Scottish Politics Thread

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
A quick check of the Scottish Governments quarterly figures for Police numbers confirms a radio report this morning that numbers are at a 10 year low.

The area covering the NE of Scotland has lost 40 officers in the last 6 months alone.

However, keen to put a spin on things, despite stating and showing they have lost 103 officers in the last 12 months, they proudly state the figures are 913 FTE officers more since 2007.

What they don't make clear is the change in employment at the start of 2008 where they made civilian post FTE posts, thus increasing "police" numbers without actually having boots on the ground.

https://www2.gov.scot/Topics/Statistics/Browse/Crime-Justice/PublicationPoliceStrength

@2/51 does this include the numbers taken on from the BTP or is the drop in numbers due to the BTP officers not wanting to transfer to PS.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Hundreds of babies born 'addicted' to drugs

This is a Scotland wide problem, and we repeatedly fail to take action to stop it.
Was told about this around 8 years ago by social workers in Dundee as we were going through the adoption process, warning us all that because of the number of "damaged" babies it was unlikely anyone adopting would get their idea of a perfect child. We dropped out of the process, partly because of this but mainly because I didn't think we were ready.

It's far from just a Scottish problem by the way, it's across the UK.

Was told about this around 8 years ago by social workers in Dundee as we were going through the adoption process, warning us all that because of the number of "damaged" babies it was unlikely anyone adopting would get their idea of a perfect child. We dropped out of the process, partly because of this but mainly because I didn't think we were ready.

It's far from just a Scottish problem by the way, it's across the UK.
It is not just 'drug abuse' either but alcohol abuse as well, my BiL dropped out of the adoption process for similar reasons. Foetal alcohol syndrome

It is not just 'drug abuse' either but alcohol abuse as well, my BiL dropped out of the adoption process for similar reasons.
Yep, was told a story of a young unmarried woman who had her new born taken from her virtually straight after giving birth because of alcohol addiction. Apparantly this was the latest of several, each to different fathers, she had removed in 12 years or so.

Just imagine the sheer pain a baby must go through on birth, then add the withdrawl symptoms from being born with drug or alcohol damage, shocking.

Yep, was told a story of a young unmarried woman who had her new born taken from her virtually straight after giving birth because of alcohol addiction. Apparantly this was the latest of several, each to different fathers, she had removed in 12 years or so.
The problem is that by the time they have given birth it is too late and the damage to the child has been done. People who want to give birth need to stop boozing, smoking and toking for the duration of the pregnancy.

Or better still, don't get pregnant.
I agree but so many young girls see laying on their back with their legs apart as a way to a) attract a potential partner, b) get better housing/benefits by having a sprog c) keeping up with their mates d) being too drunk/spaced out to say no. And so many boys see girls these days as a 'one nighter' and then move on so it does not cramp their social life. A bad mix in all senses.

I agree but so many young girls see laying on their back with their legs apart as a way to a) attract a potential partner, b) get better housing/benefits by having a sprog c) keeping up with their mates d) being too drunk/spaced out to say no. And so many boys see girls these days as a 'one nighter' and then move on so it does not cramp their social life. A bad mix in all senses.
I was thinking more along the lines of state-sponsered contraception for those whose lifestyles are incompatible with childrearing.

The problem is that by the time they have given birth it is too late and the damage to the child has been done. People who want to give birth need to stop boozing, smoking and toking for the duration of the pregnancy.
Agree, but in the case I mentioned, the woman had "learning difficulties", and was using the old buy me booze and I'll let you have sex with me routine and believing that was love.

Strangely enough non of the several fathers decided they loved her that much once the pregnancy was announced, buggering off and leaving the state to pick up the bill. Learning difficulties in this case means thick, once bitten twice shy but this woman had a lot more than two opportunities to learn from her experiences so to me that's just pure thick.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
We have fostered for the last 8 years or so, mostly neonatal abstinence babies. The majority of mothers have not been young, nor single.
Their chaotic lifestyle usually just means that they can not effectively deal with contraception. It's the on
e pill that they forget to take!