Scottish Politics Thread

Hard Brexit.

I believe the rhetoric for a while was "no deal is better than a bad deal. "

Still in Common fishery policy but no say in the negotiations? Does not sound very good to the fishing industry.
Whilst I think Hard Brexit is arguably easier than a negotiated solution in some areas, I can see tremendous difficulties in this particular instance. We used to have to devote considerable time and effort to policing our fishing waters, and suddenly ending all agreements with no effective policing organisation in place and not expecting every fishing vessel within striking distance of what we claim to be our exclusive fishing waters to start plundering the fishing stock on day zero with relative impunity is stargazy pie in the sky.

Because they need something to complain and whine about, whether they're for or against it. If for, they'll complain that it's not exactly what they asked for, if against, they'll complain that they haven't got it!
Independence campaigners whining for HMF to return to England.

SNP squealing the loudest when HMF reductions mean closures of bases in Scotland having a detrimental effect on local economies.

They don't know what they want, but they want it NOW!

Oh dear,

Let’s go back to my original point instead of trying to muddy the waters:

The SNP wanted to stay in the EU/CFP .........Yes

Why then are they complaining that we are staying in it during transition?

Simple question that does not involve anybody else?
Yes, I realise that you want to divert attention away from the fact that it is not only the SNP who wanted to stay in the EU/CFP, but also the Scottish Conservatives, so that you can indulge in a little Nat bashing while ignoring the fact that any accusations of hypocrisy can be equalled aimed at Ruth Davidson.

Why indeed are Ruth Davidson and the Scottish Conservatives complaining that we are staying in the CFP during transition?

Simple question. Just like yours.

Because they need something to complain and whine about, whether they're for or against it. If for, they'll complain that it's not exactly what they asked for, if against, they'll complain that they haven't got it!
Is that why Scottish Tories are complaining? Because they need something to complain and whine about whether they're for it or against it?

The double-standards on this thread are hysterical.

What were they "promised" and by whom?
It would also help if you could indicate whether or not you believe a big red bus promised to spend every penny of what we currently pay the EU on the NHS, and if that promise should be binding on anyone who was on that bus.
UK pulls out of London Fisheries Convention to stop countries fishing in British waters
Environment Secretary Michael Gove said: "Leaving the London Fisheries Convention is an important moment as we take back control of our fishing policy.
"It means for the first time in more than 50 years we will be able to decide who can access our waters.
"This is an historic first step towards building a new domestic fishing policy as we leave the European Union - one which leads to a more competitive, profitable and sustainable industry for the whole of the UK."

Google the rest for yourself.

Meanwhile, the Scottish Lib Dems have been focussing on much more important matters.

MSP bids to ban Shetland map boxes

An MSP has launched a bid to ban public authorities from putting Shetland in a box on maps of Scotland.

Tavish Scott, the Lib Dem MSP for the islands, said there was an "important principle" in having accurate maps.

He is attempting to amend the government's Islands Bill to include a "Shetland mapping requirement", ensuring that the islands are depicted "accurately and proportionately".

Yes, I realise that you want to divert attention away from the fact that it is not only the SNP who wanted to stay in the EU/CFP, but also the Scottish Conservatives, so that you can indulge in a little Nat bashing while ignoring the fact that any accusations of hypocrisy can be equalled aimed at Ruth Davidson.

Why indeed are Ruth Davidson and the Scottish Conservatives complaining that we are staying in the CFP during transition?

Simple question. Just like yours.
I’ve already answered your question , they wanted Johnny Foreigner out straight away, now try answering mine

Preferably without trying for another smokescreen

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Fishing deal protest outside Parliament

Conservative backbencher Ross Thomson, who is MP for Aberdeen South, said he was "really disappointed" fishing communities will not regain control of UK waters as soon as it leaves the 27-nation bloc.
Speaking from the fishing trawler, he said: "Literally within seconds of our leaving (the EU), we're handing all of that back."
Mr Thomson, who was among the delegation of MPs to see Mrs May, said that while it was a "productive" meeting, "we were very, very clear that we'll only support an end deal if it delivers for our fishing communities - and we have been absolutely clear that this is a red line for us".

