Scottish Politics Thread

UK spaceport proposed for Sutherland site this was on this morning so obviously not looking hard enough.

It's not even in the middle of nowhere, that would ne being generous. It's on my patch where I work and even from the delights of civilised Dornoch, it takes nearly 2 hours to get there, if you go straight up the country about 2 and half from Inverness but both those take you up single track roads.

The nearest port id Scrabster, a mere hour and half, again single track roads.

Your nearest airport would be Wick, (large enough to fly USAF aircraft into to pick nuclear material from Dounraey!) is just under the 2 hours, again single track roads on route.

It does have Loch Eriboll on one side, a deep water anchorage used by Royal Navy in WW2 and still in use today as part of the Defence Training Estate. But everything that comes ashore there comes by landing craft! It des have some nice reminders of the various ships' visits in the form of ships names outlines in stones in the fields above (I say fields more rough ground really. The matelots nicknamed it Loch 'Orrible!

Was up in NW Sutherland today and couldn't find a single person who didn't think it was perhaps the most stupid place to put a serious piece of infrastructure which will require access by high tech equipment on a regular basis.
No, I got it on the radio new this morning but when I went to get more info tonight it had completely gone from the headlines and been replaced by love island or other such rubbish. I even looked in the Scotland link. A lot more info in the link, thanks. Prestwick it seems is still on the cards. They do seem to have scattered the project all over the UK so the possibility that weather will be a problem has been minimised.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
No, I got it on the radio new this morning but when I went to get more info tonight it had completely gone from the headlines and been replaced by love island or other such rubbish. I even looked in the Scotland link. A lot more info in the link, thanks. Prestwick it seems is still on the cards. They do seem to have scattered the project all over the UK so the possibility that weather will be a problem has been minimised.
Prestwick is still an option for the horizontal launch spaceport, it appears Sutherland is in the running for the vertical launches. Something to do with best trajectory being Northwards over clear water.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
On and just as another gripe, we'll have a fricking spaceport but due to proposed council closures, not an open public toilet in the county!

This will become even more relevant given that any space launch inevitably attracts tourists to watch!

1531809108247.png

Having seen the SNP view of Trump and the protestors in Scotland bedecked in there national colours of Tartan and Rainbow LGBT. Its amazing that party has managed to take over Scotland, who I thought was one of the more sane parts of the country.
I thought Sturgeon looked more orange than ‘The Donald’ as she went ‘gay for the day’ on the Weegie Pride March. Topping up her fake tan to go with her fake sincerity?

Last edited:
There are no tartan rainbows but there may be rainbow tartans. Bay City Rollers hairdo tribute goes horribly wrong?
Allison Pearson described nicola sturgeon as "The love-child of a Bay City Roller and a Shetland Pony"

Last edited:
There are no tartan rainbows but there may be rainbow tartans. Bay City Rollers hairdo tribute goes horribly wrong?
Allison Pearson described nicola surgeon as "The love-child of a Bay City Roller and a Shetland Pony"
Great literary imagery in the first sentence, but truly horrible mental imagery from the last.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Sturgeon appointed to the 6* rank of ‘Grand Marshal’ of the Glasgow LGBGTQ+ Offence Forces. A few of the troops were left behind.

The sequential headlines on the BBC web page seem to suggest that Sturgeon was to blame.

Sturgeon leads Pride march in Glasgow

14 July 2018

Pride Glasgow ticket 'chaos' locks hundreds out of event

14 July 2018
I bet that there was the throwing of handbags and scratching of eyes out at the news that they couldn't get in.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

On the back of that, Sturgeon is going misty eyed over a young chap who it is alleged, having been called a ‘poof’ in his home town remonstrated with the user of proscribed word and got punched in the pan. Not good but is it any worse that getting thumped for fcuk all?

Sturgeon gets to virtue signal, young chap gets new friends on Facebook. Win win. When Biffa Bacon’s Dad gets jailed, win win win.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Review into the running of NHS Highland

Interestingly what this BBC report does mention is that one of the measures recommended that mediators be present during meetings between Chair, Chief Executive and the Non Execs. Always a sign of a healthy Boardroom!

(there was also mention of the fact that Chief Exec had treated Non exec "like mushrooms" over previous cashflow problems when Board eventually had to go cap in hand to Scottish Government for a loan so they could balance the books.

Will be interesting when this external review process is rolled out to other boards such as Tayside which recently lost Chair and Chief Exec over siphoning off Endowment cash to pay for stuff that should have come out of other monies.

Sturgeon appointed to the 6* rank of ‘Grand Marshal’ of the Glasgow LGBGTQ+ Offence Forces. A few of the troops were left behind.

The sequential headlines on the BBC web page seem to suggest that Sturgeon was to blame.

Sturgeon leads Pride march in Glasgow

14 July 2018

Pride Glasgow ticket 'chaos' locks hundreds out of event

14 July 2018
Meanwhile she didn't even get on the bottom rung of rank of national leader when Trump kissed of meeting her which must have really stung her

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

I see that These-Islands intends to respond to the SNP’s Growth Commission’s recent publication. It should provoke the normal response from the Independence movement, although it won’t address the cultural side of the argument, it seems many on the Unionist side appear to completely ignore that facet of the question. For those interested more details are available: These Islands: Uniting Not Dividing

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Bursting point: Highlands' public loos row

The great Highland loo controversy spoken of above.

Council have admitted that they cocked up the process and the consultation. Basically there was no consultation just an announcement that they are going to close a multitude of loos in the Highlands.

Council have admitted that they cocked up the process and the consultation. Basically there was no consultation just an announcement that they are going to close a multitude of loos in the Highlands.
I do sympathise but the cost of running them must be great.

We did a cruise in May round the Med and every time the wife wanted to go I had to go and get a beer. It's funny how she would complain about the cost of spending a penny but going into a bar and getting a beer so she could go for a pee was acceptable. I know there is logic there but have yet been unable to see it particularly when she came out and said the bar toilet were not clean.

"However, as things pan out, the toilet network on the route looks set to be very different in the coming years."
I see what they did there.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Wouldn't really have mattered if a consultation was held as the council will just go ahead and do it anyway, even if public opinion and a consultation document are 100% against the idea. It is what all councils do.

Wouldn't really have mattered if a consultation was held as the council will just go ahead and do it anyway, even if public opinion and a consultation document are 100% against the idea. It is what all councils do.
You may have to bring in a consultant.

"This is Earth, calling Earth, over."