. The cost to the Brit was the princely price of a crisp tenner (old money).

Interesting and somewhat funny to see that Rockall is claimed by the UK but Scotland is fighting for it's protection. Not sure if that's the SG attempting to assert it's claim or defending the UK's.
I'm more curious about the how of defending it. Has SG got a navy now?

established and operated by the Australian Government, attracted over one million British migrants between 1945 and 1972.
Indeed, so the net effect of Windrush is merely replacing exported cheap labour. I mean how biased can one get Basically for all the talk about welfare, it seems that the Brit Gov under Attlee saw the opportunity to get rid of pesky Brits, always causing problems and get a more compliant force-phase two eastern Europe where a regular British income is a substantial uplift. Perhaps some will understand my jaundiced view of the land "fit for Heroes" and in Context it's the other side of Kipling-

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I'm more curious about the how of defending it. Has SG got a navy now?
In terms of fisheries protection, The SFPA was merged with FRS a decade ago to form Marine Scotland.

Marine Scotland has 3 boats, Minna, Hirta and Jura for Fishery Protection and another 3 for science side, Scotia, Alba-Na-Mara and Temora.

It owns 2 aircraft, Cessnas of some sort.

Interesting and somewhat funny to see that Rockall is claimed by the UK but Scotland is fighting for it's protection. Not sure if that's the SG attempting to assert it's claim or defending the UK's.
Will the ROI go running to the EU for adjudication ? No doubt the Irish Fishermen will be looking to there government for a response.

Leave poor Nicola alone it’s not her fault her Government is tied to Westminster’s purse strings. It isn’t her fault that NHS Scotland are funded by her government.
It sure as shite not her fault that NHS suffers from a bullying regime that has yet to be ahem expunged.
Give Nicola a break, she really is trying to sustain support and ehh shape Scotland into a 21st century banana republic with the EU representing United Fruit

Funny how anyone critical or impartial gets the Tory label.

Last edited:
Fisheries are a devolved matter north of the border, so the SG are correctly defending both their claim and the UK's. The SG could, of course, always request assistance from the RN Fishery Protection Squadron... ;)

Last edited:
Fisheries are a devolved matter north of the border, so the SG are correctly defending both their claim and the UK's. The SG could, of course, always request assistance from the RN Fishery Protection Squadron... ;)
Fisheries are indeed a devolved issue but it is the UK's territorial waters, within which Rockall sits, that are in dispute as is the fishing. It appears the SG is defending the UK's territory and Scotlands fishing rights within it.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Fisheries are indeed a devolved issue but it is the UK's territorial waters, within which Rockall sits, that are in dispute as is the fishing. It appears the SG is defending the UK's territory and Scotlands fishing rights within it.
Effectively, Rockall falls within the coastal waters of South Harris, so the SG have primary jurisdiction.