Scottish Politics Thread

Ruth Davidson is due back from maternity leave. Given the current state of politics and the "Conservative & Unionist Party" in particular, her return to Scottish politics is a matter of some anticipation and importance. Scottish Labour's reputation has yet to recover, if it ever can. SNP was better the devil the punters knew but with hindsight are falling from favour. Under Davidson, the Scottish Conservatives had a startling surge and shocked SNP and Labour by taking so many seats from them. Are sufficient of the electorate able to separate Davidson from May? Can Ruth pull of a spectacular sea change in Scottish politics in the next few years that would knock SNP in to opposition?

What currency will an "independent" Scotland use? If it is allowed to join the EU it will have to adopt the Euro.
How will Scotland meet the criteria for joining the EU?
What sovereignty will Scotland have?
How will it protect itself? Will it pay for protection? Who will provide that protection? The EU? NATO?
How will Scotland stay in NATO under SNP anti-nuclear constraints?
The UK of England, Wales and N.I, is unlikely to set tariffs for imported food from Scotland. How will EU tariffs and rules affect farming?
SNP will likely sign up to Schengen as they believe that the Scottish population is too small, too old and reducing.
Who will move to Scotland? Where will they live? Transport? Housing? NHS? Food? Will appropriate behaviour training be provided to immigrants from a culture of violence against women and different faiths for example?
Will Frau Merkel provide expert advice on the above based on experience of how not to do it?
I do not know how you can square ethnic nationalism with an immigrant society? various ethnic groups in kilts?

US do it with the flag, constitution and the hope of upward mobility if you work hard, Australia with matesmanship, NZ with evolving Anglo-Maori culture and Canada with a liberal identity,keep the French part sweet and fear of being sucked into the Union to the South. Immigrants to Scotland would just see it as a back door to London town via Megabus?

UK Gov says no Indy Ref 2 as the last one was for a generation. Bugger! just when I thought I might go to that there foreign country north of Carlisle. Let's hope Wee Nippy declares UDI. :cool:
UK government 'will not grant indyref2 consent'

That the present Government is of no importance due to its impending exit is interesting. Almost as if she is expecting the next PM of whichever party to accede to her demands sorry polite request.

Smart words for her party, smug to those undecided. The school of Salmond has yet to be extinguished from Scottish politics be it Westminster or Holyrood

Genuine question, has there been a very recent poll showing Aye or No population stats ?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
UK government 'will not grant indyref2 consent'

That the present Government is of no importance due to its impending exit is interesting. Almost as if she is expecting the next PM of whichever party to accede to her demands sorry polite request.

Smart words for her party, smug to those undecided. The school of Salmond has yet to be extinguished from Scottish politics be it Westminster or Holyrood

Genuine question, has there been a very recent poll showing Aye or No population stats ?
Last major poll was a Sunday Times one in Dec 2018, had 45% Yes, 51% No and 4% undecided so a reduced lead down to 6%. IIRC most of the polls in late 2018 were sitting around low 40s for Yes and High 40s, very low 50s for No with undecided in 7-8% range. The No lead was generally around 7 or 8%

However there was a brief period in June 2016 when Cameron resigned when the Yes were in the lead in 3 or 4 successive polls, though this reverted back to it's more usual stance when May was appointed PM.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I do not know how you can square ethnic nationalism with an immigrant society? various ethnic groups in kilts?

US do it with the flag, constitution and the hope of upward mobility if you work hard, Australia with matesmanship, NZ with evolving Anglo-Maori culture and Canada with a liberal identity,keep the French part sweet and fear of being sucked into the Union to the South. Immigrants to Scotland would just see it as a back door to London town via Megabus?
wedding.jpg

This chap seems to have managed!

Sturgeon calls IndyRef2.......

.....SNP start the process to elect a new leader!
She doesn't want one anyhoo, they'd get trashed. She does want TMPM or some other Toreeeeeeeeeeeee to knock her back though. Finest grievance manufacturing.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Interesting suggestion on Radio Scotland yesterday, as most folk have already decided their Independence stance, any such IndyRef2 should be announced and then held 2 weeks later.
Long protracted periods of debate merely build up friction and division on a subject most folk have already decided.

