Scottish Politics Thread

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I see our favourite Reverend is now locked in a dispute with both YouTube and the BBC, after the BBC complained about copyright infringement and had his YouTube channel closed. Of course it has riled up some of the permanently outraged in the Yes movement, which can be seen in both the comments and on other sites.

The sounds of the silenced
Listening to news earlier, it's been reinstated on YouTube and the BBC are looking into their policies as it appeared that they only objected to Pro Independence channels on youtube. Wings and at last another.

The Herald is on the attack over the Scottish Tory’s “dark money” having funded Mundell’s election campaign.
David Mundell's election campaign financed by Tory 'dark money' fund | HeraldScotland

The money trail from the SUAT to Mr Mundell emerged yesterday when the Electoral Commission published the accounts of hundreds of small party branches across the UK.
These included the Scottish Borders Conservative & Unionist Association (SBCUA), which covers the Tweeddale part of Mr Mundell’s Dumfriesshire, Clydesdale & Tweeddale seat.
The accounts for 2017 said the SBCUA had a paid campaign manager overseeing a series of elections, including Mr Mundell’s general election fight.

“The Association is very grateful to the Scottish Unionist Association Trust for providing 50% of the funds for this crucial campaigning position throughout 2017, with the Association itself being responsible for the balance,” it said.
However there is no public record of the SUAT donating directly to the SBCUA in 2017.
He (Mundell) said: “I personally have not received cash because we go through a process of funding associations and I am confident that over the full period during which I have been involved in politics, all donations I have received from any source have been appropriately declared.”

The Herald is on the attack over the Scottish Tory’s “dark money” having funded Mundell’s election campaign.
David Mundell's election campaign financed by Tory 'dark money' fund | HeraldScotland

The money trail from the SUAT to Mr Mundell emerged yesterday when the Electoral Commission published the accounts of hundreds of small party branches across the UK.
These included the Scottish Borders Conservative & Unionist Association (SBCUA), which covers the Tweeddale part of Mr Mundell’s Dumfriesshire, Clydesdale & Tweeddale seat.
The accounts for 2017 said the SBCUA had a paid campaign manager overseeing a series of elections, including Mr Mundell’s general election fight.

“The Association is very grateful to the Scottish Unionist Association Trust for providing 50% of the funds for this crucial campaigning position throughout 2017, with the Association itself being responsible for the balance,” it said.
However there is no public record of the SUAT donating directly to the SBCUA in 2017.
He (Mundell) said: “I personally have not received cash because we go through a process of funding associations and I am confident that over the full period during which I have been involved in politics, all donations I have received from any source have been appropriately declared.”
Sh1t stirring on behalf of their masters, the SNP. Musn't be much success to report so they sling the muck.

Were these funds registered with the electoral commission
From the article.

The SUAT is under investigation by the Electoral Commission.

At the core of the problem is that the SUAT does not publish accounts, and there is no clarity on where the money comes from.

There is trend in FB threads started by one of my more polite SNP/Nat/Yes acquaintances for to chuck in a racial or homo slur if the target is a Tory. Stuff that would otherwise have the outrage bus standing room only.

Some brave souls have bucked this trend and called out the ‘phobes’ Not me, I’m the Tory Quisling Troll.

The Independence movement will eat itself one day.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Were these funds registered with the electoral commission
Mundell was challenged about this a few days ago on Radio Scotland, his replies were weak at best, just a repeating of all funds are registered. He was definitely flustered and trying to deflect by sticking to a script written for him.
Same answer, even when the question was rephrased and different things asked. Always a sign of a political type in trouble.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Speaking to someone at a local distillery.
Horrors of horror, production has already been hit and will have to be stopped completely without substantial rain soon.
The burn supplying the cooling water for the stills is down to a trickle. Without the water they cannot make the magical elixir of life!

Speaking to someone at a local distillery.
Horrors of horror, production has already been hit and will have to be stopped completely without substantial rain soon.
The burn supplying the cooling water for the stills is down to a trickle. Without the water they cannot make the magical elixir of life!
that'll either be Westminsters fault, or Brexit

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
that'll either be Westminsters fault, or Brexit
The Met Office is part of the Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy so the weather is a reserved matter!

Mundell was challenged about this a few days ago on Radio Scotland, his replies were weak at best, just a repeating of all funds are registered. He was definitely flustered and trying to deflect by sticking to a script written for him.
Same answer, even when the question was rephrased and different things asked. Always a sign of a political type in trouble.
Thanks FF. Not having followed the story that was why I asked

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Independence views 'protected by law'

It appears the MOD is in minor bother for revoking someone's security clearance when they stood for the SNP.
Now that IS frightening. While the SNP have been busy equating themselves as the epitome of what being Scottish is all about, they now claim that they are a "philosophical belief" to the point of being a religious calling and not just a political opinion, so should be treated differently. This is truly astounding. And yet they continue to claim they are not a cult!

And I expect the the basis of the withdrawal of security clearance was because those employed by the MoD cannot be seen to be directly political, although it surprises me he was a councillor during his time with them. It should be that you can be a politician, or work for the State, but not both. That is why we vote for political administrations but not for civil servants - one can be removed, the other cannot.