Scottish Politics Thread

Now that IS frightening. While the SNP have been busy equating themselves as the epitome of what being Scottish is all about, they now claim that they are a "philosophical belief" to the point of being a religious calling and not just a political opinion, so should be treated differently. This is truly astounding. And yet they continue to claim they are not a cult!

And I expect the the basis of the withdrawal of security clearance was because those employed by the MoD cannot be seen to be directly political, although it surprises me he was a councillor during his time with them. It should be that you can be a politician, or work for the State, but not both. That is why we vote for political administrations but not for civil servants - one can be removed, the other cannot.
I'm aware that this person was dismissed by the MoD and haven't yet looked at the TACOS of MoD CS however, the following indicates that should he have been employed by the SG then he would have been sacked also:

Extract from link below:

"Political Impartiality – including serving the Government, whatever its political composition, to the best of your ability and complying with any restrictions that have been laid down on your political activities. Civil servants must not act in a way which is determined by party political considerations or allow advice to be determined by personal political views." The bit in bold would be difficult for anyone standing for any political appointment, whether that's as an SNP* councillor or Deputy Leader.

https://beta.gov.scot/publications/foi-18-01413/foi-18-01413 Information provided.pdf?inline=true

*insert party of choice

Well, my workplace was graced with the presence of the cabinet secretary for something or other on Wednesday

Scotland leads UK fightback in market for strongest steel - Liberty House Group

A pleasant enough guy though comes across as a total lightweight and quite forgettable. Forgettable to the point that nobody could remember his name, the shift manager thinking he was called David Worthington (!) and one of the guys showing him round thinking it was Derek Taylor. That actually got me to thinking which of these nonentities succeeds wee Nippy when she goes? Then again it's not just the SNP or indeed the Scottish Parliament that suffer from being full of nonentities at the moment...

Edit - top marks for managing to put the word "battleships" in our press release.

Well, my workplace was graced with the presence of the cabinet secretary for something or other on Wednesday

Scotland leads UK fightback in market for strongest steel - Liberty House Group

A pleasant enough guy though comes across as a total lightweight and quite forgettable. Forgettable to the point that nobody could remember his name, the shift manager thinking he was called David Worthington (!) and one of the guys showing him round thinking it was Derek Taylor. That actually got me to thinking which of these nonentities succeeds wee Nippy when she goes? Then again it's not just the SNP or indeed the Scottish Parliament that suffer from being full of nonentities at the moment...

Edit - top marks for managing to put the word "battleships" in our press release.
That idiot is the failed uni student who is now supposed to be in charge of the money, when asked what the laffer curve was he didn't have a clue

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
It will be this chap -

Alex Salmond - Wikipedia

They are just like UKIP - only with MPs.

Credit where credit is due - they didn't mistake it for a tank!
TBH, I wouldn't mind that. For all Wee Eck gets a bad press at least he knows how to manage (massage) a budget and most of the centralisation of services came from Der Fuhrer Sturgeon.

It was also under Sturgeon that the SNP accepted candidates to fill SNP slots in constituencies who were not in the Party, hence we have the new Scottish Health Minister who is a card carrying Labour Party supporter who used to be a communist but is an SNP MSP!

This BBC mugshot of WingsOverBath blogger Stuart Campbell reminded me of an epic scene in a Western.

_102806750_wingsclip_frame_285.jpg

Did I actually see on the news yesterday that they had spent £7 million on baby boxes, then someone come on and speak of how good they were and how needed, She had two other older kids, I was under the impression they were for fist time mothers , not every damn woman who had given birth... an I mistaken ?

then again , it's only £7 million

Did I actually see on the news yesterday that they had spent £7 million on baby boxes, then someone come on and speak of how good they were and how needed, She had two other older kids, I was under the impression they were for fist time mothers , not every damn woman who had given birth... an I mistaken ?

then again , it's only £7 million
They've got a 100% satisfaction rating. How is that possible? I certainly wouldn't be satisfied with someone giving me a cardboard box and saying "This will make a suitable cot for the most precious thing in your life." unless I was living in a third world shithole.

Actually, I think I've answered my own question - they must have done the survey in Glasgow

They've got a 100% satisfaction rating. How is that possible? I certainly wouldn't be satisfied with someone giving me a cardboard box and saying "This will make a suitable cot for the most precious thing in your life." unless I was living in a third world shithole.

Actually, I think I've answered my own question - they must have done the survey in Glasgow
Gift horse and mouth?

I remember getting a welcome pack when my two rug rates were born with various items from a number of companies offering baby products. I just assumed it was advertising and get them when they are young strategy. I can't remember the actual items but things like nappies and milk may have been in the bag.

If the Scottish government was switched on they would have gotten the companies to sponsor the boxes and saved money.

In other news I see that Scottish economy soars as GDP growth rate outstips UK.

And I thought my saving rate of 1% was brown and smelly, a 0.2% is soaring away.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Scotland's new police chief announced

One problem solved for scotgov….

With another simmering away with Dr Swinny standing fast

Swinney defends tests for P1 pupils

The P1 tests are interesting, once again it seems that a decent enough policy is being vilified mainly because it has come from the SNP.

All pre school and kids entering school are assessed by every educational authority across Scotland. Either formally or informally, to a different degree depending upon local council protocol.

All this is a standardised test to be delivered across all 32 council areas, with a set of guidelines. From my reading of many of the complaints, there are usually when the tests have not been delivered to those guidelines.

The intention is to give an indication of the overall numeracy and literatiary ability at the start of schooling in each area so that resources can be directed accordingly.

The P1 tests are interesting, once again it seems that a decent enough policy is being vilified mainly because it has come from the SNP.

All pre school and kids entering school are assessed by every educational authority across Scotland. Either formally or informally, to a different degree depending upon local council protocol.

All this is a standardised test to be delivered across all 32 council areas, with a set of guidelines. From my reading of many of the complaints, there are usually when the tests have not been delivered to those guidelines.

The intention is to give an indication of the overall numeracy and literatiary ability at the start of schooling in each area so that resources can be directed accordingly.
I suppose these tests are nothing new really.

I remember back in the middle 1960s being assessed before being accepted at a school in Westbourne near Havant when we came back from Singapore. We stayed in an MoD transit camp there (old POW camp) whilst my Dad sorted out his medical discharge and somewhere for us to live.

I don't remember and moaning about it then.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I suppose these tests are nothing new really.

I remember back in the middle 1960s being assessed before being accepted at a school in Westbourne near Havant when we came back from Singapore. We stayed in an MoD transit camp there (old POW camp) whilst my Dad sorted out his medical discharge and somewhere for us to live.

I don't remember and moaning about it then.
From what I can understand (and Mrs F being a teacher of that age group) they are nothing spectacular at all. It's just the same sort of folk who get worked up about the likes of Named Persons, carrying ID cards, etc who are creating a fuss.

Tiny Miss F will not be in P1 this coming session but year after and absolutely no concerns about her taking these.

FF I did wonder what the fuss was all about after The Heralds front page story

Listening to Dr Swinnys radio debate left me confused his clarity of reasoning is confusing. Seems ScotGov are suffering to maintain education and health with all these vacancies still vacant