Scottish Politics Thread

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
It is not just 'drug abuse' either but alcohol abuse as well, my BiL dropped out of the adoption process for similar reasons. Foetal alcohol syndrome

The term substance abuse is usually used for such folk because it is most often a combination of drugs and alcohol, the drugs being dependent upon what is available at the time.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I was thinking more along the lines of state-sponsered contraception for those whose lifestyles are incompatible with childrearing.
There have been various trials whereby folk on methadone have been "encouraged" to go get a contraceptive implant. Often by a small financial reward.

Whilst they have proven successful they have met with criticism from the human rights lobby.

I was thinking more along the lines of state-sponsered contraception for those whose lifestyles are incompatible with childrearing.
There are females out there who are born, grow up then eventually die unwrapped….the current FM is neither a brown paper bag or half bottle of whisky dutch courage…..she is ugly plain n simple.

There have been various trials whereby folk on methadone have been "encouraged" to go get a contraceptive implant. Often by a small financial reward.

Whilst they have proven successful they have met with criticism from the human rights lobby.
To which criticism I would respond with "Are you defending the right to harm your unborn child?"

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
To which criticism I would respond with "Are you defending the right to harm your unborn child?"
Unfortunately it is not usually those who would be the recipients of any contraception who are arguing against such measures, they are usually quite happy to take £20 for a depo injections

Addicts paid to use contraception An old report from 2011 about a US charity which was paying women to take contraception, the BMA didn't back it then and don't think they have changed their mind since.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Are they defending the right of addicts to harm their unborn children?
Bearing in mind that I fully support contraception for substance abusers, I am perhaps the wrong person to ask!
But my understanding is that interferes with the abusers right to choose what medical treatment they have.
The child is not yet in existence at that point so is technically irrelevant to the argument.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Actually, having read the BBC article you linked, it would seem that the BMA were being very non-committal about this, as they were reported to "not have a view" on the issue.

So as I said they did not support it.

But the opposition is not from the medical side but from the human rights brigade.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
for those of a sweet tooth nature
For four months Lees have been waiting on a Czech engineer arriving to fix a rather expensive machine
Brexit is to blame apparently

Then more fool the business for installing machines with limited repair support. Certainly NOT a Brexit problem, problem is business planning short-sightedness.
Get with the programme, it's the EU's fault - punishing us for leaving.

Get with the programme, it's the EU's fault - punishing us for leaving.
The EU isn't punishing anyone for leaving, if anything the UK side has completely failed in negotiation. If the EU weren't open to negotiation we'd have been heading for a No Deal Brexit from the beginning, and we weren't, were we?

With relevance to the post I referred to, currently there is no block on anyone from the EU entering the UK, either to live, work or visit so it plainly isn't Brexit nor is it the UK government or EU's fault. I repeat, poor planning by the business.

The EU isn't punishing anyone for leaving, if anything the UK side has completely failed in negotiation. If the EU weren't open to negotiation we'd have been heading for a No Deal Brexit from the beginning, and we weren't, were we?

With relevance to the post I referred to, currently there is no block on anyone from the EU entering the UK, either to live, work or visit so it plainly isn't Brexit nor is it the UK government or EU's fault. I repeat, poor planning by the business.
I was being sarcastic.
Many of the same people who accuse the SNP of grievance politics are the worst offenders at blaming the EU for the misery in their lives. One haunter of this board in particular, usually when he can't find his Werthers.