Just to reinforce it not just the SNP that are objecting to the Fishing deal but Scottish Conservatives too.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
"With the news that Scottish fishing will be sold out to the European Union by the Tory Government in exchange for keeping nice shiny banks in London, and other nice rich person stuff post-Brexit, Scottish Conservatives who represent North East fishing communities have faced the wrath of their Brexit voting fisher constituents.
Fishermen from Buckie round to Arbroath and down to Crail and Anstruther have started making plans to use the 13 MPs, many of whom were voted in to replace SNP MPs due to their pro-Brexit stance, as bait as soon they possibly can"

The closer to the truth, the better the satire.
Scottish Tory MPs to be recycled as bait by angry North East fishermen

Conservative backbencher Ross Thomson, who is MP for Aberdeen South, said he was "really disappointed" fishing communities will not regain control of UK waters as soon as it leaves the 27-nation bloc.
Speaking from the fishing trawler, he said: "Literally within seconds of our leaving (the EU), we're handing all of that back."
Mr Thomson, who was among the delegation of MPs to see Mrs May, said that while it was a "productive" meeting, "we were very, very clear that we'll only support an end deal if it delivers for our fishing communities - and we have been absolutely clear that this is a red line for us".

Just to reinforce it not just the SNP that are objecting to the Fishing deal but Scottish Conservatives too.
I hear the point the fishing block is saying but they seem to be deliberately avoiding the "Transition" period. We won't be completely free from EU Fisheries policy until the transition period is over, and maybe not entirely then.

But like your cult colleague you are missing the point that while the SCAU are objecting because they want all foreign boats out as their long term goal the SNP are objecting even though their long term goal is to stay in in the EU and CFP, which hints of more than a little hypocrisy

But obviously the word is out to muddy the waters on this!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
But like your cult colleague you are missing the point that while the SCAU are objecting because they want all foreign boats out as their long term goal the SNP are objecting even though their long term goal is to stay in in the EU and CFP, which hints of more than a little hypocrisy

But obviously the word is out to muddy the waters on this!
My point is that there seems to be a major disagreement between Scottish Conservatives and UK on this one.

I have not mentioned the SNP on this, they have nothing to do with the EU negotiations.

My point is that there seems to be a major disagreement between Scottish Conservatives and UK on this one.

I have not mentioned the SNP on this, they have nothing to do with the EU negotiations.
Yes there is some disagreement however this is only the transitional arrangement but I LOVE your not mentioning the SNP objection because they are not at the table!

It has not stopped them objecting to something they believe in, come on and back up the words of your leaders.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Yes there is some disagreement however this is only the transitional arrangement but I LOVE your not mentioning the SNP objection because they are not at the table!

It has not stopped them objecting to something they believe in, come on and back up the words of your leaders.
If by "your leaders" you are trying to accuse me of being an SNP stooge, you can feck right back to KLB with that one!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Paymaster is not interested in "your point" at all just as long as he can diss the SNP. Everything else is subordinate to that regardless how pertinent to the discussion.

The Scottish Tories are indeed angry and feeling well put out, and I don't blame them. The SNP are in an invidious position in that they loudly support the EU yet have to oppose the government on a policy which, had we voted Remain would have been the policy they supported anyway. It is going to be interesting to see how Acipenser sturio handles this and I expect she will more or less sit back and allow the Scottish Tories to take this on while the SNP make various and probably confusing noises from off stage.

Paymaster is not interested in "your point" at all just as long as he can diss the SNP. Everything else is subordinate to that regardless how pertinent to the discussion.

The Scottish Tories are indeed angry and feeling well put out, and I don't blame them. The SNP are in an invidious position in that they loudly support the EU yet have to oppose the government on a policy which, had we voted Remain would have been the policy they supported anyway. It is going to be interesting to see how Acipenser sturio handles this and I expect she will more or less sit back and allow the Scottish Tories to take this on while the SNP make various and probably confusing noises from off stage.
That’s not quite true there are SNP policies I approve of, but in the main, such as NP, Baby Boxes and the EU they get wrong.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Cc bla
Oh dear if you are offended I apologise but you could still tell me why they object to a policy that if fact they approve
I am not overly concerned about the SNP policy on this issue as it is a moot point due to the fact that as I said, they have nothing to do with Brexit negotiations.

You seem very keen to deflect any discussion of the discord within the Conservatives.

Am up in Lochinver today and there is not a lot of love for the Tories compared to prior to the fishery announcement.

Cc bla

I am not overly concerned about the SNP policy on this issue as it is a moot point due to the fact that as I said, they have nothing to do with Brexit negotiations.

You seem very keen to deflect any discussion of the discord within the Conservatives.

Am up in Lochinver today and there is not a lot of love for the Tories compared to prior to the fishery announcement.
Errr, I think I have now addressed that on two occasions, SCAU are disappointed that Westminster have not been able to complete withdrawal from the CFP during the transitional period.

Now if you “believe” that the SNP have nothing to do with BREXIT negotiations why, in your logic, are they commenting on any of it?