Interesting suggestion on Radio Scotland yesterday, as most folk have already decided their Independence stance, any such IndyRef2 should be announced and then held 2 weeks later.
Long protracted periods of debate merely build up friction and division on a subject most folk have already decided.
I was disenfranchised last time, as my postal vote didn't reach me (BFPO) in sufficient time for me to use it. A two week timeframe would do the same for many postal voters.

The wee witch is gobbing off again this morning on BBC News.
I wonder if she will be sharing a platform with wee eck anytime soon, in order to reinforce her independence message?
Westminster and Holyrood - what a crock!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I was disenfranchised last time, as my postal vote didn't reach me (BFPO) in sufficient time for me to use it. A two week timeframe would do the same for many postal voters.
It was a hypothetical, it is an interesting scenario especially if such issues as postal voting could be solved. Some form of online vote? Unique code and log in?

Nippy has done her yearly "Keep the Cult Raging" speech. Tells the world that she will be calling for another referendum, waits for Westminster to say "No", then gives the "We are under the bootheel of the English, poor us!" speech to the party faithful.
Yearly SNP bullmanure rhetoric that the moonhowlers love.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
:rolleyes:
Nippy has done her yearly "Keep the Cult Raging" speech. Tells the world that she will be calling for another referendum, waits for Westminster to say "No", then gives the "We are under the bootheel of the English, poor us!" speech to the party faithful.
Yearly SNP bullmanure rhetoric that the moonhowlers love.
Well why not? It's not as if there are any major political events going on in the UK at present so she might as well fill the void!:rolleyes:

It was a hypothetical, it is an interesting scenario especially if such issues as postal voting could be solved. Some form of online vote? Unique code and log in?
Right, just like some Liebour attempts at postal voting, don’t worry Granny McKenzie, just give us your password and the SNP will ensure you vote. Sadly you need to get real, the older generation is probably not ready or equipped for such a system.
@Fang_Farrier has t’internet reached KLB yet or as it was in my day all communication by Post Bus?

Last edited:
Nice idea BUT the SNP will need the next 2years to come up with some ideas to put into the second volume of the fantasy novel Scotland’s Future. To be fair we do need to see what we are voting for/laughing at.
Whatever happened to NP?

Right, just like some Liebour attempts at postal voting, don’t worry Granny McKenzie, just give us your password and the SNP will ensure you vote. Sadly you need to get real, the older generation is probably not ready or equipped for such a system.
@Fang_Farrier has t’internet reached KLB yet or as it was in my day all communication by Post Bus?
I have to agree with you on that. My wife is not yet 60 and would not have a clue on how to do it. She has difficulty turning on the computer and has only just got used to using whatsapp with the children. If she had to use it every week she may get the hang of it but ones or twice every 5 years you have no hope.

I have to agree with you on that. My wife is not yet 60 and would not have a clue on how to do it. She has difficulty turning on the computer and has only just got used to using whatsapp with the children. If she had to use it every week she may get the hang of it but ones or twice every 5 years you have no hope.
What's whatsapp :-?

With the inexorable move towards everything being transferred exclusively onto the sexy and alluring concept of doing everything 'online', from shopping to banking and even now signing mortgages without needing to meet anyone face-to-face, it really is only a matter of time before digital voting is the norm here. Other countries are already doing it so the trial period is now underway.

The main contention is not access by the voter, but access by other interested parties into who you voted for. As discussed on the site before (and possibly even in this thread), there is a registration number recorded when you currently vote that some have stated could (if you had the time and inclination) marry up your ballot paper to your name and hence address. Most agree though that the effort involved is way beyond the capability or even competence of our past and current governments. However, digital records are far easier to hack into and this causes some to take a sharp intake of breath when it is suggested.

But it will happen. Cost will be the main driver, and assurances that the system is encrypted / secured / managed by the Chinese who are ultra-secretive anyway will be used to persuade us that this is A GOOD IDEA. And young 'uns don't give a toss for their personal privacy anyway, if social media is anything to go by, so they will not need much persuasion to go this route (indeed, they are confused on why the cannot do it already) and think anyone with reservations about it are just auld crusties.

It costs an absolute fortune to run a paper-based voting system. With an estimated (off the top of my head) 75% of the voters choosing to do so digitally when it is finally offered to them, the remainder will be given the option of using FREEEPOST to send in their paper ballot. The cost of the mailing bill will be significantly lower than operating polling stations across the country, to powers of ten.

It's coming, and may be sooner than you think.